BBF 97 - Scope vs Red Dot

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

Perdizhunter

BBF 97 - Scope vs Red Dot

Post by Perdizhunter »

Finally my BBF 97 12 GA / .308 Win is at home .

I installed a Leica Magnus i 1,5-12 x 40 and went to the range
Shooting 308 was fine , but trying 12 GA , for fast acquisition, as shooting clay birds , was difficult. Paralax , magnification... it’s not easy to use a scope and have
shotgun fast shooting qualities !

I own a Aimpoint Micro H2 I”m used to shoot with the R8 , and a Aimpoint Hunter 30 S .

Do you believe that an Aimpoint will give me best results , shooting rifle and shotgun ? Is Aimpoint best choice for a combination gun than a scope ?

Perdizhunter

Re: BBF 97 - Scope vs Red Dot

Post by Perdizhunter »

Sorry , Magnus i 1,5 -10 x 42

Perdizhunter

Post by Perdizhunter »

Perdizhunter

Post by Perdizhunter »

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

For fast acquisition you can't go past an Aimpoint, I would use it on the rifle too, for everything up to 100 metres. :handgestures-thumbup:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I used a 1-4x Leupold spot hog on my shotgun, I could hit running game and wing shoot birds with it.

Something on the lines of it might do the job just fine for you.

I'd maybe go a 1-6x or similar I found the 1x power and close range paralax should be perfect, but I found a 1x was easiest to wing shoot with.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Aimpoont 2 moa

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/T-Rpg92fGcY[/BBvideo]

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I use both the Aimpoint H1 Micro and low powered variable scopes on my BD14. For fast moving game there is no contest, the aimpoint wins hands down. It is also more than adequate for use at standing game out to 200 meters or so. Where the low powered variable scope is superior is when game has to be quickly identified for sex, age, antlers or not. And of course for longer shots from a rest. For offhand, I actually shoot the aimpoint better.
Robert J Stokes

BBF fan

Post by BBF fan »

Has anyone tried the Swarovski Z8i 0.75-6 on a BBF or drilling? Im curious to see if its better then the Aimpoint for fast target acquisition but still good for longer shots on game.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

No. 1-4 , 1-6 or aimpoint H1 has always been enough and much cheaper too.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I may be missing the point but I really don’t get the purpose of less than 1X but I’m sure Swarovski wouldn’t have invested the engineering man hours if it were of no advantage. However, I can say that after a few seasons with my BD14 using the aim point and various scopes of 1X or up to 1.7X that the low power scopes are fine for steady flight birds that give you enough time to get the gun moving with the speed of the bird and then overtake them there isn’t much difference between the scope and the aimpoint. However, the aimpoint comes into its own when the shot is required to be taken without time to consciously Align the dot. It somehow still magically kills the bird in a zin like way. That doesn’t seem to ever happen with the scope.
Robert J Stokes

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

I believe the advantage of the .75X scope is the greatly enlarged field of view. The only instances I can see it as an advantage would be on very fast flying birds, close shots on running game, or Mark Sullivan like encounters with dangerous game. All three combined make up about .001% of the things Americans do with a riflescope. It seems to me to be a product developed for the European driven hunt and combination gun customer.

BBF fan

Post by BBF fan »

ebrownw2 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 pm I believe the advantage of the .75X scope is the greatly enlarged field of view. The only instances I can see it as an advantage would be on very fast flying birds, close shots on running game, or Mark Sullivan like encounters with dangerous game. All three combined make up about .001% of the things Americans do with a riflescope. It seems to me to be a product developed for the European driven hunt and combination gun customer.
I can see an advantage on a combination gun or a scoped double rifle for real close shooting and id be keen to give it a go on bolt action for sambar over the hounds but id like to see one in the flesh first. hopefully they have one to look at at the ssaa shot show this year that I can see before I consider purchasing one.

LAairhunter

Post by LAairhunter »

I recently read (or watched something on YouTube) where someone was commenting on the 0.75x Swaro, and they said that when you get within 15 meters of a moving animal, the uniquely wide-field view of this scope comes in to its own and allows you to react in a more measured way. They were quite high on the scope.

Here in the Southeast, though we don't typically have driven boar hunts, we do have pigs that will sometimes run toward us (particularly when using a suppressor), so I'm looking forward to using this scope when I stalk for swine.

As an aside, though the "short-dot" / 1-6x / 1-8x scopes seem more appreciated by the "3 gun" competition crowd here in the USA, I'm really enjoying utilizing them for hunting. The beauty of the Swaro Z8i short-dot scopes is their versitility. I have a short-barreled AR10 in .308, and owing to the Z8i's ability to click their Ballistic Turrets on, I can use a Ballistic Turret on the 1-8x24. This might sound non-sensical, but with the combo of the short-barreled .308 (with suppressor) and the 1-8x24 with BT, I've got a neat little package that can shoot running game right in front of me, or distant game out to 300-400.

M

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”