Trick for lean meat.

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

custombolt

Trick for lean meat.

Post by custombolt »

This might work for wild game since fat content can be lower than store bought meats in general.
The main point of this is that I've found that too much heat causes evaporation and that seems to be the enemy in that it can dry meats out.
I've done the following to venison roasts and beef roasts and the flavor is as good as it can I get in my opinion and it is very simple and prep is a snap.
The BB preserves tame the gamey flavor out of venison and the acid in the pepper relish seems to tenderize the beef and well, see what you think. Might try it on other cuts. Add some garlic powder if you like.
Get your 4-5 quart iron cook pot.

For #1 & 2, first lay in a layer of small red potatoes, carrots, celery and onions in the bottom first followed by no more than 1 cup of home-made beef stock.

1. Venison shoulder roast. Add salt and pepper and lay on top of the vegg. Top with some blackberry preserves and cover with tight fitting lid or a sheet of aluminum foil then the lid if lid has a gap.
BAKE AT 190 degrees for 6-8 hours. Do not disturb.

2. Beef sirloin roast, same as #1 but top with a 1/4 cup or so of hot pepper relish (sold in a jar for subs as a spread).
BAKE at 190 same deal.

3. Pork for pulled pork BBQ. Nothing but (no vegetables, no potatoes) salt & pepper, Hungarian Paprika dusted onto a big pork loin roast. Add 1 cup of chicken stock mixed with about 1/2 cup of sweet baby Ray's BBQ sauce.
BAKE AT 175 for about 8 hours.

Might work for other game........dunno.
CB

custombolt

Re: Trick for lean meat.

Post by custombolt »

Nobody cook venison at low temps like this? That venison roast was buttery and the best I ever had.
Low fat, low temp to keep the little fat from cooking out???

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

I cook my pork ribs and Brisket at 180-190 for varying times after taking it off the smoker. And it is tender
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

custombolt

Post by custombolt »

Me too. I've found that both meats must be good and dark coming out of the smoker. Otherwise the fat is overpowering since the oven doesn't render much out at low temp. Thanks for the back up. Happy eatin'.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I like to do two things, soak the meat in brine water to remove excessive game taste and then sear the outside well to lock in the juice before slow roasting.

Interesting fact, bacteria only lives on the outside few mm of meats so by searing it you can slow cook the meat safely.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

I've pre-cooked baby back ribs in the oven and then put them on the grill with lots of smoke headed their way. Add some Baby Rays sauce as they cook and make them nice and sticky with it. They are excellent... Never tried putting jam in with any kind of meat. Do you taste the blackberry jam later or does it tend to disappear? Blackberry jam in itself is plenty good but just curious how it does in this fashion.

Scotch_egg

Post by Scotch_egg »

I use red current jelly in the centre of a hanunch along with really fatty bacon in place of the bone.

custombolt

Post by custombolt »

No lingering taste of the preserves champ.
WHY AM I SIGNED IN FINE UNTIL I TRY TO POST? THEN I'm REQUESTED TO SIGN IN AGAIN.
Seems like a glitch. Maybe? Help appreciated.

custombolt

Post by custombolt »

Also, my message is wiped out after I re-sign in.

slugslinger

Post by slugslinger »

Yes, its a bit of a "glitch".
When you log in, you must select "Remember me" . . . or your session goes to sleep while you're typing.
NRA Patriot Life Endowment Member
USAF Veteran

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I'm giving this one a shot today, I'm unsupervised, my wife is away, so hope I don't burn the house down. I could only find one kind of Hot Pickle Relish, hope this is what you meant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

custombolt

Post by custombolt »

Yep. That's the stuff. It's also sold as hoagie relish. Add very little heat if any. It's all about the flavor, kind of add a slight tang with a hint of roasted red pepper flavor.

7x57
Meister der jagd

Post by 7x57 »

thechamp wrote:I've pre-cooked baby back ribs in the oven and then put them on the grill with lots of smoke headed their way. Add some Baby Rays sauce as they cook and make them nice and sticky with it. They are excellent... Never tried putting jam in with any kind of meat. Do you taste the blackberry jam later or does it tend to disappear? Blackberry jam in itself is plenty good but just curious how it does in this fashion.

Had a slow cooked beef roast recipe that called for red currant jelly. Didn't have any so tried marmalade!! Along with vegetables etc as in custom lots recipe the jam workes a treat. No jam taste eat all and the resultant gravy had a slight sweetness but not over powering.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Actually, I think I will do a leg of venison in the camp oven today. I'm thinking of honey soy with garlic and cummin.
I've just got a hankering for it for some reason.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Gents , I'm assuming you mean 190 F?

Cheers

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”