Spicy Maple Syrup Glaze

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

dinsdale
Meister der jagd

Spicy Maple Syrup Glaze

Post by dinsdale »

This is good on ham,pork chops,pork roast.....

If you can get ham steaks about 3/4" thick;this is very good.

1 cup syrup
4 tbsp of Dijon mustard
2 or 3 tbsp cider vinegar (less for red or white;or you can use apple juice,or cider;looking for an acid)
2 or 3 tbsp of soy sauce
Some pepper,maybe some salt depending on the soy sauce(if it's light then add)

I cook this a bit in a sauce pan to blend the flavors;while thats going I already have the cut of meat in the oven starting.

If its a roast or chops I brown them on the stove top,and use the same pan for the glaze....Ham I put right in the oven;all at 350-375 (hotter for thicker in general)

About 15 minutes in to cooking for a big piece of meat;I add the glaze.If its chops or a ham steak right after I warm the glaze.I find the thick cuts need to get cooking otherwise the mustard browns.I don't care for the flavor of crusty brown spicey mustard it can get bitter.

This is better under cooked as a glaze than overcooked.

On ham an option is to simmer the glaze as a side sauce and just cook normal,and serve as a condiment.You wouldn't prebrown a piece of ham before cooking.

I cook trying to understand the reasons for ingredients rather than a set ridgid recipe,and adjust alot on taste.So the raw pork more salt won't hurt,on the ham you want less,since it's already cured.

skeetshot

Re: Spicy Maple Syrup Glaze

Post by skeetshot »

Dinsdale,

You obviously know and understand your cooking.

Need to try this out and report back :)

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”