New hunting buddy

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

Vaughan

Re: New hunting buddy

Post by Vaughan »

Monty3006 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:32 am I don’t know much about the Karelian Bear Dogs but have seen a couple of videos of them working and they look like real hard case hunter.
Finnish fellow I hunt moose with has a young Karelian bitch. She was working a cow and calf for 30 min or so near me last autumn. She really stuck at it and eventually a young cow came across in front of me and I shot her just before she disappeared, having decided she was a heifer. Very happy dog and dog handler soon followed. Really nice, very stable dog!

We tracked the cow and calf later, they passed through a dip about 150m from me and I never saw them :pray:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

YukonHunter

Post by YukonHunter »

Lol, ya young kids and puppies at the same time. You must have alot of patience. 👍👍

We did the crate training from the beginning and it has been the best decision we made. Allows the dog to relax more easy in new environments b/c "she" 🐕 allways associates the crate as a "safe /happy place where she can relax undisputed".

One of my dog trainers breeds Vizsla's for pheasant hunting (she has 3 of her own). Man do they like to work.

Will Digger be a pet or are you planning on doing some hunting with him?

I'll post some pics of my KBD...

Good Luck Monty3006
Blaser R8, Professional Hunter S (Green), Standard barrel w/ iron sights, non-detachable magazine, 30-06 cal, Saddle mount QR with low rings 1", Leupold Gold Ring VX-3 3.5-10x40mm-1" Tube Boone & Crockett.

"The Journey, is the Reward"

YukonHunter

Post by YukonHunter »

Vaughan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:37 am
Monty3006 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:32 am I don’t know much about the Karelian Bear Dogs but have seen a couple of videos of them working and they look like real hard case hunter.
Finnish fellow I hunt moose with has a young Karelian bitch. She was working a cow and calf for 30 min or so near me last autumn. She really stuck at it and eventually a young cow came across in front of me and I shot her just before she disappeared, having decided she was a heifer. Very happy dog and dog handler soon followed. Really nice, very stable dog!

We tracked the cow and calf later, they passed through a dip about 150m from me and I never saw them :pray:
Ya KBD's are very serious about work. This is our first KBD and coming from owning only Labs "she" is a different animal. 🐾

A Primitive Hunting breed is what they call them. We got her for working on bears and protection.

Sounds like you had a good experience with one and it did its "job" pushing game toward you. There is an instinct in them that is wonderful to see but "controlling" that high drive is alot of work😬. They are built for working the bush.

Cheers,
YH
Blaser R8, Professional Hunter S (Green), Standard barrel w/ iron sights, non-detachable magazine, 30-06 cal, Saddle mount QR with low rings 1", Leupold Gold Ring VX-3 3.5-10x40mm-1" Tube Boone & Crockett.

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

YukonHunter wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:48 am Lol, ya young kids and puppies at the same time. You must have alot of patience. 👍👍

We did the crate training from the beginning and it has been the best decision we made. Allows the dog to relax more easy in new environments b/c "she" 🐕 allways associates the crate as a "safe /happy place where she can relax undisputed".

One of my dog trainers breeds Vizsla's for pheasant hunting (she has 3 of her own). Man do they like to work.

Will Digger be a pet or are you planning on doing some hunting with him?

I'll post some pics of my KBD...

Good Luck Monty3006
Not sure if it’s patience or being a sucker for punishment :lol:

I’m training him to hunt following the Deerdog Blueprint https://biggameindicatingdogs.com/

This is another kiwi but gives a pretty good summary of the end result https://youtu.be/0gqcfOlBVts

YukonHunter

Post by YukonHunter »

Cool I’ll check out your links...Monty👍🏻

YukonHunter

Post by YukonHunter »

Wow, just finished watching both...some good fun there (for both the dog and hunter). I especially like the “soft training techniques”. I will have to share the links with my wife she’ll be very interested.

The Deerdog Blueprint training looks very interesting, thanks for sharing...

YH

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

Bit of an update on Digger. His training is coming along nicely. We’re doing scent training with fresh deer hide and he has picked it up well. He’s also a very easy dog to have around the house. Probably another few more months of training before I take him hunting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

That’s bloody fantastic mate.
Hunting is a fantastic, but hunting with a great gun dog is a whole other level!!
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Monty3006 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:19 am Bit of an update on Digger. His training is coming along nicely. We’re doing scent training with fresh deer hide and he has picked it up well. He’s also a very easy dog to have around the house. Probably another few more months of training before I take him hunting.
Get him in the bush ASAP. Keep him under control and don't ask too much of him. Never too young to show 'em the sights and smells. Gunfire might not be a good idea yet, but you are the best judge of that.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

He's shaping up nicely. 👍
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

Yep, very nice pup, coming on great.
They grow so fast and these lock downs are not helping .
Have work worked out how to get him used to centre fire shots ?
Does anyone here know how to train a pup to get used to rifle with brakes on them ?

canalrifle
Meister der jagd

Post by canalrifle »

I don’t know how to train a dog using a rifle with a brake. I think after a few shots, he will either run away or be deaf.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

sav338 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:56 am Yep, very nice pup, coming on great.
Does anyone here know how to train a pup to get used to rifle with brakes on them ?
Put ear muffs on them. 🤦🏼‍♂️😂 Their ears are better than ours so magnify the pain. Most guy's I know that hunt with dogs make their dogs sit behind them and have changed their brakes to full ported muzzle brake or have taken them off.
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:36 am
sav338 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:56 am Yep, very nice pup, coming on great.
Put ear muffs on them. 🤦🏼‍♂️😂 Their ears are better than ours so magnify the pain. Most guy's I know that hunt with dogs make their dogs sit behind them and have changed their brakes to full ported muzzle brake or have taken them off.
How do you put earmuffs on a dog?? :animals-dog: :handgestures-thumbup:

Monty3006

Post by Monty3006 »

Thanks guys. He’s in the bush regularly and I’ve started gunfire training, working with the .22 and will move up to .223 soon.

Taking it nice and easy with him, but I must admit I’m as keen as mustard to get him hunting.

Return to “BlaserBuds Dog Diskussions”