Christmas lunch / dinner

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Christmas lunch / dinner

Post by Oscar »

With the exception of some of our Kiwi friends, the Blaserbuds first to experience Christmas this year will be the Australian contingent. Depending where you live in the joint, the temps will range from a rather fluid encouraging 35 c to a rather comfortable 21c.

In the Oscar household, Christmas is celebrated with a lunch feast. My contribution is the carnivores side with a combination of hot and cold items. Cold will be the ham, garlic & rosemary stuffed lamb & the turkey. Warm will be the duck, chicken wings and roast potatoes ( cooked in duck fat of course).

However the turkey is being cooked in a rather unique ( well to me) style this year. Instead of roasting, I have gently poached it in a broth ( white wine, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves & seasoning) for 4 hours. Then is went into the fridge to cool down and dry out. Then it’s back into the oven at 260c for 40/45mins to crisp up. Yes I know Christmas is not normally the time to experiment but why the heck not........as they say in the dog sled community, unless your the lead dog the views always the same...though on reflection, talking about dog’s backsides in a cooking forum probably not the done thing.

Will let you know how it turns out, Christmas gluttony cheers to you :dance:

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Re: Christmas lunch / dinner

Post by Oscar »

Well it looks ok and from the sample slice was very moist :dance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Thankyou Oscar, our Christmas day will be celebrated in true Queensland style, sun, seafood and cold beer. I have a fridge full of North Queensland prawns and local oysters. Not to mention plenty of cold beer.
Can't wait...
Merry Christmas to everyone. :text-merryxmas:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I picked a bad day to start my diet lol!

Excessexpress

Post by Excessexpress »

Mmmmmmmm! :clap:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I hope it works out as good as it should bu full of flavor.
I went safe this Christmas by doing the desert, bread and butter pudding, 3 extra egg yokes to make the custard darker and creamier and instead of sultanas I use dried cranberries marinated in a mix of Vodka and Scotch.
Good food all round this year it seems :dance:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Gents, ladies and 243 users haha.

With Christmas just round the corner preparations have started for the feast. This year am in a new house without my big oven to do the roasting. But what I do have is a thumping great big wood fire pizza oven so tomorrow will be firing it up and cooking the festive delights in that. Have just finished prepping the stuffing so will send a pic or two tomorrow whilst cooking.

Regardless of whether you are spending the day in plus 35c with flies or -35 and ice, have a Merry Christmas Day and a great Blaserbuds new year.

With that I thought I would share a quote I saw in a local shop yesterday.

“ Dear Santa, this year could I please have a slim bod and a big fat bank account........you got it mixed up last year!”

Cheers

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Well the wife has grabbed an Aldi special. Turkey stuffed with duck, cranberries, and nuts. I'm off to get the gravox tomorrow and she's back at Aldi to get the greek special week which includes olives stuffed with fetta.

I already got 1.1kg of tiger prawns from Costco so the wife couldn't wait :lol:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

9.3x64 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:11 am Thankyou Oscar, our Christmas day will be celebrated in true Queensland style, sun, seafood and cold beer. I have a fridge full of North Queensland prawns and local oysters. Not to mention plenty of cold beer.
Can't wait...
Merry Christmas to everyone. :text-merryxmas:
Not that bloody pineapple juice 4x :lol: :lol:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

:text-merryxmas: :text-merryxmas: :text-merryxmas: :text-happynewyear: :handgestures-thumbup:

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Eat well and be merry......
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Merry Christmas one and all. Hope everyone has a great day with family , friends and a good feed.
Best wishes,
Steve

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

Merry Christmas gentlemen, I hope he all have a nice time with whoever is dear to you,
All the best,
Steve

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”