Rail Mounts

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

Corjack
Administrator

Rail Mounts

Post by Corjack »

Please post all rail mounting systems for mounting rail scopes to NON Blaser firearms. Pictures would be nice.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

stokesrj

Re: Rail Mounts

Post by stokesrj »

Do you mean like this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

stokesrj wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:58 pm Do you mean like this one?
What brand are those?
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Corjack wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:52 pm
stokesrj wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:58 pm Do you mean like this one?
What brand are those?
Zeiss from EuroOptics.
Robert J Stokes

LAairhunter

Post by LAairhunter »

Dear Gang,

I suspect that Ron was kind enough to start this thread on my behalf as I'd recently queried him about solutions for mounting railed scopes on non-Blaser guns.

Most of our bolt-action guns are Blaser R8s, but we also have some Weatherby, Sako and AR-15 rifles (all three of my kids, as well as my spouse, regularly hunt so we own several rifles). I'd love to replace the scopes on some of these non-Blaser guns with more modern glass. Yet, I'm no longer willing to purchase new, high-end, "tubed" scopes as I inevitably end up marring the tubes when I either mount them in rings or move them from one rifle to another. Y'all have taught me the value of going with “railed” scopes, and I can't go back!

However, at least from my perspective, it has been a pain in the butt to find good solutions for attaching a railed scope to most non-Blaser firearms. The solutions, obviously, tend to be European, but they’re hard (again, at least for me) to figure out - for instance, I find the EAW Mounts catalog daunting. Also, I find that many of the European solutions put the scope pretty high.

I'm going to post some examples of things I've found on the internet to see if y'all might have any thoughts or insights (calling Pigeon, Teodor, Mr. Stokes, etc.) about these possible solutions (or if you have other ways) that would allow me to mate a railed scope with Weatherby, Sako and AR-type rifles.

Here's a beautiful solution that InnoGun has done with their Innomount product that allows for a railed scope with a Blaser Saddle mount to be attached to a Remington 700, however, I don’t believe that Innomount offers this in Weatherby or Sako flavors.
357_2.jpg

Here’s some Sako solutions. First is an EAW mount that I feel puts the scope too high:
Pasted Graphic.tiff
Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 7.32.01 AM.png

Here’s a Recknagel mount that makes use of Sako’s Optilock base mounts and seems to put the scope a little lower:
Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 7.29.43 AM.png

(the rest of this overly long response will be in a quickly followed "part 2" - I think I ran out of allotted picture space)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LAairhunter

Post by LAairhunter »

(Part 2):

I realize that many of our European brethren on BlaserBuds probably don’t hunt with, or maybe even own, AR-style guns, but we hunt with them regularly (particularly for pigs and predators). This is one of our AR-15s in 6.8 SPC II caliber that has a low-light, bigger scope on it (we use this in the evening for predator hunting). This Innomount solution works well with larger scopes:
IMG_3565.jpeg

However, when using “short-dot” scopes (like a 1-6x24 scope), the scope has to be mounted further forward. Here’s a pic of a tubed scope on a LaRue mount (a Texas-based company) that demonstrates how far forward the short-dot scopes need to mounted.
IMG_0929.jpeg

I haven’t been able to find too many mounting solutions that would allow a railed, short-dot scope to be mounted forward. Here’s a picture I got off of the web, but I can’t find out what kind of mount it is.
Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 7.47.06 AM.png

Thank y’all for any and all insights you might have about solutions for mounting railed scopes on non-Blaser rifles. I sure wish the American firearms manufacturers (and the American scope manufacturers) would see the light as it regards railed scopes.

Mark

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Enjoy em while you have em, and fight to keep them.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

LAairhunter

Post by LAairhunter »

Pigeon,

Thank you for your insights. Do you have any opinions of the MAK off-set sights that were shown at IWA 2018?

I can't find a picture of the MAK sights, but I've heard them mentioned.

Also, can you identify the type of mount in my last picture (on the AR-15)?

TIA,
Mark

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Stiller action and rail
8962CD8D-44FD-47E0-91EA-E42D619CD974.png
DAB5EC57-A87D-4598-9FB7-E8973BE329A3.png
You
04E116B2-EE4D-477A-95CC-4D92D8741B04.jpeg
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”