I'm out of practice cleaning my pipes.

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

SPEEDY

I'm out of practice cleaning my pipes.

Post by SPEEDY »

I give the still a fire up tonight to clean out the lines and remove any contamination.
I'm definitly out of practice, I forgot one cardinal rule, a thumper is a separator it needs a mix of alcohol of some description before it works, I can explain it if anyone cares but I won't get into it now.
Do I removed the thumper, ran a few litre's of water through it as a regular still.
I fine tuned the water flow through the worm and have that modified and sorted now, it could use a tap on the inlet to fine tune the flow but I've got it running good now.
Tomorrow I might Christine it with a test batch of a horrific if incredibly strong brew I like to call super goon, it's cask wine run through the still, at 18%-19% its sttong going in and explosive when it's done.
6 shots and walking is tricky. :lol:

But here is a quick video of the thumper and what it should sound like, with is kind of like a metronome having a bong and of the water running through it.

It also has a rocking problem that I temporarily fixed with a brick to balance it but I will fine tune it. It's because the pot is much bigger then the stove top so I either need to concave the bottom a bit or make some feet for the other hand to sit on.

Any way here it is running.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/QXCD3pCP-Qo[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/HgHIkDblFZY[/BBvideo]
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

SPEEDY

Re: I'm out of practice cleaning my pipes.

Post by SPEEDY »

I just popped into the hardware store and picked up a few things to modify the still.
But it's come together well and looks a lot neater and more stable.
Tomorrow I will make a brick fire place that I can sit the gas burner under and hold it completely still.
Fingers crossed it all came together perfectly, I will run a cask of wine through it tomorrow and see how it performs.
20180907_202012.jpg
20180909_005249.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

:D I think you should rename your Blaserbud name to "Speedy Stiller" :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Any chance of a link to where you bought that contraption? And do they sell a copper dome top version?

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

EBay, they sell the copper dome version although it's a bit more fiddly it makes a nice drop, the more copper the better as copper sacrifices itself during the process to bond with and neutralize the sulfides.
I prefer the stainless for ease of maintenance and run copper wool or mesh in the thumper and that does an even better job.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

1st run had some breathing problems, I had to run it hotter then I like, and I had to pre heat the thumper to get it running.
But it runs better now without any rocking and is a lot neater to work around.
But it should make some awesome burbobn shine, the test run had 2 positives and one provlem using cask wine, while the strength was perfect at 120 proof, the smoothness was incredible it unfortunately tasted exactly like cask chardonnay. :doh:

It was that smooth it was like sipping chateau cardboard with a shot of pure ethanol added, but no lingering burn so you got the whole "fine wine taste

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/a2AAwrbBNw4[/BBvideo]
20180909_183006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I worked out a few teaching problems from last night and I have my sill working like a well oils machine.

This was the last run until my mash is ready.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/muR_dupAh-A[/BBvideo]
20180910_223340.jpg

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”