New Swarovski Z5i

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

New Swarovski Z5i

Post by ebrownw2 »

Swarovski has introduced an illuminated reticle version of the popular Z5 riflescope. It will be available April 1. All three models are now available with either the PLEX-I or BRH-I reticle without the BT, and in the PLEX-I or 4W-I with the BT. They will cost $300 more than the non illuminated scopes. Feel free to contact me for more information, or to place an order.

Eddie
ebrownw2@gmail.com
580-239-0198

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Re: New Swarovski Z5i

Post by ebrownw2 »

Here is a link to the web page for more details:

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/z5-c200503

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Great news. For those of us who hunt early, late and after dark the illuminated reticles were a Godsend in the first place. I've had several Z5 scopes and found them to be very good. Now that they've added illumination they should be the cats azz. My first German made rifle is still in need of a scope. Have a z5 5-25-52 that was going to go on it but I reckon it'll be an illuminated one now that they've been modernized.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Now if they could add a rail.....

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Perfect timing :D And the Z 2.4/12/50 plex is a much more substantial reticle than those spider web things on the Z6.

And it doesn't have that clunky thingy on the ocular. Here's hoping the illumination controls are Zeiss (and old Swaro) simple and not complicated with menus, modes, and all that superfluous crap.

I have a scope mounting issue which reared its ugly head only two days ago, and this is looking like a solution :D

Just have to wait a few months. Hopefully they will appear on time in Aus.

Edit: Oops - looking at the wrong pic - They do have all that clunky complication and superfluous crap on the ocular. That's a serious disappointment, but still worth having a look at one.

LAairhunter

Post by LAairhunter »

Ditto on wanting the rail!

I always wished that I’d found a way to procure a railed Z4i (in the USA) back when they were on the market (in Europe).

I’d also find it more appealing if I could get the Z5i in a railed version.

Ed, Corjack, Pigeon (et.al.), do y’all foresee the Z5i ever being offered in a railed version?

Mark

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

I agree 100%, Robert and Mark. This scope with a rail would be the bee’s knees. Rail Mount scopes offer so many advantages over ring mounts it makes me really scratch my head as to why rings are even still an option.

However, I do not see that happening. For whatever reason rails have never caught fire in the USA market and this scope is primarily aimed at that market.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

I’m sure if there were say 20moa rail mounts there would be a great deal more sales. For those mid to longer ranges
Possibly.

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

thechamp wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:51 pm Now if they could add a rail.....
Buy a Z8i instead - comes with SR rail, illuminated reticle and the best-ever optics so far... :-)
And there are plenty to choose from:

https://www.titanium-gunworks.com/hunti ... i-edition/

:mrgreen:
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.com

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

Several of you have captured the essence of good ideas (that probably won't happen) due to cautious marketing by Swarovski. I'm actually a little surprised they illuminated the Z5. A rail would be great, but then the Z5 would overly compete with the Z6/Z8. Similarly, notice the 1" tube on the Z5 - surely a 30mm tube would be more popular, but again, competition with the Z6/Z8. I also can't determine if the glass/coatings are exactly the same or "similar" between the Z5, Z6, and Z8. The good news is that Swarovski makes world class optics at several price points :clap: . . . but by the time you get your rail, 30mm tube, and high-end glass/coatings, you've probably spent some serious money.

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

slugslinger wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:08 am Several of you have captured the essence of good ideas (that probably won't happen) due to cautious marketing by Swarovski. I'm actually a little surprised they illuminated the Z5. A rail would be great, but then the Z5 would overly compete with the Z6/Z8. Similarly, notice the 1" tube on the Z5 - surely a 30mm tube would be more popular, but again, competition with the Z6/Z8. I also can't determine if the glass/coatings are exactly the same or "similar" between the Z5, Z6, and Z8. The good news is that Swarovski makes world class optics at several price points :clap: . . . but by the time you get your rail, 30mm tube, and high-end glass/coatings, you've probably spent some serious money.

Regards,
I'm a little vague on some of the HD stuff but from what I've heard the Z8 and upper levels of the Z6 have HD glass which does help quite a bit. The lower end Z6 models, Z5, Z4 (?) and Z3 have regular Swarovski glass which is plenty adequate for 99% of your hunting. The Z5 specializes in being lightweight for your mountain/stalker type hunter. All of Swarovski's models are actually light when compared to the competition. Compare the Z8i to a comparable power in Zeiss's lineup and you'll save 30-40% of the weight with Swarovski. Rough estimate... don't have time to get the numbers this morning. :lol:

I think the Z5i will satisfy the guys who've gotten used to hunting with the red illuminated dot in the Z6i and Z8i models but now they can have it on their lightweight guns. I've owned several Z5 models and they are very nice scopes. The mechanics on the Z5 are better than the Z3 model. It's a matter of springs that are used on the higher end models as well. Never had an issue with a Z3 or AV model but some folks did and once you experience a problem with something, the less likely you are to buy it again. Swarovski is smart enough to realize once they have sold a ton of something that they need to move the bar up to another level to entice their customers to shell out some more money for the 'newest' toy. Something that other companies could learn from...

PS Klaus, the z8i is the top of the line and by far the best Swarovski out there but if you have a half dozen (or more) rifles it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $3-4K on glass for each of them. When a major hunt comes along you want to take your Z8i and a certain rifle but for a day of shooting predators, etc., you can make do with a scope that's less than half the price but still a top of the line optic on other rifles. Swapping scopes from barrel to barrel is a pain in the rear due to having to spend a lot of time re-sighting each time. I do think you'll see a lot of z3 owners move up to the Z5 to get the illuminated dot. They aren't going to go to the Z8 because they simply don't care to have that much in a scope but the Z5i is not as big a leap and gives them a nicer scope.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

I have examined these scopes, and the reticle looks to be dot on perfection, if you will pardon my pun. I all ready own two of the non illuminated 2.4-12x50s, and will be buying the illumination version when it is available. They are a great value without much lost in quality.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Corjack wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:28 pm I have examined these scopes, and the reticle looks to be dot on perfection, if you will pardon my pun. I all ready own two of the non illuminated 2.4-12x50s, and will be buying the illumination version when it is available. They are a great value without much lost in quality.
That's the way I see it too Ron. 2.4-12x50 is a great combination, and I have one of the non illuminated models waiting to go on a 30.06 barrell.

I haven't been able to see an illuminated version yet, and have my fingers crossed that it isn't a stupid thin reticle. If it looks good and the controls aren't too fussy, I'll be getting one.

Sigsako

Post by Sigsako »

secondtry wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:53 pm
Corjack wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:28 pm I have examined these scopes, and the reticle looks to be dot on perfection, if you will pardon my pun. I all ready own two of the non illuminated 2.4-12x50s, and will be buying the illumination version when it is available. They are a great value without much lost in quality.
That's the way I see it too Ron. 2.4-12x50 is a great combination, and I have one of the non illuminated models waiting to go on a 30.06 barrell.

I haven't been able to see an illuminated version yet, and have my fingers crossed that it isn't a stupid thin reticle. If it looks good and the controls aren't too fussy, I'll be getting one.
What a great inclusion for a fantastic scope.
An illuminated reticle has been my only gripe about the Z5.
As for the thin reticle, I'm of the opinion its spot on. I was shocked when I looked through a newer model with the thicker reticle and can't say I liked it at all.
Thin reticle with fire dot will be awesome.
VERY tempting.

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”