Awesome baked potato halves.

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

custombolt

Awesome baked potato halves.

Post by custombolt »

Try this spin on a regular baked potato.

Set the oven to 375 and cut some medium sized California russets (a.k.a Idaho) in half lengthwise down through the widest part. Lay them on a metal baking sheet inside face up and sprinkle on some pink Himalayan salt, fine white pepper and plenty of Hungarian paprika or your favorite paprika. Drizzle olive oil over the seasoning, enough to make it wet and bake for 1 hour.
Mash and add butter or let them cool a bit and eat as-is.

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Re: Awesome baked potato halves.

Post by pagosawingnut »

Sounds tasty!
I usually bake mine, finely chop a Habanero pepper and put on it along with scallion, bacon bits and sour cream, butter.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I come from Irish settled spud country, the premiere potato country in australia.
I know a thing or two about spuds.
This sounds alright to me, salt is what makes the skin crisp and crunchy, I also love Hungarian sweet paprika.

The real trick to cooking potatoes is to choose the right potatoes for the right purpose, some potatos are good for mashing and chips like a Sebago or a baking one like a Désirée that also cooks great inva stew.
I'm a huge fan of new potatos expecially Coliban for for things like Indian curry potato or they would be great like this dish you mention, the skin goes very crisp, they are firm enough to hold together solid and the flesh stays very sweet.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

My quick review....potatos are evil. They are my arch nemesis in the kitchen. If there is one item that will stuff up any dish I make by not allowing enough time for the little buggers to cook properly it will be potatoes, particularly if baked. If a recipe states one hour I can assure you for me, they still will not be cooked. Now if the buggers weren't so tasty I would happily see them become extinct as a flora species such is my loathing for cooking the buggers haha.

However your recipes is similar to something I do...except the following.

1. par boil first, drain and cool.
2. Pre heat oven to 200c
3. Heat 250ml of oil ( duck fat is better)
4. Whilst heating up oil put potatoes in baking tray and flip tray to rough the edges up ( instead of your mashing)
5. Pour over duck fat and sprinkle salt ( Murray river salt), pepper and rosemary leaves.
6. Cook for 1 hour ( yes the buggers take that long for me...see foreword comments)
7 will be browned up nicely, edges will be crunchier, sides firm but soft inside.....though suggest test at 30 min mark and go from there...might try with the paprika next time though

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Its always a pleasure when Oscar announces its dinner time at camp. I don't think I've every been disappointed with his culinary delights :clap:

custombolt

Post by custombolt »

Maybe I should clarify my post a bit as it may be taken the wrong way when I said mash and add butter. What I meant by that was to serve and mash a bit with a fork and add some butter.
The skin ends up soft and buttery from the olive oil and I eat the whole thing skin included.
I'm hooked on Paprika seasoning. Got to use plenty or it doesn't add much flavor.
I'm going to get the Wife to add duck fat to her shopping list. Been wanting to try some french fries fried in duck fat.

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”