Help please, k95 safety?

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

O4ak95

Help please, k95 safety?

Postby O4ak95 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:40 am

I haven't had the chance to fire my new k95 yet. Work keeps getting in the way...

Like all new guns it has been fondled lots. I have dry fired it a few times. Today I pulled it out of the safe for the daily fondle and brought it to my shoulder and dry fired it the click was enough to jar the safety slide to return to the rear position. I've heard of this happening on a magnum cal k95 when fired with a live round but I thought it should hold its position forward when dry fired?

Is this issue worth worrying about?

All words of wisdom appreciated.

Cheers Tim

mchughcb

Re: Help please, k95 safety?

Postby mchughcb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 am

Hi Tim,

I just carried out several tests on mine. The safety does move back slightly after firing. I suspect if it jars enough it might travel all the way back. When it travels back slightly I only have to touch it and it slides back. If I have not fired it it, then it takes a more positive effort to slide it back with your thumb to uncock it.

So at this stage I wouldn't worry about it.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Postby Gun Barrel Ecologist » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:33 am

Where was your thumb when you squeezed the trigger?

O4ak95

Postby O4ak95 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:42 am

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote:Where was your thumb when you squeezed the trigger?

Around the pistol grip. Not in contact with the slide at all. What's your thinking?

I've tested it a couple more times and it comes the whole way back on every dry fire now.

O4ak95

Postby O4ak95 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:50 am

mchughcb wrote:Hi Tim,

I just carried out several tests on mine. The safety does move back slightly after firing. I suspect if it jars enough it might travel all the way back. When it travels back slightly I only have to touch it and it slides back. If I have not fired it it, then it takes a more positive effort to slide it back with your thumb to uncock it.

Thanks Chuck, so when you say it moves back slightly is that with dry firing or firing a live round. I can't see that it can effect the safety of the rifle in any way I just thought it was suppose to stay forward after firing then automatically return to the rear when the rifle was broken for the reload?

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Postby Gun Barrel Ecologist » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:04 am

O4ak95 wrote:
Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote:Where was your thumb when you squeezed the trigger?

Around the pistol grip. Not in contact with the slide at all. What's your thinking?

I've tested it a couple more times and it comes the whole way back on every dry fire now.

From memory you can apply light thumb pressure on the slide when dry firing and it will decock as you fire - I seem to recall doing this with a BBF 97 :think:

Dinger

Postby Dinger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:24 am

My K95 is a little older but behaves thus:

Dry /Live fire: The slide moves back about 5 mm at the trigger break and will stay there if the action is broken. The slide needs to be manually returned to the rear to re-cock.

Cocked unfired: Once the action is broken the slide will return fully to the rear, automatically easing springs.

mchughcb

Postby mchughcb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:54 am

O4ak95 wrote:
mchughcb wrote:Hi Tim,

Thanks Chuck, so when you say it moves back slightly is that with dry firing or firing a live round. I can't see that it can effect the safety of the rifle in any way I just thought it was suppose to stay forward after firing then automatically return to the rear when the rifle was broken for the reload?

I noticed it moved back a little dry firing, like about 5mm as Dinger describes. Mine does stay forward but it doesn't take much to touch with the thumb and it shoots back. Mine is probably more worn out than his at the moment but is behaving the same way.

stokesrj

Postby stokesrj » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 am

I would warn against dry firing the K95. I recently had to replace the firing pin which was broken cleanly in two pieces from dry firing. I know it is tempting, the K95 just draws you in with temptations, but get a snap cap, I use one now.
As to the slide returning, to the rear, I wouldn't worry, see what it does under live fire.
Robert J Stokes

Dinger

Postby Dinger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:30 am

Thanks...that's the last time.

O4ak95

Postby O4ak95 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Dinger wrote:My K95 is a little older but behaves thus:

Dry /Live fire: The slide moves back about 5 mm at the trigger break and will stay there if the action is broken. The slide needs to be manually returned to the rear to re-cock.

Cocked unfired: Once the action is broken the slide will return fully to the rear, automatically easing springs.

Thanks for the break down Dinger! Interesting that you have to return the safety slide to the rear on your one when you have fired it and then broken the action.

O4ak95

Postby O4ak95 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:06 pm

stokesrj wrote:I would warn against dry firing the K95. I recently had to replace the firing pin which was broken cleanly in two pieces from dry firing. I know it is tempting, the K95 just draws you in with temptations, but get a snap cap, I use one now.
As to the slide returning, to the rear, I wouldn't worry, see what it does under live fire.

Cheers Bob, no more dry firing for me ... No ,I can't help myself I'd better get a snap cap too.

bback

Postby bback » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Always use snap caps when training trigger control. Especially with rimfires.

I never ever dry fire any of my rifles or shotguns. When I store a gun in my safe it's with a snap cap in the chamber unless it is a Blaser (see below). I don't want to store it for a longer time with the cocking mechanism loaded.

Regarding the K95 and Blasers generally...given that you don't have a "safety" at these rifles but a manual cocking system I honestly don't see the problems unless you're training (you just decock it when you store it).

stokesrj

Postby stokesrj » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Many guns are designed to withstand hundreds of thousand of dry fires without damage even some rim fires although special caution is advised here because peeling of the chamber is possible with some very high quality rim fires. But for instance an Anshutz 54 and dirivatives are built to take it.
Robert J Stokes

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”