What are your three favorite breeds

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

JPBlaser

Re: What are your three favorite breeds

Post by JPBlaser »

Thank you.

I have grown up around drathaars and didn`t understand what hunting with a stylish dog was until I got my pointer. Never again am I getting a drathaar. The style of the pointer is out of this world... nothing can come even close to that for me. This dog gave a whole different meaning to the small game hunting I do.
It even got me thinking of getting a couple more pointers,although I need a lab for my waterfowl hunting...

Best regards,
Jordan.
Jordan

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

JPBlaser wrote:Thank you.
Never again am I getting a drathaar.
Best regards,
Jordan.
The wife took this pic of me watching the cricket yeasterday. Never would I consider getting some rat-like pointer......
IMG_15371.jpg
and yes, I'm just teasing, I quite like pointers, just wouldn't want to own one if it meant having to get rid of my GWPs. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Lol that's a how a dog's life should be.

The hell hounds ready for action
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

My staghound "girl" was the best dog I ever had, could track wounded game well enough but was the best chaser I've ever had.
She had the brains to wait, sneek up, and pounce rather then just chase at 1st sight. She worked over ferrets like no dog I've seen, would chase down Goats and even Deer. If she couldn't grab it in range then she would overtake wide and send em back in your direction.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Now my hope lies with these two, the whippet is pretty much a lost cause, will chase rabbits, push them with her nose and then keep running along, scaired of semi loud noises and terrified of gunshots.
The Blue Heeler on the other hand shows promise, got used to gunshots during goose season and field and Game shoots.
He's always on guard, loves chasing down a hunting out lizards, I'm starting to take him out chasing pigs, he's a little quick to track any scents atm but that should pick up once we start getting a few.
The way he fetches, and will retrieve further out then I want to swim. So I'm hoping I can get him retrieving this goose season.
IMAG0551.jpg

Chamois71

Post by Chamois71 »

1. Brittany...where I live in Pennsylvania, some of us nuts that like to run the mountains with fine doubles chasing Ruffed Grouse have found these wonderful mid-size muts to be outstanding field pointers combined with being a great house/family dog.
2. Lab or Golden retriever...for mixed waterfowl/pheasant work and a great pooch for the home. My first ever was a Golden from good hunting stock and what a fine duck retriever she was...she always wanted to please.
3. Beagle...for rabbit and hare in Pennsylvania they are tough to beat.

My 2 cents
Scott
"That if you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on the animal’s terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always recapture the day." —R.Ruark

Chamois71

Post by Chamois71 »

image.jpg
"That if you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on the animal’s terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always recapture the day." —R.Ruark

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

My favorite is the Llewellyn Setter, I've owned three over my life time and they are without doubt the most connected with me, working as a team to bring game to hand. I've owned an English setter that became a national champion on the field trial circuits. Renegade Jack was the smartest and most driven dog I've ever known. But at the end of the day, we both knew I was only there to provide transportation to the game fields and to shoot the bird that was flushed, he needed me not other than those two functions. I've also owned Britneys, GSPs and one Drahtharr. I like them all but would have to chose the GSP as third because of the dual ability of furred and feathered game capabilities.
To me, the wonder of a dog, is how it partners across the human divide to accomplish a goal, that neither the human nor the dog, could accomplish alone.
Last edited by stokesrj on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert J Stokes

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

New hunting dog that doesn't eat much sleeps 90% of the time and fits in your back pack.:lol: :lol:
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Sure that's a dog and not one of them pot belly pigs?

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I can't tell is it a pug or a French bulldog?

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

mchughcb wrote:I can't tell is it a pug or a French bulldog?
It's the cooks pug :lol: :lol:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

What did it run into? :lol:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

deerhunter338mag wrote:

Looks like its happy to be out and about.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

mchughcb wrote:
deerhunter338mag wrote:

Looks like its happy to be out and about.
she was chancing the rabbits around the farm house last Saturday

Return to “BlaserBuds Dog Diskussions”