Moose meat taste

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

kirby757

Moose meat taste

Post by kirby757 »

Just how good is Moose meat ? Better than Elk?
Thanks for the input.
Bruce

stokesrj

Re: Moose meat taste

Post by stokesrj »

It depends upon what you are used to, I think moose meat is the best but I like both moose and elk really well.
The University of Alaska conducted a taste preference study between moose and caribou. The study concluded that people who lived in areas with high caribou populations preferred caribou, while people who lived in high moose population areas preferred moose. Basically, it found that you prefer what your mother fixed for you as a child.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

stokesrj wrote: The University of Alaska conducted a taste preference study between moose and caribou. The study concluded that people who lived in areas with high caribou populations preferred caribou, while people who lived in high moose population areas preferred moose. Basically, it found that you prefer what your mother fixed for you as a child.
That explains why I like middle aged women spanking me with a belt. :whistle:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

SPEEDY wrote:
stokesrj wrote: The University of Alaska conducted a taste preference study between moose and caribou. The study concluded that people who lived in areas with high caribou populations preferred caribou, while people who lived in high moose population areas preferred moose. Basically, it found that you prefer what your mother fixed for you as a child.
Do you also spend a lot of time (& money) trying to convince your lady friends to dress like the girls on the Benny Hill Show? :think:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I also prefer the taste of a good moose knuckle. :whistle:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Haven't eaten elk, but moose is excellent. Think very tasty beef, albeit a little dry if you cook it too hard or too hot. Roe deer is perhaps my favourite but as a treat, not every day food. I eat moose probably 4 times a week. Moose sausage, Mmmmmmm
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

SPEEDY wrote:
Damn, the tea is still coming out of my nose...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

pagosawingnut
Global Moderator

Post by pagosawingnut »

Having eaten a lot of elk and only a little moose, I think the moose wins. And I like elk.
It doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you shoot
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
USMC Life Member

Twinn

Post by Twinn »

Young moose is real great! But a 10-15 year old moosecow is something horrible! A real god peace, you can chew it forever!

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Twinn wrote:Young moose is real great! But a 10-15 year old moosecow is something horrible! A real god peace, you can chew it forever!
Yeah, they can chew a bit can't they :lol: :lol: :lol: luckily, they are not so common. :dance:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

:roll: :roll: :roll: You bad boys!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

SPEEDY wrote:
I know it’s early, but I think that deserves a nomination for B.B. post of the year award, comedy category.

I really liked the moose I brought back from Alaska. I’ve found my enjoyment of different game’s venison to vary greatly from animal to animal. I guess it varies greatly from animal to animal based on what they’ve been eating, their age, how the meat was handled, and a dozen other things probably. I’ve probably eaten 50 deer off my property and have some as good as venison I’ve had and some that I promptly loaded up the rest of in an ice chest and gave it away at work. My moose sample is only one animal, but I loved it. I’ve killed two antelope from the same area of New Mexico. One was terrible and one I liked as good as any game meat I’ve very had and even my wife, who does not like deer at all loved it and told me I should hunt antelope more and deer less. I’ve had the same experience with elk. A cow elk is nearly always fantastic but the bulls can sometimes be very tough. Nothing a tenderizer can’t fix. The difference in meat quality from animal to animal is even more pronounced in wild hogs. I’ve had some that were great but many more that were so bad I threw it out. Wouldn’t even give it away.

kirby757

Post by kirby757 »

Thanks for all of the input.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Thats why I only eat young does, but thats the luxury of having a choice, a young spiker is alright but does are the best.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Texas A&M did a research project on the quality of venison. The findings were that quality was not so much based on age or sex, but more on the state of weight gain. The best venison was from deer that were rapidly gaining weight such as even old bucks post rut when they were feeding heavily to add weight for Winter. The other factor was how the meat was hanged. The worst being the way we normally hang hams by the hocks. This creates tougher meat by drawing the fibers together. The tenderest meat was when a meat hook was driven through the center of a ham and hung horizontally and aged at around 50 F for five days.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”