What are your 2022 hunting plans or application draws

This is the place to discuss and compare all outdoor optics. Sponsored by
Euro Optic, and, Titanium Gunworks.

Moderators: thechamp, Dom

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Re: What are your 2022 hunting plans or application draws

Post by Gamsjagd »

I am a DAV so I get the discount need to get my paperwork done.

Blueranger

Post by Blueranger »

Turkey and morel mushrooms at the Kansas ranch in April and White tail in the fall. 3-day Texas quail hunt won by my brother at DU Banquet.

Huntinwild88

Post by Huntinwild88 »

Gamsjagd wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:24 pm I am a DAV so I get the discount need to get my paperwork done.
Thank you for your service. I'm stationed about 3 hours west of you over in Mountain Home.

Just a heads up. All non-res tags are sold out. Some will become available again after draw results are out I'm sure. Being that your moving to Idaho falls there are some pretty good archery mule deer units over that way. One of them runs into the rut and the rifle tag for that unit is draw only so it produces some larger than normal public land deer.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

Huntinwild88 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:34 pm
Gamsjagd wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:24 pm I am a DAV so I get the discount need to get my paperwork done.
Thank you for your service. I'm stationed about 3 hours west of you over in Mountain Home.

Just a heads up. All non-res tags are sold out. Some will become available again after draw results are out I'm sure. Being that your moving to Idaho falls there are some pretty good archery mule deer units over that way. One of them runs into the rut and the rifle tag for that unit is draw only so it produces some larger than normal public land deer.
Cool, how is your PX? Good furniture selection? We are thinking about dumping most of our furniture (we, bullshit she!).

I think there is a Blaser dealer out in between Pocatello and Mountain Home.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

It is 180 days. https://idfg.idaho.gov/licenses/residen ... 0residency.

So if we got there in 15 April (just guessing), we'd be October 15th legal for OTC.

I'll apply in June. I am sending my VA letter this week to the Fish and Game to get it set up, so I can apply at the cheaper rate.

Huntinwild88

Post by Huntinwild88 »

Well my 2022 hunt plans just changed dramatically!!
I will no longer be hunting Idaho because I am moving to Alaska!

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

Hot damn that's great news!

Eielson, Elmendorf or that Clear the Arctic Hell place?

Have you been up there before? I can give you a lot of great information about Eielson and Elmendorf.

I was a police officer on the slope the first time I got out of the military, lived in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Sitka and Barrow. We moved back up there in 2014 when I retired. Worked on JBER for a while, If I could find a job that paid what I wanted I'd be up there right now.

Be forewarned if it is Fairbanks or Clear, people outside of Anchorage have this really strange part of their personality. I don't know what to call it, sometimes it is entitlement, sometimes it is indifference. It is a wonderful place to live, but people are nuts.

If they let you, you want to drive. It is a hell of an experience. I did it twice, once in July and once in October.

In July I saw over 30 moose, over 30 bears (including a grizzly in the Yukon), mountain caribou in the Yukon, Alaskan caribou in Alaska, stone sheep, dall sheep, mountain goats, bison, elk amazing.

In October I saw bison (was hunting season and everything knew it).

Do not try to drive the Coquihalla highway between Vancouver and Whitehorse. It is poorly supported, if you are dragging a Uhaul and you break down they will not help you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_C ... _Highway_5 Uhaul will tell you this.

Drive the normal ALCAN.

We did it like this and then in reverse. Works really well.

Great Falls, MT (stocked up at the PX and stayed at TLF). We learned the hard way, whatever you want to drink you better be well stocked before you leave Edmonton, and it will be much cheaper at the commisary in Great Falls.

Red Deer, AB we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. We had a late start and it took 2 hours to get through customs.

Dawson Creek, BC we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express again. There is a place called Boston Pizza, which was really decent.

Muchno Lake, BC we stayed at the campground in a tent. I didn't sleep we had bears and moose outside the tent multiple times. If you have a camper great, but probably ideal to sleep in the vehicle if you don't. Coal River Lodge isn't much farther if you want a hotel room (we didn't know that going up). Muncho camp ground was $40 Canadian cash (a BS amount of money for a hell of a view).

Whitehorse, YT. Tons of places to stay and a nice place to take a break and do some family stuff. There are numerous museums, downtown has a lot of shopping. Canadians don't have very good SWAG. Most of the T-shirts and caps are recycled designs you see everywhere else. Whitehorse Walmart is also a good place to camp if you have a camper.

The American border crossing took sometime and we ended up getting to Tok after dark. So we stayed in the BLM or Forest Service Tok campground. Most of the really crappy hotels in Tok are $200. We reorganized the Uhaul so we could sleep in the pickup topper. I was retired and unsupported by the government, so we weren't spending $$$ willy-nilly. I think it was still $25, nuts for not much.

Tok is about 3-4 hours from Fairbanks (it would be less if it wasn't Alaska and the roads didn't suck), and 6-8 hours from Anchorage.

Be really cautious about going to too fast anywhere north of Fort Saint John. Google ice heaves, basically water gets under the road and during the freeze it lifts up the highway. The worst spots are anywhere in Alaska and the Yukon not within visible distance of Homer, Alaska.

I bought a little box trailer to move back with in Anchorage and the ice heaves destroyed it and I had to rent a trailer in Whitehorse to get to California when we moved back. Ice heaves suck!

Five last thoughts, but PM if you want to talk over the phone no problem.

1. Don't drive at night, too much wildlife.
2. Watch your speed, as I said between the wildlife and the ice heaves it really is a dangerous place to drive.
3. Get gas when you see gas available. Even if you are at 3/4 of a tank.
4. I bought new tires for the trip and it was 100% worth it. I wouldn't drive up there on bad rubber.
5. Buy a milepost guidebook. They are about $15-25 and get the newest one. You may not use it all the time, but you'll be surprised by the value of it. Even when you are up there. Fun thing for the kids to be able to flip through on mile marker whatever to find something interesting. The road is marked for every mile from Dawson Creek or Fort Saint John (I can't remember) all the way to Delta Junction.

Konrad.inc

Post by Konrad.inc »

My plan is to plan for Africa 2023.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Finally got out to do some hunting. Those darn steel loads can't hold a candle to the tungsten loads.

Return to “Optics - Hunting and Sport”