The infamous rabbit pies

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

Gun Barrel Ecologist

The infamous rabbit pies

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

I recently got a chance to take my Mauser M201 into the field for the first time since replacing its bolt pin (Thanks Robinica ;) ) and managed to connect of a couple of rabbits digging up a lawn.
IMG_1334.jpg
As I was staying with a septuagenarian with a pantry laden with dried fruit I couldn't help but be reminded of this recipe and gave it another run :D

Old English Rabbit Pies with Bacon, Apple and Prunes

1 rabbit,
IMG_1333.jpg
I tend to bone it out into chunks no bigger than 1 inch by half inch as I make many small pies, the original recipe calls for bone in joints and a pie with only a top crust cooked in a pie dish :snooty:
2 medium onions, chopped fairly small
8 oz (225 g) bacon, I used 6 full rashers cut into half by half inch
1 medium cooking apple, peeled and sliced
4 oz (110 g) pitted prunes (weighed after the stones have been removed), chopped
½ pint (275 ml) dry cider - I gave mercury hard cider a go and the leftovers were quite palatable.
¾ pint (425 ml) stock or water
½ whole nutmeg, grated
1 bay leaf
1½ oz (40 g) plain flour
1½ oz (40 g) butter
salt and freshly milled black pepper
several sheets of puff pastry depending on your chosen pie size

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7, 425°F (220°C).

Place rabbit meat in a large saucepan.

Tuck in the onion and apple among the meat. Add bacon to the saucepan along with the bayleaf, a little salt and some freshly milled pepper.

Pour in the cider and the stock, bring to simmering point, skim off any bits of scum, then put a lid on and leave to simmer gently for about an hour and a half depending on age of rabbit (cook until tender).

When it's cooked, remove the rabbit pieces together with the bacon, apple and onion (with a draining spoon) and transfer them to the pie dish, sprinkling in the chopped prunes as well.
IMG_1330.jpg
When the rabbit mix has started to cool I add it to puff pastry pie bases in muffin trays - a decent size muffin tray will yield 9 pies, a smaller one 12 pies. I'd suspect theirs enough mixture for 2 of the 9 inch aluminium pie trays you buy at supermarkets.

Now mix the flour and butter to a smooth paste, then add this mixture to the stock in the saucepan, adding it in tiny (peanut-size) pieces, stir them round over a medium heat to melt and thicken the sauce.

Sprinkle in the nutmeg and when the sauce reaches simmering point pour it over the rabbit. If you've gone for smaller pies you will have sauce left over, I should reduce the amount of stock I use initially but haven't worried enough thus far.

Dampen the edge of the pastry bases and lid edge and place the pastry lid in position on top, pressing well all round to seal the edges.

Make a small hole for steam to escape, then bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Probably goes well with a Pinot but I made do with a Barossa Shiraz :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KZ45
Meister der jagd

Re: The infamous rabbit pies

Post by KZ45 »

I've never had such a dish, but would be more than willing to give it a try. No picture of the finished pie?

skeetshot

Post by skeetshot »

Sounds wickedly delicious

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Pies really are not given the credit they should. Game pies are a great way to utilise the meat and a great way to introduce game meat to others. Good stuff... In fact after reading this I made some venison mix to make into a pie

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Sounds yummy :drool:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Mmm that does sound nice.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

Be nice if we could do a video on this, and maybe get Greg in Poland to edit, and produce it. It is such a classy recipe, I think we might want to consider it. We could call the video "Blasers, Bunnies, And Beer"

I remember my grandmother using nutmeg in one way or other in about every meat dish she prepared. It is seldom used in most modern cooking I see. Glad to see it included in this dish.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

KZ45 wrote:I've never had such a dish, but would be more than willing to give it a try. No picture of the finished pie?
Finished pies prepared in muffin trays come out looking similar to the ones shown here http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/viewtop ... f=21&t=882
Corjack wrote:Be nice if we could do a video on this, and maybe get Greg in Poland to edit, and produce it. It is such a classy recipe, I think we might want to consider it. We could call the video "Blasers, Bunnies, And Beer"

I remember my grandmother using nutmeg in one way or other in about every meat dish she prepared. It is seldom used in most modern cooking I see. Glad to see it included in this dish.
We might have to keep an eye out of EU copyright infringement - which is why I always subtlely alter the recipes to my pallet :whistle:

The use of freshly home ground nutmeg gives it an extra flavour note over the pre powdered stuff. Another worthwhile tweak is really tart " wild "crabapple" style cooking apples - there were a few wild trees down in the forests in southern NSW which produced an almost inedible Apple that cooked up brilliantly.

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”