What are your three favorite breeds

Here is the place to discuss our favorite dogs of all types, and our adventures with them.

Moderators: Vaughan, mchughcb

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Re: What are your three favorite breeds

Post by Oscar »

Here is a pic from todays practice. Ok the boy is holding it wrong in his mouth but hey he's only 11 weeks old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Holding it by the feet if I'm not mistaken :clap: :lol: :lol:

Coming along nicely for 11 weeks. Next stop swimming lessons? :)

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Well our little man's training is coming along with today him passing his formal test in beginners so that he can now graduate to the next level. He'll start his specific retriever training shortly with maybe a view to trials but definately hunting focussed. He had his first swimming lesson today as well..well that meant me going into water that...well lets just say sending the voice a octave or two higher :shock: :shock: But it gave him the confidence to come into the water without hesitation :clap: :clap:

Once he got used to that we did a number of drills into the water whilst I threw the decoy from the bank, no deeper than he could touch but he showed no reluctance to do so :dance: :dance: I was intending to get some photos but my better half for the first time in history didn't have a camera on her :doh: Maybe next time.

Though whilst he is growing up to be the big hunting dog..doesn't mean the boy can't enjoy a good nap with his teddy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Corjack
Administrator

Post by Corjack »

looks like a contented pooch.
There are no fleas on the 9.3s

Booger county time and temp
Click for weather forecast

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Oscar wrote:Well our little man's training is coming along with today him passing his formal test in beginners so that he can now graduate to the next level. He'll start his specific retriever training shortly with maybe a view to trials but definately hunting focussed. He had his first swimming lesson today as well..well that meant me going into water that...well lets just say sending the voice a octave or two higher :shock: :shock: But it gave him the confidence to come into the water without hesitation :clap: :clap:

Once he got used to that we did a number of drills into the water whilst I threw the decoy from the bank, no deeper than he could touch but he showed no reluctance to do so :dance: :dance: I was intending to get some photos but my better half for the first time in history didn't have a camera on her :doh: Maybe next time.

Though whilst he is growing up to be the big hunting dog..doesn't mean the boy can't enjoy a good nap with his teddy!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

You have to admit though yesterday was the warmest it's been for about 6 months :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Ok so we've had some warm weather lately so Monty's "water training " tempo has been increased. Last couple of nights have been taken him down and getting him to retrieve in water which he has to swim in. Well he did it the first night with no real issue though I had to be in the water, three nights later we are retrieving without the safety line and I'm on the bank all nice and dry :clap: :clap:

Little bugger shows no real fear of the water, just is a little cautious when he jumps in. Though today was funny, after a couple of drills a mob of blackies and woodies flew past and honked at us... the liitle boy looked up at me as if to say "SHOOT THEIR RIGHT THERE!!!!!!"unfortunately, no gun as I was at one of the town parks :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

But the squadron fly past again and landed..this time across the river from us (though not in the pic..just off to the right of the edge of the photo), when I threw the dummy, he got to the water and as looking at the dummy and then the ducks...he retrieved the dummy but those ducks certainly peaked his interest :dance: :dance: :dance:
045.JPG
046.JPG
047.JPG

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Good stuff :clap: :clap: :clap:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Excellent work Oscar, I"m just wondering if I can get my little sausage to do it :lol:

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

mchughcb wrote:Excellent work Oscar, I"m just wondering if I can get my little sausage to do it :lol:
Not sure but would be great to see! Over summer with some of the skin from the deer I got when we went on the blaserbuds hunt I want to get the little fella into some tracking, whilst his primary purpose is waterfowling, I have been told that the breed has an amazing nose and are great on locating game. Who knows, maybe his sense of smell will break my drought of only seeing the backsides of sambar express training down a hill to on the deck with me taking pics and thinking about what to do with all that meat :pray: :pray: :pray: haha.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I grew up with big kennels of bird dogs, my grandfather was known as the bird dog trainer in our part of the country. In our kennels we kept pointers (english and GSP, GWP), setters (english, irish, gordon), and Brittanies. But my favorite of all was a variation of the English Setter called the Llewellin Setter. I shot bobwhite quail ove my Llewellin setter Jake the years that I was a developing wing shooter, so he and I, kind of learned together. It's really sad that good dogs live only so long, Jake only lived to seven years old until he wore his heart out finding covey after covey for me to shoot.
Today I still have a Llewllin setter, his name is Cody, but the land has changed and the huge populations of Bobwhite quail are gone. I seldom shoot them any more or if I do, I only take one or two per covey. Here is a picture of my current Llewllin, Cody pointing a snipe in my back yard when he was only 9 months old. And a pic of my English Setter Jack, he is Renegade Jack formally, and a national champion shoot to retrieve field trial dog. In the second pic he has a covey of quail pointed and is honored by Rex who is a Llewellin setter. This is on the Susina Plantation located on the Florida/Georgia border http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susina_Plantation

Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Great photos Robert, thanks for sharing.

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

1. English Pointers
2. Deutsch Kurzhaars
3. Labrador retrievers

And this is my boy Gerganna INDEX(Geranna Dre x Franzini Dea) posing next to two of his many pheasants and pointing partridges. :dance:
Jordan

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

He is a great looking dog.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

mchughcb wrote:He is a great looking dog.
He certainly is.
To me, hunting with a good gundog makes the experience twice as good.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

JPBlaser

Post by JPBlaser »

Thank you.

I have grown up around drathaars and didn`t understand what hunting with a stylish dog was until I got my pointer. Never again am I getting a drathaar. The style of the pointer is out of this world... nothing can come even close to that for me. This dog gave a whole different meaning to the small game hunting I do.
It even got me thinking of getting a couple more pointers,although I need a lab for my waterfowl hunting...

Best regards,
Jordan.
Jordan

Return to “BlaserBuds Dog Diskussions”