Phone Skope

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

MM
Meister der jagd

Phone Skope

Post by MM »

I have been looking at these for awhile and thinking of getting one for my trip out to Montana this year. Anyone using these? How and where are you using it ( not instructions but utilization in the field)? Is there a better model out there I should look at?

SPEEDY

Re: Phone Skope

Post by SPEEDY »

I know spelling is atrocious at times but I refuse to buy anything with a trendy misspelled name.

Every raved at my last town about the coffee shop bamd Kaffeine, abbreviations I get but whats so special about spelling things like your the kid that sat in the back of the class, ate crayons and picked a rainbow of colors out if his nose.
But there are cheaper units on Ebay that will do as good a job, that being ruining the shot at a once in a lifetime trophy by cluttering your sight picture, while trying to track an animinal, shouldering your rifle badly and missing that crucial 3 sec window he was broadside before disappearing and eventually dying of old age.
But thats my 2c worth after trying all sorts of things, if you really want good footage it seems you need a shotkam (there's that spelling again) or an off sider with an actual proper camera.

And no, I wasn't that kid, but sometimes I make it hard to tell. :whistle:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Looks good. I want one.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

Speedy the unit I am looking at goes on your spotting scope or binoculars. I would not put it on my riflescope so I agree that could cause issues for little upside benefit. Spelling I do not care but I guess it is for trademark puroses.

Ant

Post by Ant »

I have one and have been using it for about 3 years now. I really like it, for certain things. First, the 2 negatives that I have identified. First, it can take a little time to get it adjusted correctly so that the black circles around the edges go away. Thus, it is not very useful if speed matters. Second, you have to zoom (at least partially) to get rid of the black edges, so the view is limited, but not unduly.

The positives, it is great to video those animals you are seeing. Lets you compare growth, compare animals to decide which to go after, etc. Plus, if hunting with a mate, can give good video of your stalk and shot. I used it just a few months ago during a sage grouse count (we go out and count them during spring to prove they are not endangered). I used the Skope to let the 4 kids who were with us see what we were looking at. It is also pretty comfortable on the eye to look down at a big screen versus peering through the eye piece the whole time. In practice, what I usually do is use the spotting scope the normal way and find animals, then I will put the Skope on and watch them (and video a little) via the phone screen. In addition, it lets those you are with see what you are seeing, which is useful on those occasions where you only bring one spotting scope. All told, it is worth the $30-60 bucks.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

If its going on your spotting scope then it should be fine, I had a young fella try and use one similar on his scope and just couldn't get to the trigger pull time.

One thing I noticed from him, turn your screen timeout feature off or it will without fail turn off when you need ut the most.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

rsenatro

Post by rsenatro »

My son got one when they first came out. He used the heck out of it. Now he gets almost the same results with a newer iPhone by just holding the camera lens close to the diopter and shading it with his hand. Those fantastic pictures on their website aren’t realistic if the animal is more than a hundred yard away. At realistic distances, the photos are more reference anyway and the hand is much more available. That said, you might buy one to force yourself into learning how to take the shots. Then when you upgrade your phone you’ll no longer need it.

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

I found a cheapo version on Amazon and have been playing with it. Works pretty well and a fun toy for under $20

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”