I've created a monster

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

SPEEDY

I've created a monster

Post by SPEEDY »

I used to run a 5lt still when I was moving around a lot, then when I brought my house I had always promised my self a proper big still so I bought a 20lt.

But now I've realized my dream, my old 20lt still is now the thump keg to my new monster 58lt slice of redneck heaven.
And she's beautiful, I name her Grendel.

She started out as a 58lt sealed wine fermentation tank but a trip to the hardware store and a bit of work wi5h the drill and some files and now my dream is made real. :dance: :dance: :dance:

The 1st run will be on Thursday due to a blackout on Wednesday but I've got 30lt of rum ready to go.
My 20lt still and 25lt fermentation barrel has now become a 58lt still, 20lt thump keg and two 45lt fermentation barrels and a 20lt test run barrel.
15401990402630.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Re: I've created a monster

Post by Oscar »

Noting that capacity......when does the spare liver arrive!

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Now for the real Proper Twelve. :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm waiting on my rum to finish fermenting but the damn thing keeps on bubbling away, I put a big batch of rye mash on about 3 days back in and it's probably going to be ready to run before that rum.
Although this rum is the 1st time I've run a mash with my previous Lee's, I'm going for a sour mash rum.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm running her tomorrow, although I'm also contemplating putting two internal heating elements in her as that portable electric stove might not be up to the task, might bring her inside to test run her before jumping into that 1st.

I also decided to rename her, she's no longer Grendel.

Since she can be quickly converted from 58lt to a 20lt and makes great tasting shine that us so good you will will drink your liver away and smile the hole time it got me thinking.
She's a stubby funny looking girl that secretly goes both ways, she will slowly and secretly poison and destroy men and if you don't watch her closely then she could explode violently without warning or provocation.

So I decided to name her Hillary instead. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

As per usual things didn't go as planned, 1st my portable electric stove couldn't run the still, 2nd it's too big to fit on the kitchen stove so I had to go to the home brew shop and buy 2 10amp heating elements.
Then I didn't have a drill bit big enough so off to the hardware store to buy a big Christmas tree step drill, non on the shelf so 30min while they found one out back tabd then it was too much draw for my power board so I had to join 3 small leads together to run both elements.

But she's running now so fingers crossed.
15409753178870.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

What about using a portable gas burner ?
4158CE33-DEF8-4F24-86CC-9963DAFE81DB.png

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Gas, flame, still that puts out some vapor when it gets too hot = bad time had by all.

This is actually quite efficient, over 1lt run and it's still at 140 proof (70%)
I'm pretty happy with Hillary and not many men can say that. :lol:

The lid on the boiler isn't as sealed as I thought it would be and I had to put 4 bricks on top to stop alcohol vapor steaming out, I will put some plumbers tape around the rim next run and she should be a well oiled machine.

The 1st run on any still is where you pick up any problems, so the 2nd run is always smoother and much better.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

She's running great with the new 60lt water recirculation system for the worm, there's a leak at the thermometer but now I've identified it I can fix that with some plumbers tape.

Running out at 70% and its making the smoothest rum I've ever tasted, I've definitely got a winner here. :handgestures-thumbup:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/ef0dKBhes1M[/BBvideo]
20181102_150725.jpg

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”