What Kicks The Worst?

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

SPEEDY

Re: What Kicks The Worst?

Post by SPEEDY »

I hate the 300 mags for that reason, and the 338 mags too. You can break them and such but then they are such a pain in the butt to shoot I really hate them.

I'd rather a 375H&H then a 300 win mag.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

9.3x64 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:39 am

Me too. I have a Merkel L961 double rifle drilling in 9.3x74R and it only weighs 3.2kg. Recoil is not so bad at all, even with 320 grain Woodleighs.

I would put money on the 300 magnum being worse, because of the recoil speed.
How do you find those 320 gr Woodies perform out of your 74r? I use the 286gr RNSN in mine and am happy enough not to want to change, I'm just curious. I have used the 320s in my 9.3x62 and they shot fine but the one moose I took with them had 2 small holes going in and 2 small holes going out. Died just fine but I did wonder if the bullet acted like a solid.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Vaughan wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am

Me too. I have a Merkel L961 double rifle drilling in 9.3x74R and it only weighs 3.2kg. Recoil is not so bad at all, even with 320 grain Woodleighs.

How do you find those 320 gr Woodies perform out of your 74r? I use the 286gr RNSN in mine and am happy enough not to want to change, I'm just curious. I have used the 320s in my 9.3x62 and they shot fine but the one moose I took with them had 2 small holes going in and 2 small holes going out. Died just fine but I did wonder if the bullet acted like a solid.
Too be honest Vaughan , I have only ever used this drilling on pigs and quail. The Woodleigh 320's kill pigs very effectively but do exit most times. But the pig is always dead so that is all that matters.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

canalrifle wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:36 am I am surprised the calculations say the 9.3 x 74r has more recoil than the 300 Weatherby. I have no experience with the 300, but I had a Merkel 141 double rifle in 9.3. It was not heavy and It's recoil didn't seem any more than my R8 30-06.

I know of one person that did have a k95 in 300 win mag. Said it was a delight to carry in the field etc but was a bitch to shoot off the bench. I think he said three shots was enough for most off the bench.

I have a9.3x74 in a drilling and whilst not too bad. I have shot a lightweight 300 mag bolt gun off the bench and it just hurt....like others have said, they come back very sharp.

deerhunter338mag
Global Moderator

Post by deerhunter338mag »

sav338 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:37 am
SPEEDY wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:28 am The worst kick for me was the other night when the missus caught me having a sneaky cigarette with the brother in law after a lot of drinking.

I'd rather shoot K95 in both calibre at once then where she kicked me. :o :naughty:
My dear old mother won't have to worry about any more grand kids for a while. :shock:
That reminds me of an old CROATIAN couple.
I came up to Rudi’s farm and found him black and blue across his legs and back. I asked him what happened ,he said he must of fallen over but doesn’t remember as he was pissed as a maggot . His missus Zlata turned to me and laughed. She had belted the manure out of him for getting so pissed knowing guests were coming the next day.
Come on now... it was you wasn’t it🤣🤣🤣🤣
Measure it, when it’s on the deck

sav338
Meister der jagd

Post by sav338 »

deerhunter338mag wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:43 pm
sav338 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:37 am
SPEEDY wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:28 am The worst kick for me was the other night when the missus caught me having a sneaky cigarette with the brother in law after a lot of drinking.

I'd rather shoot K95 in both calibre at once then where she kicked me. :o :naughty:
My dear old mother won't have to worry about any more grand kids for a while. :shock:
That reminds me of an old CROATIAN couple.
I came up to Rudi’s farm and found him black and blue across his legs and back. I asked him what happened ,he said he must of fallen over but doesn’t remember as he was pissed as a maggot . His missus Zlata turned to me and laughed. She had belted the manure out of him for getting so pissed knowing guests were coming the next day.
Come on now... it was you wasn’t it🤣🤣🤣🤣

hahaha,
Na, mine wouldn't leave visible bruises
but it is a true story

John0313

Post by John0313 »

Stock design (and how well you fit the stock) are also factors that many overlook, or discount. My Sauer 200 lightweight (30-06), even with heavy bullet loads, is not the least bit uncomfortable to shoot, despite its light weight.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I second the fit issue being one that can mitigate felt recoil that the calculators fail to account for. Also the experience the shooter has in managing recoil is a huge factor. It took me a while to learn how to shoot big guns effectively but once I mastered it, guns that I used to think were heavy hitters are quite manageable now.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”