Rigby Highland Stalker 30/06 finally goes stalking (updated 02/04/19)

"Whether crafted in 1775, today or the years in between, this is where you can discuss your Rigby rifles and shotguns."
TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Re: Rigby Highland Stalker 30/06 @ the range

Post by TheoR8 »

Very nice looking rifle Rod, you've got a few nice ones now in your collection. :handgestures-thumbup:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Thanks Theo. But I have to admit I've been selling rifles that I haven't shot in years to pay for the Rigby's. Only one Sako left in my safes now :o Still got to buy a heavy rifle and a shotgun :D and I plan on doing a lot of hunting both OS and in Oz. What I have now won't be safe Queens.
Cheers
Rod

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

So with two nice Rigbys sitting in the safe covering most of the worlds game, what are you planning on adding as the “heavy rifle” :think:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

In a magazine rifle that depends on whether I go R8 or 98. If R8 then 458 Lott and if 98 then a Rigby in 416 Rigby. Or....if a second hand one comes along that I like and can afford then a double in 470 Nitro. I'm in no great hurry but I'm planning on my first trip to Africa in 3 years. So getting one a year before I go would be nice.

Rod

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

Rod wrote:In a magazine rifle that depends on whether I go R8 or 98. If R8 then 458 Lott and if 98 then a Rigby in 416 Rigby. Or....if a second hand one comes along that I like and can afford then a double in 470 Nitro. I'm in no great hurry but I'm planning on my first trip to Africa in 3 years. So getting one a year before I go would be nice.

Rod
Two great choices. What do you hope to hunt in Africa. Don't you already have a Rigby in 375H&H (or is that someone else :think: aging sucks) You wouldn't leave that behind....would you. I would think two Rigby's would be way cool but I would worry myself sick something might happen to them.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

dchamp wrote:
Rod wrote:In a magazine rifle that depends on whether I go R8 or 98. If R8 then 458 Lott and if 98 then a Rigby in 416 Rigby. Or....if a second hand one comes along that I like and can afford then a double in 470 Nitro. I'm in no great hurry but I'm planning on my first trip to Africa in 3 years. So getting one a year before I go would be nice.

Rod
Two great choices. What do you hope to hunt in Africa. Don't you already have a Rigby in 375H&H (or is that someone else :think: aging sucks) You wouldn't leave that behind....would you. I would think two Rigby's would be way cool but I would worry myself sick something might happen to them.
I'm hoping...planning on hunting an elephant, and buff. And, maybe if I can fit in a return hunt an eland, kudu, oryx and maybe a leopard. Well, that's the wish list.

Yep, I do have Rigby's in both 375 and 06 and the plan is to use them at least once in Africa.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Sounds like a plan, or a couple really given the species list; Namibia and Zim/Zambia? Just how much do you want an Oryx? ;)

It's been almost two years since I saw my last elephant in the African bush, and perhaps due to fading memory of just how imposing they are I'm back to thinking a 300g Hydro or 350g FMJ from the H&H would be sufficient. I think my attitude would probably change as soon as I made a deposit on a ele trophy fee...

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

Well, after a lot of thought I finally took out a mortgage on the family home and just managed to finance the purchase of some EAW QD pivot mounts for the Highland Stalker. Just $700 delivered to my door. :o

Pulled out the rifle, the S&B 4x scope and checked that the mounts were :handgestures-thumbup: Guess what?...... they were :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone:

Then read the mounting instructions. :shock: :shock: :? :? :oops: :oops: I don't have a degree in engineering....so off to the gunsmith. Just a short 3 hour return drive. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Now, hopefully the rifle and all attachments will be ready for pick-up in just 2 weeks. Then another 3 hour return drive :whistle: :whistle: plus the Gunsmiths fee (he does do excellent work :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: ) and I'll be ready to give her another blast. :whistle: :whistle:

Life wasn't meant to be easy. :violin: :violin: :violin:

Cheers
Rod

arh...fornicate I just should have bought a Tikka T3. :D

9.3M03

Post by 9.3M03 »

Rod

Good choice, when I owned the Sauer 202Takedown I had EAW mounts and never had any issues. They do take some setting up but once set they are excellent.

Cheers

Mark

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Are the mounts a really that hard to set up?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

SPEEDY wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:59 pm Are the mounts a really that hard to set up?
Yep.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Excellent choice Rod, they are excellent quality and really suit the rifle.
Rob will do an excellent job fitting them.
He has done a lot of work for me over the years and I have never been disappointed.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: Rigbey Highland Stalker (Updated) EAW Mounts & scope fitted

Post by Rod »

Went for a drive up to the Gunsmiths yesterday and collected the 30/06. Pretty happy with the fit and look of the mounts and scope.

Hopefully a trip to the range within the week to try her out with the scope.
DSCF7360.JPG
DSCF7361.JPG
DSCF7362.JPG
DSCF7364.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

9.3x64 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:05 am Excellent choice Rod, they are excellent quality and really suit the rifle.
Rob will do an excellent job fitting them.
He has done a lot of work for me over the years and I have never been disappointed.
You were 100% correct. :handgestures-thumbup:

cheers
Rod

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Rigby Highland Stalker (Updated) EAW Mounts & scope fitted

Post by 9.3x64 »

Great to hear mate. Looks fantastic. :clap:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Return to “John Rigby And Company”