Best thermal scope for night hunting?

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

jorge saca

Best thermal scope for night hunting?

Post by jorge saca »

Hello guys. Any of you has experience with night hunting for boars using thermal scope?
Im looking to get one but dont hsve much experience on this. Im looking at the flir rs24, rs32, and rs64 but im not sure what to get. Any input on this?

Perdizhunter

Re: Best thermal scope for night hunting?

Post by Perdizhunter »

Pulsar XP50 Trail is a good choice .

jorge saca

Post by jorge saca »

Thank you very much.
Nobody has had experience with the Flir?

Scotch_egg

Post by Scotch_egg »

You need to look up lonestarboars on instagram. Honestly the best value thirmal at the minute are pulsar.

RexMundi

Post by RexMundi »

I have the Pulsar Core and it works great. Can be used as a handheld or a clip-on.

Af300e

Post by Af300e »

I’m after something that can ID and target a fox at 300m
Any recommendations?

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Af300e wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:04 pm I’m after something that can ID and target a fox at 300m
Any recommendations?
How much do you want to spend and what is the terrain? In an open sheep paddock a Pulsar 960 or whatever its relacement is, will do the job for 1/3 of thermal cost. At close range I find foxes still to be wary of anything out of place in their paddock, even if the only light emitted is IR.

As for the Thermal topic at hand, the other advantage of a Pulsar is the Innomount Blaser specific mount for them, so you save yourself 1/2 inch by not having to convert a saddlemount to a pic rail

LAairhunter

Post by LAairhunter »

Jorge,

I've had the FLIR RS series in the past, and now have lower-tier (but newer) thermals - I currently have a FLIR PTS-233 and a Pulsar XQ-38 (combined, these two newer scopes cost less than one of my prior FLIR RS series scopes).

I concur with the opinions expressed by others - the best "bang for the buck" right now on the thermal market are the Pulsar Trail Thermal scopes. I've been using Pulsar's line of night-vision scopes (I'm speaking of infra-red rather than thermal scopes) for several years, and I've watched Pulsar gradually morph in to a technologic leader. I prefer Pulsar's software in their Trail series thermal scopes to any other thermal scopes on the market right now. I like the 12 micron "coblator" in the newer FLIR units (even though they're not 640 units yet) primarily because I like "red hot" targets. However, the Pulsar products trump the FLIR products in terms of software. Also, as pointed out, European mount makers (like Innomount) make mounts that will attach a Pulsar to a Blaser R8 and other German rifles.

Now, if you simply want the best consumer-available thermal scope on the market, I believe it to be the IR Defense / Trijicon units. However, these are considerably more expensive than the Pulsar units, and their software is unremarkable compared to the Pulsar stuff (and the IR Defense / Trijicon stuff doesn't innately record video like the Pulsar Trail and FLIR PTS units).

Mark

jorge saca

Post by jorge saca »

Thank you very much for all the input Mark and all.
I went ahead and ordered a Pusar xq38 to begin with. Didnt want to spend the extra money to go for the xp50 but from what ive seen on videos etc the xq38 will be fine for hog hunting up to say 200 yards. You really dont get to see even 100 yards where i hunt because of trees etc.
So i will be giving it a try on july 5th for the first time. Will go do some hog hunting.

Ill post updates.

JohnnyA

Post by JohnnyA »

Hi Jorge, I am thnking of getting a Pulsar XQ38 for my R8 Professional Success 308w to hunt boar and foxes, out to 200m. How do you like your QX38? What mount are you using? Does the mount hold zero under recoil? Thanks in advance.

Perdizhunter

Post by Perdizhunter »

Probably the best bang for the buck is Pulsar Trail XQ50 .
XQ and XP 50 , is not easy to see differences when hunting, only zoom ( XP low zoom is less tham XQ- It”s better )
But comparing 38 and 50, the 50 line is a huge improvement over 38 . You can identify “thermal objects “significantly further away !

Perdizhunter

Post by Perdizhunter »

I”m used to hunt with Pulsar XD50A in a Benelli R1 308 Win and a Trail XP50 in a Bläser R8 Professional

XP50 is newer and much better than XD50A, but both are 375 HH Recoil Approved .

9.3M03

Post by 9.3M03 »

I think the Pulsar Trail is being replaced with the New Pulsar Thermion which is kind of the same internals but in a regular scope body so it can be mounted with regular scope rings. Due out later in the year.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

I thought the Thermion and the ATN equivalent 30mm tube set up were both shown off at the Shot Show in Vegas this year? Wolf Eyes claim they’ll be selling the former later this month. From memory the ATN claims better resolution but their reputation for needing software upgrades etc doesn’t inspire confidence

boltfed

Post by boltfed »

Not sure of the exact models, but I’ve used both the armasights and pulsars with success. I’ve got an acquaintance who hunts with pulsars for his business guiding night hunts. He could talk more to the issues of resolution, warranties, etc, but I do remember he said they were a value and robust enough for use by all the guys he runs through on hog hunts throughout the year.

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”