Vizsla

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

Yarrenby

Re: Vizsla

Post by Yarrenby »

True to a point deerhunter. I agree, work and time actually hunting is everything. But if you put x number of hours into training a dog for what it was bred for, odds are you will get a better result than with a different breed that was not developed for that role, with similar training.
If you do someone a favour, forget it.
If somone does you a favour, never forget it.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

Yarrenby wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:52 pm True to a point deerhunter. I agree, work and time actually hunting is everything. But if you put x number of hours into training a dog for what it was bred for, odds are you will get a better result than with a different breed that was not developed for that role, with similar training.
The late great “The Legend “ Hank Cotchin would be one of the best dog trainers I’ve ever seen. In his later years why still hunting he was know for is 2 Alaskan malamutes. The male Fan would only hunt Stags and would turn his nose up at hinds and small deer. But before that, he trained various breeds from gun dogs to cattle dogs with great success. Be with out a doubt the best dog he had was a Dingo. He explained to me one time that the dog didn’t bark so he had to learn the dogs body language. He also said the Dingo could read him as well, and would detect when it was time to go home and would run off. To combat this he would try not to think about it and in a round about way make his way back to the car.
CCDAA7E6-4D66-42C7-87DD-C071231B4FF0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

He was an exceptional freak of a man and such a gentleman. I only met him a couple times in his later years. He made such an impression RIP Hank

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Thats interesting DH. My dogs don't bark or voice unless its visual so that means its close. Which means o occasions they've walked right up to sambar or foxes.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

mchughcb wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:17 pm Thats interesting DH. My dogs don't bark or voice unless its visual so that means its close. Which means o occasions they've walked right up to sambar or foxes.
That’s what you want Chuck, Very hard to train dogs to stay under control at the critical time of the hunt.
Dingo’s don’t bark at all. They just howe to call lost dogs in. So to get to a point at reading a dogs body language to this extremely is amazing. I’ve seen a lot of animal behaviourist that really enjoy taking people’s money, and not really having a clue other than the basic pack behaviour. Hank took it to a new level. He was a genius at training dogs for hunting.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I wish I had the camera on when the little black one has found a bedded up deer or fox and its jumped out of its bed and I've blasted it. The brown one doesn't make any noise normally unless its got something bailed. But sometimes things can happen so quick I don't have time to turn on camera, swing and shoot :cry:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Yarrenby wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:52 pm True to a point deerhunter. I agree, work and time actually hunting is everything. But if you put x number of hours into training a dog for what it was bred for, odds are you will get a better result than with a different breed that was not developed for that role, with similar training.
Agree. Every mutt on earth has a bit of wolf in it somewhere, but that doesn't mean that they are all equally easy to train for any particular task or that they can all provide equal outcomes.

Return to “BlaserBuds Dog Diskussions”