Solid copper bullet 182gn

Moderator: deerhunter338mag

AndreyAAA

Solid copper bullet 182gn

Post by AndreyAAA »

IMG_2647.JPG
photo_2023-05-14 10.11.09.jpeg
(Cartridge)8x68s

(Brand of bullet) Noname CNC machined, similar to Barnes TSX.

(Weight of bullet)182gr

(Brand of brass)RWS

(Type of powder)Irbis 555 (similar by burnrate to Alliant RL-19)

(Grains of powder)71

(Brand, and type of primer)Murom KVB-7

(COAL) 3,462"

(CBTO)

(FPS/MPS)2880

(Rifle) R93

(Barrel Length) 22,76"

(Scope) Zeiss Victory 3-12/56

(Weather conditions & temp) indoor range

(Accuracy @ 100 meters) 0,33"/8,5 mm

(Notes)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vaughan

Re: Solid copper bullet 182gn

Post by Vaughan »

Nice going πŸ‘πŸΌ I never did get 180gr TSX to shoot in my 8x68s as well as I wanted so settled on 160gr TTSX. That load would have made me happy!
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

AndreyAAA

Post by AndreyAAA »

Vaughan wrote: ↑Sun May 14, 2023 3:22 am Nice going πŸ‘πŸΌ I never did get 180gr TSX to shoot in my 8x68s as well as I wanted so settled on 160gr TTSX. That load would have made me happy!
Thanks for a feedback, i also shot Sako Hammerhead 200gr in this caliber, got 1MOA on 66gr VV N550/68gr Vectan Tubal 7000. Very good bullet, but it is disappeared from the market.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'd be curious to see how they perform on game.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

AndreyAAA

Post by AndreyAAA »

SPEEDY wrote: ↑Sun May 14, 2023 5:32 pm I'd be curious to see how they perform on game.
Yes, this is most important issue :-) It performs not like SP jacket bullets, but still takes animals down. We have to use this option because of general inflation and supply problems.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I'm curious about the powder - is it the same as VV N555? I'm not familiar with Irbis powders.... lots of things get rebranded, so I was curious.

I've been using VV N550. N555 is, I think, a bit slower and would give lower MVs but could still be worth a try :think:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

AndreyAAA wrote: ↑Mon May 15, 2023 1:31 pm
SPEEDY wrote: ↑Sun May 14, 2023 5:32 pm I'd be curious to see how they perform on game.
Yes, this is most important issue :-) It performs not like SP jacket bullets, but still takes animals down. We have to use this option because of general inflation and supply problems.
Yes it's a bit weird how actual animal welfare takes a 2nd seat hypothetical animal welfare. πŸ€”

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

SPEEDY wrote: ↑Tue May 16, 2023 2:46 am
AndreyAAA wrote: ↑Mon May 15, 2023 1:31 pm
Yes it's a bit weird how actual animal welfare takes a 2nd seat hypothetical animal welfare. πŸ€”
I had a prolonged and ultimately pointless arguement on this point when one of my hunting teams insisted we switch to monos. With the right cal/bullet weight combo (and therefore high MV) and decent placement I don't think it matters too much. Issues arise when those things do not all align, as they frequently don't when you're in the forest.... :think:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've had great success with the TTSX, but most other ones I've tried have been very hit or miss one day to the next.
My golden rule with monolithics is to go lighter in weight and launch it as fast as possible. But a lot of people go the other way and go up in bullet weight for some stupid reason.

AndreyAAA

Post by AndreyAAA »

Vaughan wrote: ↑Tue May 16, 2023 12:10 am I'm curious about the powder - is it the same as VV N555? I'm not familiar with Irbis powders.... lots of things get rebranded, so I was curious.

I've been using VV N550. N555 is, I think, a bit slower and would give lower MVs but could still be worth a try :think:
This powder is made in Russia by oldest Russian powder plant which is famous of frequent fires :-) Irbis can`t be directly compared to VV powders due to it`s specific behaviour. I do rough matching using QuickLoad to see what powder from QL database can give me same speeds with given loads. This particular Irbis 555 according to this method is close to Alliant Reloader-19.

For 180gr copper solids in 8x68 VV550 is a perfect choise in my opinion. My friends tried another powder similar to VV555, shoot same bullet with a speed over 3100 fps without visible overpressure signs.

AndreyAAA

Post by AndreyAAA »

SPEEDY wrote: ↑Tue May 16, 2023 2:46 am Yes it's a bit weird how actual animal welfare takes a 2nd seat hypothetical animal welfare. πŸ€”
When i was a kid, my father and his hunting colleagues have this list of ammunition option :-) Any of this is not designed for hunting purposes but demonstrated good performance. Bullet selection topic creates lot of hot discussions and in my view overcompicated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndreyAAA

Post by AndreyAAA »

Special for you :-) Bullet did a good job, i shot two roe deers and one wild boar last friday. I found only one bullet which shows a need for design improvement to make bullet expand in consistent way and not change the direction in the animal.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Still appears to have worked quite well, roe aren't a big animal so opening up on them, especially with such a small HP is really good.
Maybe extending the small HP to the mid section of the bullet and then widening the mouth of the bullet might increase the shock and open it more evenly.

AndreyAAA

Post by AndreyAAA »

SPEEDY wrote: ↑Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:08 pm Still appears to have worked quite well, roe aren't a big animal so opening up on them, especially with such a small HP is really good.
Maybe extending the small HP to the mid section of the bullet and then widening the mouth of the bullet might increase the shock and open it more evenly.
I think of making four evenly placed scratches in the hollow point cavity to create a stress concentration points. Making wider HP could require tip for better BC, which is excessive complication for now, but we will try this option as well, thanks for suggestion.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

That is awesome that you can reload in Kazakhstan.

I have never been there, my understanding is that you have tremendous wildlife. Ibex, argalis, gazelle, maral, bears, wildboar, leopards, wolf.

Not sure how well his websites still work, as he died a couple of years ago. http://lutzmoeller.net/8-mm/8x68S.php Google Lutz Moeller and bullets. He has a wealth of information on the 8x68s and home made copper bullets.

Return to β€œ8X68S Database”