Canned Venison

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

Corjack
Administrator

Canned Venison

Post by Corjack »

I was in PA a while back, and a friend had canned up some deer meat. I remember my mom and grandmother doing that, and since my deep freeze is so full I can hardly find anything, I decided to give it a try.

Cubed it up about 5/8 inch chunks. Packed it, loosely and away I went. Ended up with 6 quarts, six pints and three pints of chili.

Looks good. Next time I will pack it tighter as it really cooked down more than I figured.
CCD50F35-00F8-43DA-BBEA-7B6AF337A8C4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Chamois71

Re: Canned Venison

Post by Chamois71 »

That there is some good stuff!! I’ve only ever seen/heard of folks in PA doing it. I also had a PA chap that did it with black bear…better than beef!
"That if you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on the animal’s terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always recapture the day." —R.Ruark

Blueranger

Post by Blueranger »

my mom does this as well, it has become the top item on my brothers Christmas list. Great for a quick hot meal.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Good stuff Ron. My workmate did a bunch and we were still using it years later in curries.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

I think I'm going to try this.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've done that for camping meals, also done it with fat which I think is easier. But it tastes good and lasts long out of the fridge which is perfect for camping as you can keep more important things like the beer cold. 😉
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Donald
Pro Staff

Post by Donald »

Hey Corjack, this is indeed very popular in Pennsylvania, I don't know anywhere else it's popular. Did you use pressure cooker? The reason I ask is apparently people are now using Instant Pot kettle's to can venison. Just wanted to ask out of curiosity.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Donald wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:04 am Hey Corjack, this is indeed very popular in Pennsylvania, I don't know anywhere else it's popular. Did you use pressure cooker? The reason I ask is apparently people are now using Instant Pot kettle's to can venison. Just wanted to ask out of curiosity.

Pressure canner
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've got to get a pressure canner and start doing this more often.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”