Best way to cook a steak?

This is the place to discuss your cooking,eating, drinking, recipes and pose questions, for answers on an international scale.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Oscar

UPEgger

Re: Best way to cook a steak?

Post by UPEgger »

There are at least two web sites covering Kamado style cooking. The Original Big Green Egg. c and also the Big Green Egg.c site. I prefer the Original one. Looking at that site will explain things a lot better and quicker than I could about the BGE. My son in law & daughter have a top of the line Traeger. The biggest difference, that I have seen, is getting the higher temps for searing meats, or blackened fish. Plus the Large BGE has more room than the Traeger. I watched a buy on the BGE site do an entire pig. Just curled it up and stuffed it in the egg. Looked like the pigs nose was stuck up its butt. Kinda strange looking. But it got the job done. Carl L.

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Re: Best way to cook a steak?

Post by dchamp »

When we cook steak it is normally a New York Strip. I will pull the steak out of the Refrigerator roughly an hour before cooking, trim the outer layer of fat off and let it come up to room temperature. I generally season it with only Kosher salt, pepper and a small amount of olive oil. Sometimes I will make a wet rub of salt, pepper, minced garlic, oregano and olive oil :handgestures-thumbupleft:.

The grill I have is an ordinary Weber gas grill. I like to bring the temperature up to 500-550f or 260- 285C. I will then grill the steak(s) anywhere from 3-5minutes per side depending on the steaks thickness and amount of wellness desired.

I have recently acquired a OONI Pizza Oven with a small cast iron skillet. I have only cooked one steak in it so far but with a temperature of around 750f and a preheated skillet cooking time is about one minute per side. It had a very nice sear was tender and about medium.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

Return to “BlaserBuds Food And Drink”