Rigby PH 416 Rigby at the range

"Whether crafted in 1775, today or the years in between, this is where you can discuss your Rigby rifles and shotguns."
Chamois71

Re: Rigby PH 416 Rigby at the range

Post by Chamois71 »

That’s the best way to take Murphy out of the situation/hunting trip; shoot as much as possible from positions and at distances you’ll encounter! Way to do it Rod! As much as I think it would be great to have a big brother (.416) to my .275, I don’t think I’ll need that much gun for the deer and bear shooting I’ll be doing in the NE states…however if the bigger bore bug gets the best of me, I think a 9.3x62 HS would be the order of the day! :dance:
"That if you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on the animal’s terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always recapture the day." —R.Ruark

MD Driver

Post by MD Driver »

Hi Rod,

A small point….. I’ve got a PH in .416 and a full-up Big Game in .375. Maybe it’s my aged eyesight, but there is NO difference in the build quality between them. While the .416 has “PH” inscribed on the pistol grip cap, and the .375 has some color case hardening of the ends of the recoil bars, these guns are otherwise identical, even in walnut grade. (I bought both from dealers in Texas, so obviously no factory upgrades were selected). So most likely yours is the same, and I’ll suggest that even though Rigby makes a distinction between the models, it’s negligible and your PH is as nice as most anything else they produce.

Cheers,
Brad

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

MD Driver wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:53 am Hi Rod,

A small point….. I’ve got a PH in .416 and a full-up Big Game in .375. Maybe it’s my aged eyesight, but there is NO difference in the build quality between them. While the .416 has “PH” inscribed on the pistol grip cap, and the .375 has some color case hardening of the ends of the recoil bars, these guns are otherwise identical, even in walnut grade. (I bought both from dealers in Texas, so obviously no factory upgrades were selected). So most likely yours is the same, and I’ll suggest that even though Rigby makes a distinction between the models, it’s negligible and your PH is as nice as most anything else they produce.

Cheers,
Brad
G’day Brad, only just saw your coment…hence the delayed response.

I have to agree with your observations. I also can see no difference in the timber quality between the BG, PH and the highland stalker. The PH has no colour case hardening and that’s about it.

I really do enjoy shooting the Rigbys…… all three tack drive…and my favourite is the PH in 416.

Rod

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

CF08E347-E85F-47C4-8AD7-B0101B20496D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: Rigby Single Square Bridge PH in 416 Rigby

Post by Rod »

Vaughan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:38 am
Rod wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:31 am
Vaughan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:12 am What a fantastic looking rifle! :dance: I'm curious what it weighs?
Thanks, she’s a solid girl ….about 10.5 pounds.
Thought she might be but no doubt you will be glad of the weight when you pull the trigger. :o I've always thought folks made too much fuss about weight anyway......
G’day Vaughn,

I know it’s an old post….but I’ve recently had a couple of blokes comment on the weight of the Big Games. They thought she was too heavy. I disagree.

Last weekend we had to abandon the scheduled Big Game Rifle competition at the range due to strong winds. We couldn’t keep the targets on the frames long enough to shoot at before they blew away. Anyway, we could manage, mostly, to keep the targets up at 25 meters. So we decided to shoot an impromptu Special Snap match. 8 shots in 35 seconds @ 25 meters, standing unsupported.
I shot the.416. Rigby. Below is the target. The flyer is my damned fault.
8F458856-2C50-4292-AE1D-63154AAFF1E5.jpeg
I reckon the blokes at Rigby know what they’re doing 👍

Rod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rsenatro

Post by rsenatro »

Nice shooting, Rod. I am with you on the weight. (With the exception of a high altitude sheep hunt) It's as much about the design and balance of a stock and Rigby obviously has that nailed. Might seem heavy on a spec sheet, but my guess is it doesn't seem heavy in your hands and it sure as hell doesn't beat you up with lots of shooting. I think we all tend to focus on weight because it is so much easier to define than good stock design. That's hard to quantify and even harder to charge for so you tend to only see it on expensive rifles that are out of reach for most guys. Most guys never really know what a great stock is supposed to feel like, so they just want it light. A stockmaker I know put it this way. You get to pick between two women. Woman A weighs 160 pounds. Woman B weighs 150 pounds. Woiman A is 5'11" beach volleyball player. Woman B is a 4'11" couch potato.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

She sure shoots nice Rod! Would've been a bugger if you shot that flyer when something nasty was charging at you.... :lol: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Vaughan wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:01 pm She sure shoots nice Rod! Would've been a bugger if you shot that flyer when something nasty was charging at you.... :lol: :lol:
In that case…I’d have called the “flyer” a “warning shot” :whistle:

Rod

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

rsenatro wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:19 am Nice shooting, Rod. I am with you on the weight. (With the exception of a high altitude sheep hunt) It's as much about the design and balance of a stock and Rigby obviously has that nailed. Might seem heavy on a spec sheet, but my guess is it doesn't seem heavy in your hands and it sure as hell doesn't beat you up with lots of shooting. I think we all tend to focus on weight because it is so much easier to define than good stock design. That's hard to quantify and even harder to charge for so you tend to only see it on expensive rifles that are out of reach for most guys. Most guys never really know what a great stock is supposed to feel like, so they just want it light. A stockmaker I know put it this way. You get to pick between two women. Woman A weighs 160 pounds. Woman B weighs 150 pounds. Woiman A is 5'11" beach volleyball player. Woman B is a 4'11" couch potato.
Thanks mate. You’re correct about how the gun feels in the hand and she is quite pleasant to shoot. I really can’t fault the Rigby BG.
I like your stock maker’s thoughts/ explanation on stock design/weight too. Pretty easy to understand :clap:

Rod

BlaserBado

Post by BlaserBado »

Congratulations Rod !

Super fine. I believe the .416 Rigby to be the finest round for dangerous game - period.

I cannot fully envy you since the bolt is on the (wrong) right side : ) Being a lefty that I am!

BlaserBado

Return to “John Rigby And Company”