New deer dog

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

SPEEDY

New deer dog

Post by SPEEDY »

I just arranged today to pick up a new pup next month, a little Fox terrier bitch.
I wanted a small dog to use on deer that would compliment my Whippet at home and be a keen and enthusiastic little hunter.
My choices were small I had to decide between a Jagdterrier, JRT and the Fox terrier and dog that fits me the best was the little Fox terrier.

I'm looking forward to picking her up, I even got the all important ok from the missus. ;)
She's the runt of the litter and I've always found the runts to be the pick of the litter for some reason.
ad_1531898849714.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Olsen

Re: New deer dog

Post by Olsen »

Cute one, you be happy with her :)
Olsen

Blaser R8 Proff Succes .308 win - 9,3x62

2 shots in the same hole is often luck......3 in the same hole is using Olsens shooting stick....

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Foxies are great little dogs, I knew a guy that used his to retrieve ducks.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I have owned 2 fox terriers over the years. Great little dogs. The Brisbane city council used to use them as rat dogs many years ago. Very enthusiastic and keen nose.
Enjoy mate.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Should be fun. I hunt with one every week. And got plenty of videos of him working.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

They are a gutsy dog, that don't understand they are small. I had one when I was a teen . She would take on a fox , go down a fox hole (which I hated her doing).
I read a hunting book a while ago, where two hunters were hunting with guns for pigs and a foxy. The jack runs off over a dam wall and all the hunters would hear is the dog bark then a squeal . When the ran onto the wall what did they see . the jack bailed up a boar barking at it and every time the boar got up he would scramble around biting the boar on the nads that was the squeal then it sat down again.
Im sure you will enjoy her.
:dance: :animals-dogrun:
Last edited by sav338 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'd have gotten a pointer, but they are to big for my yard and to big for my whippet. I also looked at spaniels but while they might have done the job and not been too big they are however to hard to find especially from hunting parents.
Both this dogs parents are working fox dogs so that a big bonus, being one of the easiest dogs to train might have made them the #1 circus dog but it should mean that I can train her to sit when she sees something and to follow a trail only so far ahead of me.
But the important thing will be to take her hunting twice a week and get her used to gunshots.
I will probably shhot some targets before I come home giving her a treat after each shot.
I want her keen for gunshots.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

They sure do give a new meaning too small mans syndrome that’s for sure. I call them piranhas as there that quick and before you know it 20 puncher wounds :lol: :lol:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I wouldn't mind flushing a few fox burrow too, I haven't done that since I was a kid with the mini Fox's.

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

My Mother said that most everything is cute when it's a baby. Your new pup certainly qualifys.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I had a few to choose from, I think the others are better looking, but like with me looks aren't everything. :lol:
I went with the runt irrespective of looks because female runts in particular have the qualities I'm looking for.

This was my other options.
ad_1531898120128.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

SPEEDY wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:32 pm I had a few to choose from, I think the others are better looking, but like with me looks aren't everything. :lol:
I went with the runt irrespective of looks because female runts in particular have the qualities I'm looking for.

This was my other options.

ad_1531898120128.jpg
Have her vet checked prior to taking her home, to make sure there are no long term health issues. Her eyes look a lot smaller compared to the rest of the litter ? could have eye issue .

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I'm not worried, the others have black around their eyes, she's all white in the face and the runt, I'd guess it's just a visual illusion.
ad_1531898082461.jpg
I will soon know if she has any problems seeing, but they do look smaller.

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

SPEEDY wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:56 pm I'm not worried, the others have black around their eyes, she's all white in the face and the runt, I'd guess it's just a visual illusion.ad_1531898082461.jpg.
I will soon know if she has any problems seeing, but they do look smaller.
Its not seeing issue
im referring to turned eyelids that have a tendency getting irritated and infected . be it from the eye lashes or dirt.
It could be an illusion from the photo.

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

sav338 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:45 am Its not seeing issue
im referring to turned eyelids that have a tendency getting irritated and infected . be it from the eye lashes or dirt.
It could be an illusion from the photo.
You should be a Vet mate. :animals-chickencatch: :handgestures-thumbup:

Return to “BlaserBuds Dog Diskussions”