New hunting buddy

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Re: New hunting buddy

Post by deerhunter338mag »

TheoR8 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:49 am
deerhunter338mag wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:36 am
sav338 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:56 am Yep, very nice pup, coming on great.
They grow so fast and these lock downs are not helping .
Have work worked out how to get him used to centre fire shots ?
Does anyone here know how to train a pup to get used to rifle with brakes on them ?
Put ear muffs on them. 🤦🏼‍♂️😂 Their ears are better than ours so magnify the pain. Most guy's I know that hunt with dogs make their dogs sit behind them and have changed their brakes to full ported muzzle brake or have taken them off.
How do you put earmuffs on a dog?? :animals-dog: :handgestures-thumbup:
🤦🏼‍♂️😂✈️✈️✈️ :handgestures-thumbup:
182BC1E5-D6F4-4DA8-AA13-E7DADC8044BE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :handgestures-thumbup:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

sav338 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:56 am Does anyone here know how to train a pup to get used to rifle with brakes on them ?
Everything that I have read says that brakes deafen dogs even quicker than they deafen humans.

I wouldn't even try to get a companion dog used to braked gunfire. Dog would need to be so far behind the gun that it would simply be impracticable.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Looks like the pup is coming along nicely. Being rural probably makes it a bit easier to train him, but still not as good as being able to go bush.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

sav338 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:56 am Yep, very nice pup, coming on great.
They grow so fast and these lock downs are not helping .
Have work worked out how to get him used to centre fire shots ?
Does anyone here know how to train a pup to get used to rifle with brakes on them ?
Yeah, its a pain. I had just started to condition our pup to gun shots the one weekend we were allowed out between lock down 5 & 6 this year. Our girl is 13 months old now, and all the training / days in the bush we had planned last year and this year have been completely buggerd up by lock downs. Its either been too hot to take her bush, or we have not been allowed out due to locked down. Just one more frustrating thing to deal with at the moment :violin: :violin: :violin:

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

Yeah being rural and NSW having outdoor recreation in your lga as an acceptable reason to be out means I’m not affected to much.

A couple of pieces of 2x4 slapped together can make a pretty loud clap and I often take these on walk also to give him more exposure.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Monty3006 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:02 pm Yeah being rural and NSW having outdoor recreation in your lga as an acceptable reason to be out means I’m not affected to much.

A couple of pieces of 2x4 slapped together can make a pretty loud clap and I often take these on walk also to give him more exposure.
My old English pointer, I would take him to the local clay target range and park up the back as a pup and slowly move forward over time to be right next to the shots. Because I was well known there I could walk behind the guys shooting skeet and over time the dog would start to watch the sky and the clays moving. In the end on practice day the dog would walk with me and sit next to me why I did a round of skeet. This type of thing would not be allowed now but sure did help with the dogs training. I also would played a tape at dinner time of recorded gun shots from the clay range. Not as good but everything helps with young dogs. :handgestures-thumbup:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I always took my dogs to shoot 5 stand, got them used to gunshots, kept me in practice at the sane time.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:05 pm
Monty3006 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:02 pm Yeah being rural and NSW having outdoor recreation in your lga as an acceptable reason to be out means I’m not affected to much.

My old English pointer, I would take him to the local clay target range and park up the back as a pup and slowly move forward over time to be right next to the shots. Because I was well known there I could walk behind the guys shooting skeet and over time the dog would start to watch the sky and the clays moving. In the end on practice day the dog would walk with me and sit next to me why I did a round of skeet. This type of thing would not be allowed now but sure did help with the dogs training. I also would played a tape at dinner time of recorded gun shots from the clay range. Not as good but everything helps with young dogs. :handgestures-thumbup:
At the sporting clays course that I run in Mesa Arizona, which is owned by the Arizona Game and Fish Department welcomes dogs for training.
Robert J Stokes

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

Digger turned one recently and his training has been going well so he’s come hunting on my last few outings. He has been working well and gets better each trip. He’s a very compliant dog and training him has been enjoyable.

Today we managed to get our first deer. I spotted them from a couple of hundred metres away before sneaking in to around 80m. Due to the wind Digger wasn’t aware of them until I shot and the second young buck ran off. He stayed steady throughout though and it’ll be a great learning experience for him.

The buck was in great condition with about 4 cm of fat on its back. His antlers were fully hard with a couple of tips coming through the velvet. He was shot with my R8 .223 using sierra 77gr TMKs and he dropped to the shot with a front chest shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

He does look fat! You guys are getting a good season.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

When my young GWP was a pup I took him up to the field near the house where I practice with sporting clays. My approach is to expose them young in a familiar environment. Figured I would leave him in the cage in the truck where he would feel safe. After I had shot a couple of boxes of 20ga ammo I realized he had fallen asleep watching me...
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Kflattmann
Meister der jagd

Post by Kflattmann »

My sons new hunting buddy.
Thelma Lou!
Vizsla
She’s sharp!
4D5554EA-02F4-457C-BFBB-B6A9E7DE837F.jpeg

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Those ears look deadly with the sun behind her, I love a floppy ear dog.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

Nice looking pup and great photo. Lots of fun ahead for your son.

Return to “BlaserBuds Dog Diskussions”