Scope advice Blaser R8 Pro Suc in 308W

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

Packas

Scope advice Blaser R8 Pro Suc in 308W

Post by Packas »

All,

I've ordered a Blaser R8 Pro Success in 308Win. Originally I was looking at a Swaro Z5 5-25x50 with ballistic turret and 4W reticle. I liked the idea of having the ballistic turret for elevation and the 4W for wind offset.
However I've since discovered that the ballistic turret are non locking. A feature I'm not too keen on for hunting as it's one more thing to keep an eye on.

My use for this gun will be 70% range and 30% hunting.

As an alternative I'm now considering the cheaper (by $300) Nightforce SHV 5-25x56 with 0.25MOA click turret and MOA reticle (great match). The turret has a zero stop and when hunting you can screw over the entire post a cap (don't know why they didn't just make it a locking turret!!).

Does anyone have any advice on such a scope? Don't laugh at me but.... Is it too tactical looking for a nice Blaser R8 Pro Success .... and yes... looks do matter hahaha. I can't have people saying "your scope looks too big on that" :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

7x57
Meister der jagd

Re: Scope advice Blaser R8 Pro Suc in 308W

Post by 7x57 »

Having had BTs on Swaro z6i scopes I personally haven't had a problem with them being turned inadvertently . I also added the ZnikiZ rings which gives 5 preset rings rather than the original 3. Once all rings have been set the turret is moved back to the first setting which is your zero preset. When taking a shot you have to look at the turret anyway to turn them to a preset for your required distance and it would be obvious if the turret had moved.
Other BBs may have had different experiences but personally I have not had a problem. I do understand what you are saying however and my son only has scopes that had zero stops. He is more into tactical shooting however whereas I am not.

Packas

Post by Packas »

Thanks. Also regarding looks this doesn't look too bad does it (trying to convince myself NF is a good choice here!!)

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I think scope choice is very personal and very task specific. I have the z5 you describe and find it to be excellent for longer ranges in good light, actually it is superb and the concern over non locking turret is not a real issue, only in your mind. But confidence is as important as real mechanical issues.
I also have a Zeiss 3-12x56 HT with the ASV+ and #60 lighted reticle, this is a far superior scope and distances itself even further under low light or dark conditions, there is nothing better. I also have several Night Force NXT scopes, they are good but inferior to the Swarovski or Zeiss.
I have a spare z5 if you want to try it out, I can send it to you and if you like it you can buy it and if not send it back.
Let me know,
Bob
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Packas wrote:Thanks. Also regarding looks this doesn't look too bad does it (trying to convince myself NF is a good choice here!!)
Well if ya don't want that, I'll find a home for it. :dance:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

That's a great offer Bob. How trusting is that !
:clap:
Cheers Steve

Packas

Post by Packas »

stokesrj wrote:I think scope choice is very personal and very task specific. I have the z5 you describe and find it to be excellent for longer ranges in good light, actually it is superb and the concern over non locking turret is not a real issue, only in your mind. But confidence is as important as real mechanical issues.
I also have a Zeiss 3-12x56 HT with the ASV+ and #60 lighted reticle, this is a far superior scope and distances itself even further under low light or dark conditions, there is nothing better. I also have several Night Force NXT scopes, they are good but inferior to the Swarovski or Zeiss.
I have a spare z5 if you want to try it out, I can send it to you and if you like it you can buy it and if not send it back.
Let me know,
Bob
Bob

Thanks for the offer. Regarding the Z5. What's the spec on it? I'd be interested.

Pat

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

It is the Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 BT 4W Riflescope Black 59884
SKU SWZ5052552-BT-4W
http://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-z5-5 ... 59884.aspx
Robert J Stokes

Packas

Post by Packas »

stokesrj wrote:It is the Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 BT 4W Riflescope Black 59884
SKU SWZ5052552-BT-4W
http://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-z5-5 ... 59884.aspx
Bob,
Definitely interested. From your profile I see your in Florida. I travel to Largo, Florida a few times a year for work (I work in the Optics industry for Bausch+Lomb). Sent you a PM

Pat.

Pbr56

Post by Pbr56 »

I have the NF SHV on my R8. I think the 58MM bellhousing makes it look way to big and dominating for the gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”