Excuse me. Just venting...

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

Vaughan

Re: Excuse me. Just venting...

Post by Vaughan »

Just in case you're looking for some inspiration :-) This is young "Ubbe", his registered name translates to "The Poacher Lord" :dance: :dance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

How gorgeous is he. :dance: :dance:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Wow, he is nice.
Just looking at him makes my feel like going for a hunt...
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Monty3006 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:14 pm Did you end up getting a pup?
Sorry, only just saw this now. No, still looking / waiting. I am on the waiting list with a Vizsla breeder recommended to me on this forum. He has told me I should be able to get a dog off him by the end of the year, though my preference is for a bitch. He tells me his wait list for females is so long he is years out.

I contacted another Vizslar breeder and asked about getting on their waiting list, but got the reply "thanks for your enquiry at this I will be planning another litter at the end of the year. I am not currently keeping a waiting list due to the amount of enquiries I have been receiving. Please do contact me again around Sept if you are still looking". Again I am stumped by the answer I got back, as I would think as a breeder they would want to start vetting potential owners NOW, so that come the end of the year when pups are due they will have a waiting list of people they are happy to hand over a pup to when it hits 8 weeks. I just dont understand the logic of essentially saying "lets have a free-for-all in September, first in best dressed". I dont know, maybe its a tactic to see who will preserver until then? The more I talk to breeders, the less happy I get.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Vaughan wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:32 pm Just in case you're looking for some inspiration :-) This is young "Ubbe", his registered name translates to "The Poacher Lord" :dance: :dance:
Looks like he is going to live up to his name. :icon-lol: :icon-lol: :icon-lol:

The GWPs seem like they can be great, though I wonder about the lines we have here, vs what is available over there.

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

[/quote]

Sorry, only just saw this now. No, still looking / waiting. I am on the waiting list with a Vizsla breeder recommended to me on this forum. He has told me I should be able to get a dog off him by the end of the year, though my preference is for a bitch. He tells me his wait list for females is so long he is years out.

I contacted another Vizslar breeder and asked about getting on their waiting list, but got the reply "thanks for your enquiry at this I will be planning another litter at the end of the year. I am not currently keeping a waiting list due to the amount of enquiries I have been receiving. Please do contact me again around Sept if you are still looking". Again I am stumped by the answer I got back, as I would think as a breeder they would want to start vetting potential owners NOW, so that come the end of the year when pups are due they will have a waiting list of people they are happy to hand over a pup to when it hits 8 weeks. I just dont understand the logic of essentially saying "lets have a free-for-all in September, first in best dressed". I dont know, maybe its a tactic to see who will preserver until then? The more I talk to breeders, the less happy I get.
[/quote]

I also have my name down for a pup from Carlo, if that’s who you a referring too. We lost our pointer to cancer earlier this week and the hole that’s left is huge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Yes, Carlo. Hes the only guy I have spoken to so far who is on top of it. Probably helps that hes an active deer hunter.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. Its never easy dealing with that. I lost a dog to cancer 25 or so years ago. Came out of nowhere and she was dead within a couple of months.

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

Yes we’ve known he had cancer for a few months but he remained healthy otherwise and was still able to have his last hunt on Saturday. He then deteriorated very quickly, so I am glad it wasn’t too drawn out.

Carlo has been great to deal with and is also happy to share his knowledge on training dogs.

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Monty3006 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:55 pm Yes we’ve known he had cancer for a few months but he remained healthy otherwise and was still able to have his last hunt on Saturday. He then deteriorated very quickly, so I am glad it wasn’t too drawn out.

Carlo has been great to deal with and is also happy to share his knowledge on training dogs.
Carlo knows of a fellow who lives on the Murray who's bitch recently had 12 males... I'm not sure if any are still available....
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Rifletuner wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:13 pm
Vaughan wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:32 pm Just in case you're looking for some inspiration :-) This is young "Ubbe", his registered name translates to "The Poacher Lord" :dance: :dance:
Looks like he is going to live up to his name. :icon-lol: :icon-lol: :icon-lol:

The GWPs seem like they can be great, though I wonder about the lines we have here, vs what is available over there.
Our northern blood lines are suggested to be a bit softer than the German lines. Don't know if that is true but so the northern breeders have told me. But soft is a relative term, our dogs can be sharp buggers. My old dog stood down a large male brown bear last year, which he felt was to close to my wife. Of course, him confronting the bear made the situation dangerous, where it wasn't before, but he is a dog, he didn't know that. Point being, you could have wilder lines maybe..... But I have never heard of these dogs being a problem with people.

One thing, wirehairs are loyal and devoted pack animals. You and your family become their pack, the hierarchy of that pack needs to be clear, and they need to live with you. You can't leave them in a pen or on the chain and just take them out to exercise or hunt. It will break them. If there is a different tradition in Oz for how these dogs are handled, that could be an issue. I'm being a tedious pedant, sorry, but it is just a thought.

I love them, obviously, I hold on to memories of watching Digger, who died this past Xmas morning, cross back over a deep creek he had crossed by my side so that he could carefully lead my wife, who was having a bit of a moment at the time, over to join me. I also watched him backtrack 300m through deep snow just so he could plow a path for our old bitch who had become exhausted. He led her all the way home and never got too far ahead of her, encouraging her all the way. Special dogs. But if you have reservations, you are right to look elsewhere.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Rifletuner

Post by Rifletuner »

Vaughan wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:26 pm
One thing, wirehairs are loyal and devoted pack animals. You and your family become their pack, the hierarchy of that pack needs to be clear, and they need to live with you. You can't leave them in a pen or on the chain and just take them out to exercise or hunt. It will break them. If there is a different tradition in Oz for how these dogs are handled, that could be an issue. I'm being a tedious pedant, sorry, but it is just a thought.
Thats the only way I want to have a dog. I have a 5YO male dachshund now (actually my son's dog), and he is exactly the same. He is happy as long as he is with the family, And he lights right up if he thinks anyone is trying to fork with us.
Vaughan wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:26 pm
I love them, obviously, I hold on to memories of watching Digger, who died this past Xmas morning, cross back over a deep creek he had crossed by my side so that he could carefully lead my wife, who was having a bit of a moment at the time, over to join me. I also watched him backtrack 300m through deep snow just so he could plow a path for our old bitch who had become exhausted. He led her all the way home and never got too far ahead of her, encouraging her all the way. Special dogs. But if you have reservations, you are right to look elsewhere.
Thats outstanding. Obviously great temperament and a great bond with you, your wife and the rest of the "pack". None of that happens by accident.

Return to “BlaserBuds Dog Diskussions”