RAIL MOUNT VS RINGS

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

sav338
Meister der jagd

Re: RAIL MOUNT VS RINGS

Post by sav338 »

Joe338ST wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:04 am Did this work for you Streve???

If you knocked it it would move.
So no I wasn’t happy with it.
Maybe I didn’t torque it enough or it needed a rubber washer in between .

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

I don't think a rail mount and scope was ever intended to be used as a LR working platform with a bubble cant. Maybe one of the flip type cants can be mount by a gun smith or professional fitter to the side of the rail that flips up out of the way and is secure from damage.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

MD Driver

Post by MD Driver »

Hi Steve,
I have both, and use them on Mauser M03 and Blaser R8 guns. No question, the rail mounts and top shelf and much better than rings. The Swarovski rails also have a sawtooth engagement inside the rail which prevents the scope from moving. The Zeiss rails are smooth and rely on the grip compression between the mount and rail. While I prefer the Swarovski mount, the Zeiss has never been a problem.

Good question to ask, and congrats on deciding to get this very fine system.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

Rail mount by a thousand miles.

Rail mount scopes list off the top of my head: Kaps, Meopta, Swarovski, Kahles, Zeiss, Blaser, Leica, Steiner, and Noblex (Docter).

There are mountain of scope mount companies making them; Blaser, EAW, Dentler and a slug of others.

I hate Talley mounts as well. Only scope mounts I have ever broke, and they always screw up the scope.

Kflattmann
Meister der jagd

Post by Kflattmann »

Since my Blaser transition in the last 60 days…all sport a rail mount and everything going forward will as well except maybe the rimfire. Hands down a better, cleaner way to go. Looks fantastic as well compared to rings………
You will not be disappointed nor entertain rings again.
I’ve mounted many scopes in the past and just the ease of this mounting system is worth the coin…….

D16er

Post by D16er »

stokesrj wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:22 pm I also like rail scopes and they are my choice for most traditional hunting applications. However the notion that they are always plumb and level is incorrect. I had to send a Zeiss HT back to the factory and they replaced it because the housing was machined out of plumb. And one of my Swarovski Z8 SR had to be shimmed to bring it perfectly plumb. But once plumb they are the cat’s meow. And that was only a couple out of a couple dozen.
Hello Stokesrj,

How were you able to determine the leveling was incorrect?

I too am deciding which system to go with and as of now the rail is my choice but would like to know what to look for if I decide to go that route.

Thank you all for the info!

Kflattmann
Meister der jagd

Post by Kflattmann »

I had to go check to be sure but I have 7 Z8’s rails now and checked each one and all are perfect. I’ve never experienced that. I’ve never owned anything other than the Swarovski so I can’t speak on the other…..

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

D16er wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:39 pm
stokesrj wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:22 pm I also like rail scopes and they are my choice for most traditional hunting applications. However the notion that they are always plumb and level is incorrect. I had to send a Zeiss HT back to the factory and they replaced it because the housing was machined out of plumb. And one of my Swarovski Z8 SR had to be shimmed to bring it perfectly plumb. But once plumb they are the cat’s meow. And that was only a couple out of a couple dozen.
Hello Stokesrj,

How were you able to determine the leveling was incorrect?

I too am deciding which system to go with and as of now the rail is my choice but would like to know what to look for if I decide to go that route.

Thank you all for the info!
Well first off I could see it just by eyeballing the scope to stock and by changing to different barrels and different stocks convinced myself it was out of plumb but before sending the first one back to ZEISS I put up a plumb Bob and used a level across the rear of the receiver with the bolt housing removed. Then ZEISS confirmed the issue and replaced the scope. For the Swarovski, I just used the plumb Bob and level trick and then shimmed it.
Robert J Stokes

motofrog

Post by motofrog »

Man I have some nice 30mm and 34mm tubed scopes it would be a shame to set aside to get a rail scope replacement. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it as of now sans rifle that would be putting the cart before the horse.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I would not advise letting my two cases sway you, I have many others that are perfect and so do others on this forum.
Robert J Stokes

motofrog

Post by motofrog »

stokesrj wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:51 pm I would not advise letting my two cases sway you, I have many others that are perfect and so do others on this forum.
Would Swaro not warranty the same as Zeiss?

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I didn’t want to send it back, it was easier for me to shim it, and the shim is inside the Blaser mount so undetectable that it was done.
Robert J Stokes

Illaheman

Post by Illaheman »

Seriously considering a LM rail mount scope for my Sauer 200. Anyone willing to recommend a two piece mount that would work with existing Sauer 200 or 202 mounting holes and accommodate a Docter 30mm 2.5-10x48 LM rail mount? I have an email out to Optics trade but haven’t heard back. Would love to keep my purchase around $200usd, or buy used if possible.

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”