Scope for Short-Barelled .308

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

rsenatro

Scope for Short-Barelled .308

Post by rsenatro »

I am forced to shoot with a suppressor, so I noted with interest Bob Stokes' post about his short-barreled .308. I decided to shamelessly rip him off and ordered a .308, 16.25" barrel from Elmer Latala. If it shoots as well as hoped, this will likely be my main setup. Now, for the scope.

I don't want to go crazy, and the SB Polar seemed to check all the boxes, but after reading about their nightmare service and QC issues, I'm not sure I want to sign up for that. My favorite scope is my early (German made) Leica ER2.5-10x42, so I'm thinking of the Leica Visus. Since the barrel is short, I'm anticipating some drop so I'm fairly sure I want a BDC turret. A rail mount would be nice, too, and I can get both on the Leica and still stay under $2k.

Any other suggestions in this same rough price range?

Corjack
Administrator

Re: Scope for Short-Barelled .308

Post by Corjack »

I would do a Swarovski Z8I 1.7-13.3x42. Nice and compact, got a nice modular ballistic turrent , and 70cm of adjustment.got one myself on my R8.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

LAairhunter

Post by LAairhunter »

I second the Swaro Z8i 1.7-13.3x42.

Mr. Stokes and Corjack have it right.

IMHO, it's the most versatile hunting scope on the market right now. Swaro's BT system is brilliant, and that'd give you a gun capable of shooting long-distance (I don't feel that the short-barrel will hinder its long-distance ability) as well as a beautiful gun for driven hunts. The 1.7-13.3 also seems brighter than other 42mm scopes that I've owned.

Just my .02,
Mark

rsenatro

Post by rsenatro »

Thanks to all for the comments. They are well regarded. Kevin at Blaser USA says that after years of computer time, his eyes seem to like Swaro glass better now. I went away from Swaro some years back and haven't really looked seriously at their new glass. Time for a revisit. Thanks to all.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I would give serious thought to a Nighforce 1-8x24, the reticle is perfect almost an I HE with an illuminated center, they are one of the best for accurate and repeatable adjustments, it's not too big, bulky or over powered.
I'd say it's perfect.
I would rather a Kahles K16i 1-6x24 or Swarovski 1-6×24 but neither have adjustable turrets.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

SPEEDY wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:04 pm I would give serious thought to a Nighforce 1-8x24, the reticle is perfect almost an I HE with an illuminated center, they are one of the best for accurate and repeatable adjustments, it's not too big, bulky or over powered.
I'd say it's perfect.
I would rather a Kahles K16i 1-6x24 or Swarovski 1-6×24 but neither have adjustable turrets.
Actually you con now get the 1-6 Kahles with a turret. Or Guo with the Swarovski Z8 1-8 and the BTF snaps right on.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Then there's 3 good options.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”