Is a K95 harder on primers then other rifles?

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

SPEEDY

Is a K95 harder on primers then other rifles?

Post by SPEEDY » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:39 am

After my initial zero/test last week I felt that my primers were excessively flattened, but found no other signs of pressure.
My copy of QL finally arrived (no more requests for me) and I've been playing with it and it seems to think my load as more on the mild side and I can squeeze in 2gn more powder.
Now before I go putting my faith in my ability to use the program should I be concerned about the primers or does the K95 due to its, design flatten the a bit more then other rifles.
I will dig up a case and take a pick, but my load with a 150gn TTSX was 58gn of AR2209 and I could apparently go up to 60gn and still be safely under Max loading.

Either way I think I'm switching to RE 17 so I can use it in the 270win and 30/06, velocity VS pressure seems to crap on all other powders in both calibres.
IMG_20191125_231313.jpg
IMG_20191125_231345.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Re: Is a K95 harder on primers then other rifles?

Post by secondtry » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:46 pm

Action type is irrelevant to how much primers flatten.

The way your rifle behaves is a far, far better indicator of what is actually happening than a QL estimate.

I have a K95 06 which when fed 57g 2209, Lapua, Fed210, 180 NPT, kicks like manure, cracks just as bad, expands case heads and flattens primers. Extracts fine. Got a bit more to do, but it looks like in this rifle, 55g, maybe 55.5 will be the go.That 57g load is usually fine in the average 06.

To paraphrase the old saying about dogs "the rifle is always right"

SPEEDY

Re: Is a K95 harder on primers then other rifles?

Post by SPEEDY » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:15 am

That's the thing, it extracts easy, loads again just fine, no sharp recoil or noise and no sign of pressure.
Funny thing is on my 38gn mouse fart loads the primers pushed out a little (I expected this) but otherwise on inspection they look identical?
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”