Beef jerky. NO MSG, NO JUNK.

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

custombolt

Beef jerky. NO MSG, NO JUNK.

Post by custombolt »

Made a new batch on Sunday. Finally nailed it when I realized that the key is, plenty of marinade.
So, I started out with 3 pounds of eye of round and trimmed most of that fat away and sliced it to about 1/4" thick.
For the brine: Find a bowl that is just wide enough to fit a heavy dinner plate over it all to keep it all submerged.

Pour in 3/4 of a small bottle (10-12 ounce?) of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce and a full, similar-sized bottle of Kikkoman Soy sauce. To spice it up, a tablespoon of granulated garlic, a small handful of dried onion flakes, some onion powder, and several shakes of Valentina hot sauce. By the way, if you've never tried Valentina, might want to. It has more pepper flavor and less vinegar and no chemical aftertaste compared to the others I tried.

Mix everything well with a whisk and taste it for balance. If it's a little heavy on the soy flavor, add more L&P. You could add a tablespoon or so of brown sugar if you like. But, I chose not to add any to the brine. Instead, I like it sprinkled over the meat (see below).
Next, add the meat and slosh it around to make certain all meat is wet. Weigh it down with your plate and let it soak for 1.5 to 2 hours.
After you lay the pieces on the dryer tray, sprinkle them with a little brown sugar or turbinado sugar and coarse ground black pepper.
Dehydrate as usual. I think it beats the store bought commercial stuff by a mile. More flavor, clean finish, no lingering chemical aftertaste.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Re: Beef jerky. NO MSG, NO JUNK.

Post by sav338 »

Thank for that I will try that mix next weekend.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing you recipe!
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Made it similar to that with venison, I also use the oven to dry it, that saves on having to have a separate dehydrator and does just as good a job.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Good recipe thank you. I think I would take leave out some of the hotter ingredients with Sambar.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Sounds like a really nice recipe. Have you tried to cryovac it for 24hr in the fridge, then pat dry it before you put it in the Dehydrator.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

custombolt

Post by custombolt »

No. I haven't. Thin meat soaks up the brine quickly. I leave the meat wet.
Wish I had some venison to turn into jerky. This choice angus eye of round that I used is very lean and tastes very beefy. More beefy than any sirloin I've used in the past.
The hot sauce does not add any heat because I don't overdo it. Sure makes it taste better and you wouldn't know it's in there.

custombolt

Post by custombolt »

Just made another batch yesterday using 4 pounds of fresh top round angus beef this time. Used a 2 to 1 ratio L&P to soy and the soy was low sodium. Even better than the last batch.

boltfed

Post by boltfed »

Thanks for this. As an aside, I too hate fakey, chemical aftertastes...but I have to admit I do love MSG. I put it or Aromat seasoning on everything. Just makes stuff taste better to me.

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”