Best way to cook a steak?

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

Corjack
Administrator

Best way to cook a steak?

Post by Corjack »

How do you guys prefer to prepare a nice steak?
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

thechamp
Administrator

Re: Best way to cook a steak?

Post by thechamp »

Clean off the saw crumbs. Season with a locally made Fajita seasoning mix and grill it over mesquite. Cook till your degree of being cooked is achieved.

7mm

Post by 7mm »

Medium rare mmmmmm :dance:
Those who don't have Blaser R93 do have Blaser NV
http://www.youtube.com/user/ccc0mb0IIIIIIbReakeR

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Simple, rub on some salt, maybe a touch of fresh pepper, and BBQ rare with plenty of blood but not raw..... the side dishes can be pretty much whatever comes to hand. A nice spicy chutney is good on the side. The wife makes one that I really like but I dunno what's in it.. :think:

If the meat is good it doesn't need to be doused in bbq sauce of some kind or flavoured in any other way :snooty: but I concede a bit of flavour from the wood smoke can go down a treat...
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Sea salt, cracked pepper, a red hot plate, drop in a little garlic butter and cook for 30sec or so a side :dance:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Corjack wrote:How do you guys prefer to prepare a nice steak?
I found this of another forum so I tried it and it works.

I rub the steak with salt and leave at room temperature one hour for every inch of steak. Wash it off, pat it down, brush with olive oil. Rub in seasoning leave for another 1/2 hour then put on a very hot grill, 1.5 minutes each side, turn down, leave for another 4 minutes and take out, leave for another couple of minutes and it should be medium.

I used this seasoning minus 2/3 salt and all of the cayenne pepper.
http://kierasrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -tbsp.html

if anyone has the seasoning mix for the texas roadhouse steaks can they post a link here :pray:

UPEgger

Post by UPEgger »

With a Big Green Egg(or any Kamado style cooker) you are error safe. Run the temp up to 800F+. Have the steak/s at room temp. Desired thickness is at least 3/4" thick up to about 1 1/8". Any thicker and I use a roast recipe. Rub with olive oil, sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. Throw the steak on, with the lid open, and sear for about l.5min on each side. Take the steak off the grill. Close the lid and close the vents to get the Egg temp down to 350. This takes about 10 minutes. Stabilize the temp at 350F, place the steak on the grill and cook to your desired doneness, with the lid closed. Normally less than 5 minutes. Remove and eat. Works EVERY time....Idiot Proof......As long as I use my cable meat temp probe.

Last year I picked up a Sous Vide cooking unit. I vacuum seal the bag with the steak and seasonings in it. About 28" vacuum is fine. Throw the bag in the water bath for, and there is a time window, two hours to five hours. I cook to the exact temp I want the meat to be. 125, 130, etc. 140F Max. I remove the bag from the water bath, remove the steak from the bag and pat dry. I then rub with olive oil, salt lightly and throw on the Egg to sear both sides at 800F+. This is an even more perfect method for those that want an EXACT amount of doneness. Fork tender. Carl L.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Hi Carl,
I find your comments interesting on the big green egg. I have a high end outdoor kitchen that is about 10 years old so I'm considering replacing it as the rebuild as is costs about $12,000. I was looking at the big green egg and considering it as a replacement for my high end grill, what do you think of it, and how long have you had it in operation?
Bob
Robert J Stokes

Cooperfan

Post by Cooperfan »

Friend of mine has a top end Traeger grill. These are a wood pellet grill that you plug in if you have never heard of them. It was the best tasting BBQ I've ever had.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

Cooperfan wrote:Friend of mine has a top end Traeger grill. These are a wood pellet grill that you plug in if you have never heard of them. It was the best tasting BBQ I've ever had.

Don't recall the brand name but a local privately owned hardware store has some wood pellet grills of varying sizes that they sell. The owner occasionally will go out and cook some samples for the customers. Have to agree that the meat is great and they really do work. When I first saw one I thought it was some sort of gimmick. Well they're definitely not a gimmick and so easy to use. Really an amazing cooking device.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I looked into the Tragger grills and there is a Tragger store near me, so I'll stop by and take a look in person.
Thanks for the info.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

dinsdale
Meister der jagd

Post by dinsdale »

UPEgger wrote: Last year I picked up a Sous Vide cooking unit. I vacuum seal the bag with the steak and seasonings in it. About 28" vacuum is fine. Throw the bag in the water bath for, and there is a time window, two hours to five hours. I cook to the exact temp I want the meat to be. 125, 130, etc. 140F Max. I remove the bag from the water bath, remove the steak from the bag and pat dry. I then rub with olive oil, salt lightly and throw on the Egg to sear both sides at 800F+. This is an even more perfect method for those that want an EXACT amount of doneness. Fork tender. Carl L.
I've only seen that style cooking on TV but have never tried it, does look interesting.

I'm more like a few oak boards in a old 8N tractor rim with a grill top. Throw some foil wrapped taters in there for a spell......some Montreal seasoning on the meat, I'm good to go.

UPEgger

Post by UPEgger »

Bob; I have been a Big Green Egg owner for a little over 5 years. I have two Large and one Mini. I carry the Mini around when we are camping and it is used. One Large is in the U.P. and one is in El Centro, CA(winter home) I am sold on the cooking method/s. I can go as low as 100F, for smoking cheese, or as high as 900F with the Large Eggs. I can only get the Mini to 800F. Good enough for most everything. The Eggs use hardwood for fuel. It is marketed as Lump Charcoal by all suppliers. Regular charcoal or charcoal starter will RUIN the egg. It is porous on the inside and will literally inhale petrochemical products.

My longest cooks are with Pork Shoulder(making pulled pork) and Brisket. Cook temp is 215F and goes for 30+ hours. Meat temp when pulled is 195F to 205F. Brisket is separated, the point and the flat. The flat is thin sliced and eaten. The point is chopped and frozen for later use. One load of lump charcoal in the Large Egg at the 215/225 range will last for over 38hours.

Because the longer cook times interferred with my sleep time I purchased the BBQGuru Pro Com 4. It is designed for the Big Green Egg. It is an attachment to the fresh air inlet(at the bottom of the egg). It is essentially a temp controlled fan and will maintain ANY temperature that you desire. That IS neat(read that: confidence building).

I also do most of my dutch oven cooking nowadays by placing the pot in the Large Green Egg and setting the temp for ???? and away I go. I use an item called a "plate setter" which is essentially a ceramic tray which the DOs sit on, in the LGE.

For just the Wife and I the Mini gets the nod for most cooks. Any more mouths than that I use the Large BGE.

I truly believe this "system" is idiot proof. Some of the Egg owners are running two and three of them for their own use; at one location. I found them expensive, initially, but worth it.

When I do our family campouts(18+ adults), twice a year, I take the Large Egg apart and carry it to the camp area. Reassemble and start cooking. Takes about 30/45 minutes, at both ends. I set the "nest" on a 4x4 ft piece of 3/4" plywood and..... The largest birds I have done are 20 to 22# turkeys. Turn out perfect. Smallest is 2 brats.

Carl L.

thechamp
Administrator

Post by thechamp »

The Traeger grill was piking my curiosity. Went to the local hardware store's website and the one they have is the Traeger. Last thing I need around here is something to make food taste better... :? Have to add that it appeared from the demos that they get the job done fairly quick as well. Amazing as well was how fast they get to the cooking temperature. Maybe I'll reconsider one when my old one wears out.

http://www.traegergrills.com/

Heard of the Egg units but never seen one in operation even. UPEgger does make it sound like a fool proof cooker as well. Still thinking of that 900 degrees. That's getting with it.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

medium with a nice mushroom sauce
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”