This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd
kuchnie na wymiar kraków nowoczesnekuchnie

New Swarovski NL Pure Binoculars

Post by ebrownw2 »

Swarovski has introduced a new line of premium binoculars called the NL Pure. They are available in 8x42, 10x42, and 12x42. They are available to order now, but will not ship until September. The biggest improvement is in the field of view. They have an approximately 20% larger field of view than the EL line. A neat new feature is also the optional forehead rest accessory. The forehead rest is one of my favorite things about the BTX spotting scope. This feature should really help you hold the binoculars steady. Check them out on the Swarovski website:

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/nl-pure-c210112

longrider
Meister der jagd

Re: New Swarovski NL Pure Binoculars

Post by longrider »

Thanks Eddie
Do they have the ability to accept a stud like the SLC line for outdoorsmans tripod system?
Brad

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

No, because of the location of the focusing wheel being right there.
IMG_9867.JPG

For tripod use you would need to use the Swarovski UTA Universal Tripod Adapter:

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/ ... r-p5504085

I would imagine, in time, there will be some other aftermarket options as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

Something like this would also work.

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Cinch-LR-BA

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Or this.

https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/st ... /bino-hand

Works very well, but I epoxied a thin piece pf rubber to the metal surface that grips the bin. Gives a little firmer grip using less pressure with the strap and softens the pressure on the bin. from the hard metal.

longrider
Meister der jagd

Post by longrider »

Thanks, yep that is what I thought...I would probably go with the RRS option

Thanks
Brad

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I use a lot of RRS gear in my photography hobbies and it is top notch.
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

I like the changes to the focus wheel and its positioning. It will fall more naturally under the index finger, and the added height will be particularly good with gloves on. The Zeiss HT and SF are similar to the Pure in that regard, and work very well.

Not sure about offering a 12x with a 42 objective, but the exit pupil of 3.5mm isn't much smaller than the 3.73mm on 15 x 56s so I think I get where they are coming from, although 12x50 would be a lot better optically, albeit less compact.

Love the removable forehead rest. That and the 12x just might be a really good thing, although I am still sceptical about the small exit pupil. Maybe the steadiness provided by the rest will compensate for small exit pupil. 10x and the forehead rest are going to make for a VERY versatile setup. Time and experience will tell.

Either way, there is a possibility of my 15x56s getting swapped for 10x or possibly 12 x42. I'll wait for some actual use feedback and the chance to handle them.

And some price details :( :( :( :(

longrider
Meister der jagd

Post by longrider »

I think the forehead rest on the new line will help about as much as my ball cap lid for handheld work. I took it off my BTX because I don’t use it at all. Most of the time I turn the eyecups all the way in for greater FOV on the BTX and my binocular and don’t touch the glass or tripod. Amazing what a slight amount of shake will cause me to miss detail that leads to a great spot.

I see far more game or whatever detail I am looking for via a great tripod. In fact I would go with my SLC’s on a tripod over my EL’s handheld any day. Outdoorsman’s tripods for light work sitting and / or my MK2 RRS series 3 for shooting / glassing.

As far as lowlight / dark shadow work I would be surprised if the 12x42 bests the 12x50, “no replacement for displacement” - or I could be wrong - eat my words and post my new NL’s next season...anyway, a good banter before we actually play with these new Swaros.
Brad

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

My bet is that 12x42 won't come close to the 12x50, particularly in bad light, and that the difference will be quite noticeable. The fact that we have been given a 12x42 may not bode well for our chances of seeing NLs with 50mm objectives.

I noticed that Swaro are claiming 91% light transmission for the NL as opposed to 90% for the EL. Whether there has been an actual improvement or some numbers have simply been rounded up/taken to the nearest whole, only Swaro will know.

Agree on the tripod, but I am a bit over carrying 15s for the tripod, plus 8s for everything else. I could maybe make NL 10s work for both, but would need to keep my 8s for lowlight/night use.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

These will be ready to ship in just a couple of weeks....contact me for the best deal in the free world.

MC2

Post by MC2 »

Eddie is the best deal on Swarovski; no guff great stuff!

rsenatro

Post by rsenatro »

Have wondered why there is no 15x in the EL series. Maybe this is why? With the forehead rest they seem to be heading that way.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

rsenatro wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:49 am
Have wondered why there is no 15x in the EL series. Maybe this is why? With the forehead rest they seem to be heading that way.
Perhaps total sales of 15x56 would stay the same with two models ?

I expect that they are not the biggest seller as it is, and if so, it makes no commercial sense to make two different versions for no increase in sales.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I don’t know, but suspect the reason there has never been 15X EL has more to do with market strategy. The EL line was marketed to the birding community where they are somewhat of a status symbol, while the SLC was marketed to the hunting community.

Out in the west where I now live the 15X56 SLC is very popular with hunters for long range location of Coues deer, javelina and mule deer but they are very unwieldy for birding requiring a tripod mount for steady viewing which is expected in hunting but not birding. All the birders I know use Els of 10x42 max and then a sporting scope for longer range identification.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”