Scope for Blaser R8 22LR

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

Rod
Meister der jagd

Re: Scope for Blaser R8 22LR

Post by Rod »

marauder wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:35 am My Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 arrived recently. Seems like a nice scope but unfortunately the closest setting for the parallax / side focus is actually 50m, not 10m as was stated on the Zeiss website.

Probably not a huge issue but still annoying as that’s one of the main reasons I chose this scope.

Anyone had a chance to use theirs yet?
Still waiting on my 30mm Blaser mount to arrive from Europe and still waiting on the Meopro Optic5 as well.

Got a 1” mount and no scope and a 30mm scope and no mount 😂😂😂

Oh well

Cheers
Rod

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Rod wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:59 am
marauder wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:35 am My Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 arrived recently. Seems like a nice scope but unfortunately the closest setting for the parallax / side focus is actually 50m, not 10m as was stated on the Zeiss website.

Probably not a huge issue but still annoying as that’s one of the main reasons I chose this scope.

Still waiting on my 30mm Blaser mount to arrive from Europe and still waiting on the Meopro Optic5 as well.

Oh well

Cheers
Rod

Have you considered buying 30mm rings say from Tier One in England and swapping out the 1” ?

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

sav338 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:09 am
Rod wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:59 am

Oh well

Cheers
Rod

Have you considered buying 30mm rings say from Tier One in England and swapping out the 1” ?
Yep. But…..didn’t. Hopefully the mount will arrive soon.

Cheers
Rod

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I had the chance to use three different high end scopes in an NRL22 match yesterday and finalize my choice for my Vudoo V22. This is not the kind of scope I would put on my R8 as it is for a special purpose NRL22 and NRL22X matches. The R8 is not suited for these matches because of magazine capacity and time limits that would cause it to be non competitive.
The three scopes I tried were the Nightforce ATACR 7-35, Zero Compromise ZCO 5-25, and the Kahles K525i DLR.
All were excellent optically, far better than needed. Of the three the ZC525 was the best. Mechanically all three were excellent with crisp turrent movements and impeccable tracking, however the ZCO movements were just a little better and promises to be more durable because of a larger bearing surface on the teeth of the roller detents. But that remains to be seen over time.
Ergonomics we’re good on all but shooting stages with varying distances under the clock revealed the Kahles to be far superior allowing full and rapid control under the stress of time pressure. The main difference is the Parralax knob or wheel is mounted in the vertical turrent so it can be adjusted without breaking position and more rapidly because of its wheel/lever. Also the windage turrent can be located on the left for right hand shooters or right for left hand shooters which again allows adjustment without reaching over the scope and breaking position.
The Zero Compromise had the best warranty of the three with a no questions asked Lifetime guarantee.
So which did I choose? Th Kahles because rapid adjustment is the higher priority. But honestly any of the three are more than good enough but they should be at this price point in the middle to high three thousand dollar range.
I am sticking with my Nightforce 4-16 F1 SHV for my R8 22 barrel.
Robert J Stokes

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I thought this was an interesting read.

The easiest way to correctly set the parallax is to look at the target and gently rotate the ring on the side focus. When the target is in focus and the image offers the best sharpness, move the eye from the optical axis to any direction. If the rifle is properly supported and fixed, the reticle should not move on the target when the eye is moved from the optical axis. If it does, parallax adjustment must be fine-tuned until the reticle is still, even if the eye of the shooter is moving around the optical axis.

“Do not mind the meters or yards written on the adjustable objective, since they only provide an approximate value. There is nothing unusual if these values do not correspond well with the actual target distances.”
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Yep Zeroed it in on the 243 barrel and will put the other one on the 223 barrel later on. Fantastic scope for just over a K delivered. :handgestures-thumbup:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

marauder

Post by marauder »

Robert: thanks for the insight on the precision scopes!

9.3x64: I will try that and see how it does with getting a sharp image and parallax in the back yard.

deerhunter338mag: awesome to hear!

marauder

Post by marauder »

I tried installing the Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 in a Blaser saddle mount with the low (4.2mm high) 30mm rings. Unfortunately the flat bottom part in the middle of the scope body fouls on the base, so it can’t go low enough to sit flush in the rings.

I’ve ordered some higher (7.2mm high) 30mm Blaser rings which should hopefully work. It's a shame I have to raise it up as there is already enough clearance for the objective and ocular lenses at the current height.

I also noticed that I had to move the scope back in the rings as far as it would go to get the eye relief comfortable at max (16x) magnification.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

Don't forget, once you fasten the screws it also lowers the scope by a mm or two.

Anything Zeiss like that needs high rings. :handgestures-thumbup:

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

marauder wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:58 pm I tried installing the Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 in a Blaser saddle mount with the low (4.2mm high) 30mm rings. Unfortunately the flat bottom part in the middle of the scope body fouls on the base, so it can’t go low enough to sit flush in the rings.

I’ve ordered some higher (7.2mm high) 30mm Blaser rings which should hopefully work. It's a shame I have to raise it up as there is already enough clearance for the objective and ocular lenses at the current height.

I also noticed that I had to move the scope back in the rings as far as it would go to get the eye relief comfortable at max (16x) magnification.
Bloody hell……I have the exact same issue. Mount complete with low rings arrived from optictrade a few days ago. Went to mount the exact same scope and 🙈 rings are 1mm or less too low. 😂😂

Been ringing around and annoying others (Theo) to acquire a set of high rings ( apparently no medium size is made) got a set in Australia 🎉. Then found out that due to lockdown it will be a 3 to 4 weeks ETA . 🙈

Only reason I didn’t order a new set through optictrade is because last order took over a month to arrive ( normally 7 days)

Still waiting on the Optic5 too. ETA Christmas 🎅.

Life wasn’t meant to be easy 👍

Rod

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

You can avoid all these issues two ways, choose a rail mount or do the math for a ring mount which is much easier said than done.
Robert J Stokes

marauder

Post by marauder »

Rail mounts are awesome. It's a shame they are not more prolific, particularly outside of high-end Euro rifles and optics (like Blaser, Swaro, Zeiss, etc). Rings just seem so complicated and fiddly and outdated in comparison.

Rod
Meister der jagd

Post by Rod »

stokesrj wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:30 pm You can avoid all these issues two ways, choose a rail mount or do the math for a ring mount which is much easier said than done.
Aarrhhh……. :roll: yep. 👍👍 but where is the adventure in that?

Rod :D

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

marauder wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:58 pm I tried installing the Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 in a Blaser saddle mount with the low (4.2mm high) 30mm rings. Unfortunately the flat bottom part in the middle of the scope body fouls on the base, so it can’t go low enough to sit flush in the rings.

You should be able to get these - Blaser scope ring spacer - either from NZ or from Australia.
https://www.blaser.co.nz/products/blase ... unt-spacer
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Geez they are low rings, I have never used rings that low for any of my scopes. All my scopes are mounted as far back in the rings as possible. It’s no big issue.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”