How does your dog breed rank in smartness?

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

How does your dog breed rank in smartness?

Post by Joe338ST »

Looking through the web today out of interest to see which dogs are the easiest to train....

Apparantly there is a ranking of what breed is clever and what breeds are stupid....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Int ... ce_of_Dogs

Interesting read for those that are interested.
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

JPBlaser

Re: How does your dog breed rank in smartness?

Post by JPBlaser »

I can agree to that... My pointer is already 5 years old and has yet to learn how to open a door...Not the sharpest tool in the shed,but he makes it all up with style... :D
My previous drathaars learnt this until they got 1 year old...But their style is blah... fugly....
Jordan

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Well the little fox terrier beat the Dachshund by a commanding lead :dance:
But it's a shame it's a load of crap, it's based on teaching tricks to show dogs, so its got no real world reliance.
A Dalmatian cones ahead of both breeds and they are the dumbest dogs around, I'm surprised they can breed on Their own their that dumb.
And the whippet came in twice as low as the fox terrier and I know my whippet is far smarter then my terrier.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

shoots100

Post by shoots100 »

At six months, My brothers Australian Shepard would open the front door and be waiting for my brother on the porch !
Had to change the door lock because of that freaking dog !
I can see why it's got the #1 spot.

SJC

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

shoots100 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:57 am At six months, My brothers Australian Shepard would open the front door and be waiting for my brother on the porch !

SJC
It's definitely a confusing breed seeing as it's number 42 and number 69. :think:

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

The smartest dog I ever saw was a beagle who wouldn't bark when chasing rabbits over posted land.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Australian Shepherds aren't even Australian dog

dchamp
Meister der jagd

Post by dchamp »

I have an Airedale, she opens the door which wouldn't bother me if would just close it behind herself. She responds to commands very well when there is food involved and if she sees the door open in the truck and you tell her "in the truck" otherwise she's off sniffing flowers or beating the bushes looking for kitty cats.

We have a Belgian Tervuren also. He is probably the smartest dog I have ever come across but he is also the most neurotic dog I've seen, very needy. He's always anticipating, wanting to please and demanding attention. If you ever wanted a dog to continually pet he's the breed for you.
I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo

The fact that Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having brains, gives hope to many people. sun-gazing.com

shoots100

Post by shoots100 »

SPEEDY wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:43 am
shoots100 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:57 am At six months, My brothers Australian Shepard would open the front door and be waiting for my brother on the porch !

SJC
It's definitely a confusing breed seeing as it's number 42 and number 69. :think:
Crap, I meant border collie, he just rescued an Australian shepard.
Maybe I should hang around the border collie more often !

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Yeah i have a Hungarian Viszla. She is quite easy to train. Just give her a reward and she is super attentive and will learn new tasks.. Always looking for food. Loves a pat and always greets everyone when they come home. Barks at strangers but licks them to death when she realises they are OK. Made from Velcro. Never chewed shoes or clothes but scratched the crap out of doors and door frames trying to get back into the house when we are not home - about the dumbest things she does. Then she hunts and ponts at rabbits all day on my property....she used to jump fences and wander looking for us untill I bought an electric collar that put a stop to that.... she is very good at obeying commands....

The smartest dog I ever had was my late male Doberman. Extremely obedient, good with the kids and never left the property even if we left the gate open. Always would sit waiting for us near the front gate. Was easy to train and would have been a good companion hunting dog apart from the fact laws prohibit the use of a non- hunting breed on public land.

Dumbest dog by far that we had was my wife's late samoyed. Now that was dumb, disobedient or stubborn.

One of my neighbours have an Akita - stupid as f@#& and attacks and mutilates other dogs in the street when she used to wander. When she wandered, it dragged another neighbour's dog through a wire fence and almost killed it apart from the fact other neighbours intervened. Vet bill was hefty. Then did it to another neighbours dog. Killed all the lambs its owners had and they blamed a fox..those neighbours are as dunmb as their dogs.Their shih tzu is also down right stupid...like their owners....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

shoots100 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:52 pm
SPEEDY wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:43 am

SJC
Crap, I meant border collie, he just rescued an Australian shepard.
Maybe I should hang around the border collie more often !
I still find it funny that the fake Aussie gets a mention twice. :lol:

Return to “BlaserBuds Dog Diskussions”