The ideal Scope ???

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

Davo 7mm

Re: The ideal Scope ???

Post by Davo 7mm »

Gents
Had a look at some very nice scopes during the week, Z6i, Z8, Zeiss V6, Leica ER, Leica Magnus and I think the Magnus may have been slightly brighter the Swarovski Z8i, was only looking across the street from the gunshop, both very nice scopes cheers David

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Magnus is overlooked but its a great scope.

IanF

Post by IanF »

I thought the Magnus was the pick Dave. ER5 wasn’t in same class but compared to others at its price point I think it was excellent. It may be the one I go with in the end - Leica ER5 2-10x50.

HunterAU
Meister der jagd

Post by HunterAU »

The ideal scope for me is the Swaro Z6i 3-18x50 I just purchased a Z6i 5-30x50 for the longer shots. Everyone will see through a scope differently. Its down to the scope that has the best clarity for your eye.

I personally think 10x magnification is not enough. Even at 100 meters its hard to see that little bull. If you cant see it that well it makes it a little harder to get consistent tight groups.
Shoot First, measure them later.
:violence-snipersmiley:

kirby757

Post by kirby757 »

Davo 7mm wrote:Gents
Had a look at some very nice scopes during the week, Z6i, Z8, Zeiss V6, Leica ER, Leica Magnus and I think the Magnus may have been slightly brighter the Swarovski Z8i, was only looking across the street from the gunshop, both very nice scopes cheers David
Dave did you like the Zeiss v6

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

I’ve used a Z6i 2-12-50 with a BR for the past 4 years and have to say out to 400 I would be more than happy to use it and only last week took a hind at 375 yards with it, couldn’t fault it. I know there are probably better scopes out there but having previously used a Picar 6x45 I love mine

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

HunterAU wrote:
I personally think 10x magnification is not enough. Even at 100 meters its hard to see that little bull. If you cant see it that well it makes it a little harder to get consistent tight groups.
Its not for target shooting but its definitely more then enough for hunting.
I don't use anything bigger, unless your shooting long range targets its more a hindrance then a help.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Dinger

Post by Dinger »

Swaro 2-8x42 1" tube on a rail.....if you find one let me know!

Davo 7mm

Post by Davo 7mm »

The Zeiss V6 was a nice scope but looked to be priced close to the Swaro Z6, there are too many choices in top end scope, life was simpler when my best scope as a Leupold vari x 3 cheers David

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

HunterAU wrote:The ideal scope for me is the Swaro Z6i 3-18x50 I just purchased a Z6i 5-30x50 for the longer shots. Everyone will see through a scope differently. Its down to the scope that has the best clarity for your eye.

You'll like that 5-30. I sold my last 3-18x50 and added another 5-30. Try the 5-30 in low light in the 7+- power range and compare it to the rest of your scopes. It's internals are larger thus allowing more light to come through. One scope that does it all.

Agree the tiny groups are easier with the higher power but it's a matter of learning how to use the lower power scopes to achieve that tiny group. When Niki (ZnikiZ) was here I watched him shoot a 1/2"- 3/4" group with a R93 270 in broad daylight using a Pulsar Thermal off of sticks. Granted he nearly missed the coyote later that evening. :doh: :lol: If you've looked through a Thermal or any night vision the reticles leave a lot to be desired.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Davo 7mm wrote:The Zeiss V6 was a nice scope but looked to be priced close to the Swaro Z6, there are too many choices in top end scope, life was simpler when my best scope as a Leupold vari x 3 cheers David
My best scope for many uses is still the VX 3. :D

Dinger wrote:Swaro 2-8x42 1" tube on a rail.....if you find one let me know!
Tell him he's dreaming :lol: :lol: With the same retice subtension as the 4A in the Z3, and not that spidery thing in Z6s.
If the impossible happens, I'm also in the queue. :)

p3t3rsn

Post by p3t3rsn »

I have had so many failures from so many brands it’s disheartening. Today I go with older Leupold Vari-X 3-9 compacts, fixed M8’s, or Nightforce NXS/NX8. As much as dislike the tactical look, it sure is reliable.

Kgi

Post by Kgi »

mchughcb wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:12 am Magnus is overlooked but its a great scope.
Yep in my opinion the best hunting hunting scope money can buy. The 1.5 -10x42 magnus i would be the best all rounder ;)

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm leaning towards a different view, a 2-7 is my preferred stalking scope, the 3-10 or as above a 1.5-10 is the best all round scope and the 1-4 is growing on my as the best up close and thick country scope.

I honestly believe there is no one size fits all scope, and that's a long way from my young man days where your choices were a fixed 4x, 6x or 3-9 if you wanted a variable power scope, and the 3-9 became my go to scope, well most were 6x but my most used ones were the 3-9x scopes.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Kgi wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:31 pm
mchughcb wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:12 am Magnus is overlooked but its a great scope.
Yep in my opinion the best hunting hunting scope money can buy. The 1.5 -10x42 magnus i would be the best all rounder ;)
Yes it would be not far off. I remember a few years ago I invited a blaserbud on a deer hunt. He was quite happy with his 2.5-10 leica. I told him 2.5 is too powerful a scope and he disagreed.Then when he was put in his position where he was only going to fire about 10m he realized his scope was too powerful. It really should be no higher than 1.5X if you want ot shoot with it. Maybe it wouldn't have been a big issue if he had a Blaser with open sight on it and QD mounts but alas he did not. And looking the wrong way a 26" stag rang right past him at 8m.

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”