New hunting buddy

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

Rifletuner

Re: New hunting buddy

Post by Rifletuner »

Monty3006 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:56 am Digger turned one recently and his training has been going well so he’s come hunting on my last few outings. He has been working well and gets better each trip. He’s a very compliant dog and training him has been enjoyable.

Today we managed to get our first deer. I spotted them from a couple of hundred metres away before sneaking in to around 80m. Due to the wind Digger wasn’t aware of them until I shot and the second young buck ran off. He stayed steady throughout though and it’ll be a great learning experience for him.

The buck was in great condition with about 4 cm of fat on its back. His antlers were fully hard with a couple of tips coming through the velvet. He was shot with my R8 .223 using sierra 77gr TMKs and he dropped to the shot with a front chest shot.
Great work. Shooting a deer with your dog should really help them cement what its all about. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

Rifletuner wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:26 pm
Great work. Shooting a deer with your dog should really help them cement what its all about. :clap: :clap: :clap:
[/quote]

Thank you. One of the things I enjoy about having a hunting dog is that extra motivation to get out for a hunt/walk/just outside for a bit of training. I’ll be trying to get as many deer on the ground in front of him this year to try and cement the process for him. Luckily I have a plenty of friends who enjoy venison and often return the favour with home grown veggies or wine.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Monty3006 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:04 pm
Thank you. One of the things I enjoy about having a hunting dog is that extra motivation to get out for a hunt/walk/just outside for a bit of training. I’ll be trying to get as many deer on the ground in front of him this year to try and cement the process for him. Luckily I have a plenty of friends who enjoy venison and often return the favour with home grown veggies or wine.
Sounds like a plan :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

At just over 18 months things are going well with Digger. I’ve shot about 10 deer, and few pigs and goats with him now and he is really starting to understand what it’s all about. Just as importantly he has become a great pet on the home front, putting up with a lot of attention from the kids.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

That's a beautiful vizsla! I still haven't taken mine out hunting yet. She's constantly on the prowl in the yard after rabbits....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Nice going. Thanks for the update :handgestures-thumbup:

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

Man’s best friend.

Gamsjagd
Meister der jagd

Post by Gamsjagd »

I don't think a Karelian wouldn't be a good crate dog.

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

I managed to get one last trip to Victoria before it gets too hot and the snakes make it risky for the dog. Had a great time with Digger working well and ended up with a nice meat animal and my best stag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Definitely a good hunting buddy there, it's always more enjoyable hunting with a dog for some reason.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

That is awesome, great looking dog.
Congratulations.
The best hunting partner you can have.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Great stuff. Well done.