This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Re: Pulsar Thermion XM30

Post by 9.3x64 »

icebug wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:27 am
9.3x64 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:48 am 2/How do we mount them on the R8 platform, considering the eye relief?
Eye relief is not a problem, but the height is.
I had to put extra spacers under the 30mm rings to get it clear the mount base, as the central part where the turrets are is quite "bulky".
If you still think you'll have eye relief problems, replace the rear ring with the offset one, that will allow you to pull the scope back a bit more.
I did that on two of my mounts for my Nightforce scopes, but not for Thermion.

DH338 also mentioned those spacers in his post https://blaserbuds.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 50#p200520

The offset ring looks like this:
Hi Icebug, to mount your Thermion did you have to put the Blaser spacers under the standard Blaser 30mm rings or the high rings?
Just trying to work out what 30 mm rings I need to order with the spacers, to mount the XM38?
Thankyou Allan
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

9.3M03

Post by 9.3M03 »

86ACBA33-AB74-40DA-9642-B5EFAA788909.jpeg
I have a thermion XP50. I used the spacers and the std rings and it gives adequate clearance. The attached pic is using spacers and high rings and it was a bit excessive for height IMO. Yet to sight it in yet but comparing it to my Helion XQ38 the XP50’s higher resolution is very noticeable. Will be using the Helion to spot potential targets and the Thermion for positive ID.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Thanks 9.3M03,
To my eye it looks like the belly of the scope just clears the saddle mount, It doesn’t look like you could go any lower or am I wrong?
I also notice you have the scope as far back as possible in the rings. I often need to mount my scopes a little bit further back than most shooters, I have a feeling I will need an offset ring to bring it back a little more.
Thanks mate

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

This really has me trying to justify buying one, I wonder how good they would be as a day time scope?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

9.3M03 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:21 pm 86ACBA33-AB74-40DA-9642-B5EFAA788909.jpeg
I have a thermion XP50. I used the spacers and the std rings and it gives adequate clearance. The attached pic is using spacers and high rings and it was a bit excessive for height IMO. Yet to sight it in yet but comparing it to my Helion XQ38 the XP50’s higher resolution is very noticeable. Will be using the Helion to spot potential targets and the Thermion for positive ID.
Very nice bit of gear Mark :clap: , let us know how it goes. :handgestures-thumbup:

9.3M03

Post by 9.3M03 »

9.3x64 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:28 pm Thanks 9.3M03,
To my eye it looks like the belly of the scope just clears the saddle mount, It doesn’t look like you could go any lower or am I wrong?
I also notice you have the scope as far back as possible in the rings. I often need to mount my scopes a little bit further back than most shooters, I have a feeling I will need an offset ring to bring it back a little more.
Thanks mate
Sorry I don’t have a pic handy with low rings and spacers , but here’s another pic with the high rings with a better view of the clearance. The std rings and spacers still have daylight in the gap, be it less.
FC270A73-2A7D-4316-B1BA-6EA59ABD6714.jpeg
It will be a couple of weeks before I get out to sight it in and go for a hunt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9.3M03

Post by 9.3M03 »

TheoR8 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:39 am
9.3M03 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:21 pm 86ACBA33-AB74-40DA-9642-B5EFAA788909.jpeg
Very nice bit of gear Mark :clap: , let us know how it goes. :handgestures-thumbup:
Will do Theo.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Thanks 9.3M03

Sigsako

Post by Sigsako »

LAairhunter wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:59 am I've been using Pulsar thermal and NV equipment (as well as other brands) for several years here in the US.

Pulsar in the US has a great reputation in terms of customer service, but this may have more to do with their US distributer (Sellmark). Pulsar's thermal devices aren't quite as good in terms of image quality as the Trijicon / IR Defense devices, but Pulsar offers the best "bang for the buck" amongst the thermal equipment offered here. FLIR has good stuff, but their customer service isn't too good, and (of late) they seem to have adopted an anti-hunter stance. There are some new thermals being offered by a company called N-Vision, and they're very good devices (particularly their Halo LR 50mm).

Pulsar's software is probably the best in the industry when it comes to on-board video recording, streaming to iOS devices, etc.

I see Pulsar as the Toyota of the thermal world, and I have no qualms investing in their gear.

Having said that, the Thermion XM30 (which isn't offered here in the States) is supposed to lack a focusing ring. For me, that would be a deal-killer. I have a FLIR PTS233, it lacks focusing, and I don't like that. Also, the Thermion XM30 wouldn't be a good choice for hunting beyond 100 yards. Here in the Southeast USA, most of our shooting is done within 100-150 yards (usually closer), and the XM38 is what we use.

Regarding point of impact shift, this was an issue a year or two ago on the Pulsar Trail models (that was rectified), but I'm not aware of it being an issue with the Thermions.

Lastly, I haven't mounted the Thermion on a Blaser yet, but when I do so, I'm thinking about using the Dentler mount system so that I can move the thermal between a Blaser R8 and an AR-15 / AR-10.

M
Agreed, this IS great information.

From an Australian perspective, forget about the Trijicon / IR Defense options, unless you have DEEEEP pockets.

The Pulsar gear is definitely best bang for buck, undoubtedly.
I'm using the older Apex XD50 and had no issues ever. I'm running an external 9 hour battery and the scope gets used pretty well weekly, and would not be without one now I've used one long term.
Scanning as a rifle scope is not an issue on a reasonable weighted rifle like an R8. Bloody heavy after a while on a Sako 85 Varmint!!!

As far as identification etc. goes, a lot of people talk about detection range, identification range etc.
Detecting "something" out to 1350m or whatever is great, and VERY useful, as you at least will be aware something is there.
As the thermal user gets accustomed to the gear, you get accustomed to your targets also.
You will soon be able to identify all sorts of animals at distance, simply based on shape and their habits.
At 1k it is easy to identify cattle, horses etc due to size and lack of movement. But there could be Deer in their as well, so a closer look is naturally required.
At the same distance, you could pick up smaller animals, like sheep, pigs, foxes and even rabbits.

When you get with a few hundred meters, things become much clearer.
Sheep are slow grazers and there coats will show up different than a pig, and pigs are also pretty well on the move.
Identifying foxes, rabbits, roos etc out to 300m is easy.

Bottom line is, that the more you observe these animals the more you learn about what they do and how they act. This raises the identification ability in bounds. So does a quality optic, and skimping on that is a waste of coin!!!!
Confirmed identification is the key to any shot, (like anytime), but unless you have good clear thermal, (like the dearer Pulsars), you don't take the shot.
Example
Last week I spotted a Fox bedded down in the paddock. Terrain was mixed and I was 90% sure it was a fox. But due to the complete lack of movement it could have been a partially obscured Calf. So I moved closer. At no more than 50m away I still was not 100% and not prepared to shoot. I moved closer and with intent to get this thing moving, and it did. Confirmed to be a fox, which trotted away and bedded down again a couple of hundred meters away.
It was dead within 10 minutes and at no risk to the cattle I was there to protect.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Excellent Sigsako, Thankyou.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

My brother is convinced the Thermion is the way to go after all the above information, thankyou all. He is leaning towards the XM38 now. I am going to try and contact Extravision and see if I can have a look at one.
Yet again a great forum for unbiased information.

9.3M03

Post by 9.3M03 »

If your in Melb or Darwin I can give you a look thru a Thermion XP50

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

9.3M03 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:51 am If your in Melb or Darwin I can give you a look thru a Thermion XP50
Very kind offer, but I rarely get to Melbourne.
Thankyou

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

9.3x64 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:58 am
9.3M03 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:51 am If your in Melb or Darwin I can give you a look thru a Thermion XP50
Thankyou
Wise man. :handgestures-thumbup:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

icebug
Meister der jagd

Post by icebug »

9.3x64 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:58 am
Thankyou
And that would make him pay extra $$$ for XP instead of XM :mrgreen:
All for one and 9.3 for all
https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”