This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Re: Bino's - what do you have, what do you recommend

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Central Vic wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:51 am
deerhunter338mag wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:18 am Really comes down to what you can afford and what your interest are. I've know guys that have had great scope's and rubbish bino's and cheap scopes and expensive binoculars. either way they can't see in low light and that's the time the animals like to come out. I think most would agree Swaro and Leica are the kings in binoculars. Whos better, well that's the argument of the millennium. If Sawro brought some 15x56 and 10x42 with ballistic calculator in their rangefinders, I would probably own them. But they don't and Leica do. I personally believe Leica truly have the hunter in mind as there continually bringing out gear focused on hunter's. Regardless if your a stalker or like to think you can take long shots, the Leica range of binoculars have the hunter in mind. Swaro have the tech and my understand is, they have had it for many, many years and is what's running Burris scopes. They brought the DS out last year which worked fantastically. Now if they add it to their binocular range, well I think they will be on top of the hill. But for me Leica all the way :handgestures-thumbup:
Agreed. Leica seems more hunter focussed (here in Australia anyway) to my mind. I've moved to aiming spending the most on binos rather than scope. I spend days looking though binos and less than a minute looking through my scope (particularly at the mid ranges I hunt at). As long as the scope tracks well and is repeatable I'm good to go.
Well the guy that sells them out here loves hunting and truly listens to the hunter and sends the feedback, back to the company. They might or might not listen to him but he does try.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Sakobud

Post by Sakobud »

Central Vic wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:34 am Cheers fellas. Appreciate all the good feedback. I'm 99% convinced on the Leicas just because of the support offered here in Australia. I sent an email a while back enquiring about a a rangefinder and seeing if someone could hook me up at short notice for a hunt. The Leica national sales manager called me personally within a couple of hours of sending it and had organised and express posted a unit from an Australian retailer. Had it the next day.

If it wasn't for the support offered I would probably look more closely at the Swaro's. I'm keen on the Zeiss SF but I'm finding it difficult to track down a pair to look through. The Noctovids are stupid money, the most of any binos discussed, but looking through them everything kind of looks 3D. Its next level to anything I've seen. I'm trying to justify the cost as its tax free deployment money and somewhat invisible to the missus...

I use a tripod when stationary but looking through the ultravid HD 12Xs I'm comfortable I could hand glass them too whereas I know the 15's have a tripod to be used. For $1950 those SLCs are very tempting though...
Gunco should have stock of the Zeiss SF

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

A few observations.

Every one's idea of low light differs. European low light means after dark, and in these circumstances, Zeiss HTs (non RF) are king. Zeiss SFs have lower light transmission than HTs (92 instead of 95) and are aimed more at brilliant colour contrast and rendition that gloom cutting. Zeiss RF bins are on the SF platform. 92 is around the average for alpha bins - 95 is exceptional.

I agree with all who say that built in RF reduces light transmission, but will you notice it in the conditions you hunt in ? At long range in bad light, a shot wont be on either way.

I have deliberately not gone down the built in RF path,because for what I do, it would not be as good, but if you are doing a lot of ranging in conjunction with your glassing, the built in RF is wonderful. Quick and convenient without shuffling back and forth. Much, MUCH easier to hold a bino on a ranging target than a stand alone RF. The only downside of built in is the cost of updating. I had a pair of RF Leicas once and to my great surprise, the RF worked better that my hand held Leica RF - both same vintage - go figure.

If you can carry it, and don't mind the bulk, consider 50mm objectives, either 12x or even 10x. The increased accuity from the larger objective is noticeable and the larger exit pupil at those powers makes using them very comfortable.

I agree that the 15x, and certainly 12x, are useable at closer ranges hand held IF I can get a rest or brace against something, meaning I need to carry one bin and the tripod.

Even 8x42 on a tripod will work better than hand held 8x42.

I have often thought that 12x50 could be very useful, but although I have had a look through 12x50 Leicas (very impressive) in comparison with 10x42 Leicas, I have never used them in the field.

If you can get built in RF in whichever brand and model ends up taking your fancy, I would go that way. My only concern with Leica would be that in the past, warranty service has not had a good rep, but it seems as if they are addressing that.

The market allegiance to Swaro in Australia is unthinkingly blind. Swaro is good product, but no one manufacturer has the best offering in every slot and for every application. Keep an open mind on the alpha brands and pick the one that offers the size and features that you need.

Surgeon1

Post by Surgeon1 »

For long range shooting the Zeiss 10x40 RF have replaced my Swarovski RF!
Have several older Leica and Swarovski but for the money And everyday use I love the 2 pair of Maven that I have....15x56 & 9x45, they have been perfect!

cljordan

Post by cljordan »

Leica 10x42 geovid hd-b 3000! The built in range finder is a game changer.

longrider
Meister der jagd

Post by longrider »

After shuffling around for 10 years, I will actually stick with the same lineup this year as last:
Swarovski
10x25 compact
8x42 HD SLC outdoorsmans stud
12x50 EL SV outdoorsmans stud
BTX 95mm/65m
Leica 2800.com / Kestrel 5700 Elite
Vectronix Terrapin (original)
RRS Series 3 tripod
Outdoorsmans med tripod
*excellent tripods are invaluable to serious successful glassing
Brad

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

cljordan wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:11 am Leica 10x42 geovid hd-b 3000! The built in rage finder is a game changer.
Wait to you see their new model Geovid 3200.COM 10x42 now thats a game changer. Just bloody wish they had them in the 15X56"s :doh:

USPfan

Post by USPfan »

I'm currently running the Zeiss Victory RF 10x54, upgraded from Vortex Viper HD 10×42. They're incredible, though a bit heavy. Glass is clear, ranging works well.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I’ve expressed my opinion on this subject often and feel passionate about the subject because of where I hunt and how I hunt my binoculars are the single most important item in my kit, often the difference between success and failure. In fact I believe I can take any old gun or even my bow and demonstrate a higher success rate using my selected binoculars than I would with being able to use any gun and scope combination but limiting my Binoculars to inferior ones. They are that important to me. If I could have only one pair of binoculars, it would be my 10X42 SLC. But luckily I can choose between my Leica, Zeiss, and other Swarovski modes as appropriate for the hunt.
Robert J Stokes

Sakobud

Post by Sakobud »

Central Vic wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:51 am G'day folks,

I'm on deployment at the moment and have been putting a few of the extra $$ away each pay cheque. I was going to get a new set of binos at the end of the trip. I've had a look through a lot and like the Leica Noctovid 10X42s. Do any members here have a set and can provide feedback?

I'm after at least 10+ magnification (I have 8Xs but would like a little more). Not interested in built in rangefinders. I don't want to loose the light transmission and I have a great leica rangefinder already. Other contenders are the Swaro SLC 15X56, the new Vortex 18s and the Ultravid 12s. I like the idea of the 10s or 12s as I can glass by hand or on the tripod.

Use is high country sambar glassing up to 1km and low light work looking into gullies.

Appreciate your thoughts brains trust.
Unsure if you are still looking to buy mate but i am starting to talk myself in to selling my Leica Geovid HDB 10x42 2200 to buy the Geovid 3200.com

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Sakobud wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:14 am

I'm on deployment at the moment and have been putting a few of the extra $$ away each pay cheque. I was going to get a new set of binos at the end of the trip. I've had a look through a lot and like the Leica Noctovid 10X42s. Do any members here have a set and can provide feedback?

I'm after at least 10+ magnification (I have 8Xs but would like a little more). Not interested in built in rangefinders. I don't want to loose the light transmission and I have a great leica rangefinder already. Other contenders are the Swaro SLC 15X56, the new Vortex 18s and the Ultravid 12s. I like the idea of the 10s or 12s as I can glass by hand or on the tripod.

Use is high country sambar glassing up to 1km and low light work looking into gullies.

Unsure if you are still looking to buy mate but i am starting to talk myself in to selling my Leica Geovid HDB 10x42 2200 to buy the Geovid 3200.com
If you have the Kestrel 5700 elite and you like the long shots, it's an awesome bit of kit in the right hands. Also makes life a bit easier running it through an app and not changing over sd cards for different guns.

Sakobud

Post by Sakobud »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:29 am

If you have the Kestrel 5700 elite and you like the long shots, it's an awesome bit of kit in the right hands. Also makes life a bit easier running it through an app and not changing over sd cards for different guns.
The sd card drives me crazy hahahaha even thought you can still get EHR without the sd card with your own ballistics but would still like the ease of the app

Central Vic

Post by Central Vic »

I bought a few other toys (22LR barrel, MTB and a bunch of tools) with the money but have a little bit squirrelled away still. Let me know if you do decide to sell them and what you want for them. I'm not really looking at the moment but if the price is right who knows :D

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”