Scope ring screw order and tension

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Scope ring screw order and tension

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

After discovering that a 20ft drop can loosen a scope in a saddlemount that has been both locktited (262) and torqued to the to the recommended spec via a fat wrench, I’m intrigued to know what measures others use?

I did see on a Mauser M03 blog someone suggesting there is a specific order to tensioning each of the 8 screws in the double square mount
75D94F3F-E1B8-42D3-8C87-7C967A6F82EF.jpeg
Does this make a scrap of difference other than stopping the scope being pulled to one side and destroying the hard work lining up the reticle?

I’ve also seen mentions of plumbers tape and brass shim. Does anyone actually use this on Blasers etc?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Re: Scope ring screw order and tension

Post by Pigeon »

well, it makes sense not to tighten your screws from 0-100% and it makes sense to tighten them opposite, YES.

But I would suggested to tighten 1,4,2,3 & 5,8,6,7 in Your scheme...
and to do it with just say 50% torque first and a second run with 100% torque then or even better 40/70/100%

But this is basic mechanics, works even with Your cars wheels or any other screw connection... ;-)

Best regards, and don't worry
As long as it works, its´fine!
Klaus
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.com

thomasr1969

Post by thomasr1969 »

That's how i did mine. Until i discovered rail mounts. Never looked back since

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Pigeon wrote: But I would suggested to tighten 1,4,2,3 & 5,8,6,7 in Your scheme...
and to do it with just say 50% torque first and a second run with 100% torque then or even better 40/70/100%
Thats how I do them. :handgestures-thumbup:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

thomasr1969 wrote:That's how i did mine. Until i discovered rail mounts. Never looked back since
right, but You should also tighten the rails screws with the same basic principles: stepwise
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.com

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Pigeon wrote:well, it makes sense not to tighten your screws from 0-100% and it makes sense to tighten them opposite, YES.

But this is basic mechanics, works even with Your cars wheels or any other screw connection... ;-)

Klaus
Pretty sure I followed a very similar, opposite corner of ring pattern, and used 262... (and sent it flying :? :lol: :doh: )

Only trouble is it was a 56mm scope attached to a .375 H&H via rings
thomasr1969 wrote:That's how i did mine. Until i discovered rail mounts. Never looked back since
Yep, I agree, I got the scope at a price I couldn’t refuse hence accepted rings over rail. I will not attempt a ringed scope on my .45!!!

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Pigeon wrote:well, it makes sense not to tighten your screws from 0-100% and it makes sense to tighten them opposite, YES.

Klaus
Spot on.
I dont follow a perfect alternating sequence, but it is pretty close to what Pidgeon has described.
But what I always do perfectly is tighten first at a VERY slight pressure so I do do move the scope. Then gradually just slightly increase the pressure each time I follow the above sequence. The less you increase the pressure the better.
Who cares how long long it takes.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

9.3x64 wrote:

Klaus
Spot on.
I dont follow a perfect alternating sequence, but it is pretty close to what Pidgeon has described.
But what I always do perfectly is tighten first at a VERY slight pressure so I do do move the scope. Then gradually just slightly increase the pressure each time I follow the above sequence. The less you increase the pressure the better.
Who cares how long long it takes.
Or even better buy a rail scope.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

Good tightening technique noted . . . but back to the beginning, how did you manage a 20 ft drop!!!!! :naughty:
I'm guessing tree stand. I hope the rifle was ok . . .

Regards,
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

Gun Barrel Ecologist

slugslinger wrote:Good tightening technique noted . . . but back to the beginning, how did you manage a 20 ft drop!!!!! :naughty:
I'm guessing tree stand. I hope the rifle was ok . . .

Regards,
Yep, tree stand / machan. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15540 Rifle is OK scope just started sliding in the rings when next used.

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”