Excuse me. Just venting...

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

Vaughan

Re: Excuse me. Just venting...

Post by Vaughan »

caps wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:41 am
Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:37 pm Anyone able to comment on the incident in 2018 with a child getting killed in the Vic high country by the families GWP?

Yep, that media article is incorrect the dog was a cross breed between a GWP/bulldog (of sorts) and used for pulling down pigs. The tragedy happened in the kitchen when a food bowl was out and toddler was on the floor. RIP little one.
Bloody hell, that a nightmare. Stupid to mix dogs, food and small children but easy to do.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

caps wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:41 am
Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:37 pm Anyone able to comment on the incident in 2018 with a child getting killed in the Vic high country by the families GWP?

Yep, that media article is incorrect the dog was a cross breed between a GWP/bulldog (of sorts) and used for pulling down pigs. The tragedy happened in the kitchen when a food bowl was out and toddler was on the floor. RIP little one.
Yes people just don't seem to understand that dogs are a pack animal and this is very much and all to common event. The other silly one is letting the dog sleep with them. Just crazy. :doh:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

What's wrong with ya pup keeping your feet warm at night, the only time my pup doesn't sleep in the bed is the wife is home. :dance:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

SPEEDY wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 am What's wrong with ya pup keeping your feet warm at night, the only time my pup doesn't sleep in the bed is the wife is home. :dance:
Just dont send us the photos :doh:

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

SPEEDY wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 am What's wrong with ya pup keeping your feet warm at night, the only time my pup doesn't sleep in the bed is the wife is home. :dance:
You teaching the dog not to like the wife - me thinks!
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Joe338ST wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:40 am
You teaching the dog not to like the wife - me thinks!
im think he is out of Honey :animals-dogrun: :lol: :lol: :handgestures-thumbup:

caps

Post by caps »

I'm onto my third GWP, two have come from registered breeders, one was from a back yard breeder and I would never trust either one to be left alone with kids as all of them have been overly protective of me. All have been trained to the best of my ability and the satisfaction you get back is unbelievable they really are a dog that thinks you can see it in their manner they approach the task at hand, believe me I have learnt a few things too along the way from this breed. Each had different character if I was to treat my first GWP with a stern command it would shy away from fear, this one that I have now at seven months if I was to go softly softly approach it would just sit down and watch you with a tilted head and I swear he is laughing at me by the looks of his squinted eyes. And yes they have to know their place in the pack.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

caps wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:21 am I'm onto my third GWP, two have come from registered breeders, one was from a back yard breeder and I would never trust either one to be left alone with kids as all of them have been overly protective of me. All have been trained to the best of my ability and the satisfaction you get back is unbelievable they really are a dog that thinks you can see it in their manner they approach the task at hand, believe me I have learnt a few things too along the way from this breed. Each had different character if I was to treat my first GWP with a stern command it would shy away from fear, this one that I have now at seven months if I was to go softly softly approach it would just sit down and watch you with a tilted head and I swear he is laughing at me by the looks of his squinted eyes. And yes they have to know their place in the pack.
They do, males particularly, have a strong tendency to be jealous of their boss and you need to watch that if the pack (family) dynamic changes suddenly. I've never worried about mine being around children but they have always been supervised by either me or my wife. BUT, I would take the same approach with any hunting dog of this kind or cattle dog, I don't see that as a GWP thing.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Rifletuner wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:13 pm
Vaughan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:37 am The first GWP we had was the smartest dog I've ever encountered. Never knew dogs could reason at least 3 steps ahead. She could track on scent in the air as well as on the ground and would point "up" for birds in trees as well as ahead for birds on the ground. Took me ages to figure out that she could do that. Damn she used to get angry with me...She taught me how to hunt birds. She loved me but she thought I was retarded, and really not worth hunting with...... It took me maybe 6 months to win her over, before she felt I had what it took to be HER pack leader. I miss her a lot. Folks like to sneer at dogs and call them dish-lickers. Such people have never earned the respect of a wirehair.

I shook hands on a new pup yesterday, likely my last. Should take me through to 3 decades of living with wirehairs. Young Ubbe will come home in 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to it but it is also a bit sad as it reminds me that we had to have Digger destroyed on Xmas morning and the old fella, Mirri, is getting a bit wobbly too. It is the way it goes but it is a bit rough sometimes.
Thanks. Makes me want a GWP. Though as stated, getting a good one is a bit of a lottery here.
Have you considered a English pointer. They seem be be the rage atm. And I have never Heard one attacking and eating their owner or family :lol: :lol:

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Yes, the English pointers have really built up a following on sambar which I think is mostly due to the promotion of the breed by Daniel Grixti over the last 5 or so years. The pointers seem to have had a smaller following in the past, but Daniel has really put them on the map. They seem like a very good breed for indicating dogs, and probably the use of GPS collars makes them viable because they range out so far you might never see one or know its on point without the use of the collar.

Some people dont like the fact that the Pointers range out so far, though I have seen good working GSPs do the same thing. I have heard some people say the Pointers are very good on live game, but tend not to be good at following up shot animals. I wonder if thats because they are mainly air scenters, whereas GSPs and GWPs will work both air and ground scent?

Pointers seem to have a pretty good temperament and dont seem to have as high of a drive as the German pointers, but I'm not sure since they certainly cover a lot of ground when thy are working.

There are two most significant factors for me regarding breed selection are. The dog needs to indicate live deer & trail shot deer. And it needs to fit into the home during the week without destroying it. I realise I will need to put a lot of time into any working breed, but I still need something that is predisposed to fit into the household.

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

I have an 8 year old English Pointer that comes from some very good Sambar hunting lines. He has a beautiful nature around the house. He is certainly a wide ranging dog and has a very strong desire to cover ground. I think this trait is fine for working sambar that will hold their ground to a dog. As my local hunting is more open country for fallow and reds I’ve worked hard on slowing him down and keeping him in closer then he would naturally range.
He is the first dog I’ve trained for indicating work and I certainly made some mistakes but he’s now pretty good in the field.

Every animal I’ve shot with him he has found easily. This includes a few sambar that could have easily been lost. These are obviously very hot scents though so he may not do as well on following up if the shot is a few hours old.

We’ve decided on a vizsla for our next dog but I would gladly get another pointer.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Thanks mate. Thats some good information.

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

Did you end up getting a pup?

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Versus german trained GWP blood tracker.

https://youtu.be/QPJ8GgAOXvw

Return to “BlaserBuds Dog Diskussions”