Blaser k95 straight stock ordered

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

O4ak95

Blaser k95 straight stock ordered

Post by O4ak95 »

After almost a year of head scratching about what configuration of K95 I wanted, the order has been sent to Blaser. Thanks to all those that have answered my K95 questions and queries over the last 12 months.

My original plan was to purchase a barrelled action from Blaser and have it fitted with a Nowak synthetic stock. This plan was quickly binned as a barrelled action was going to cost me more than a complete rifle and getting a Nowak stock was put in the too hard basket due to them never returning emails.

Last September I tried a K95 for fit at the "Sika Show",our hunting expo. The hogs back style stock wasn't for me. Eye alignment with it was good for the irons but not for the scope ( the likely hood of me using irons to hunt with is very very low) .I decided to forfeit a second barrel and spend the money on a custom stock. I drew the design and the N.Z Blaser agent who has been a great help and a pleasure to deal with put my design to scale for Blaser to craft. I have requested a 86 degree pitch on the stock as well as a palm swell and a Monte Carlo on the butt. I have upgraded to grade 4 walnut also and requested a dark coloured timber. The order is for the stock,action and forend only. I already have a as new 7mm rem mag barrel that I purchased 6 months ago.I have never had a custom stock made for me so it will be really interesting to see how close the actual stock is going to be to the design specs.
image.jpg
All going to plan it should be here by mid June for a winter Red stag hunt.

Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chalky
Meister der jagd

Re: Blaser k95 straight stock ordered

Post by chalky »

Congratulations on the new purchase, it's great that you put so much research into getting exactly what you want. I hope you have a lot of luck with it mate.
They are a beautiful rifle one I hope to have in the safe one day myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yarrenby

Post by Yarrenby »

Looks good. I had never considered that they would customise a stock for you. Obviously I should have, as the custom options are endless.

I like the look of what you came up with.

It is a real wonder that they don't offer a synthetic stock for the K95.
Last edited by Yarrenby on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you do someone a favour, forget it.
If somone does you a favour, never forget it.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Great decision. Look forward to hearing how it turns out. I never had a problem with original stock but everyone's fit is different. I love taking my k95 out, it brings a smile to my face. My guess is you won't use as much borepaste as me lol.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I had a few shotgun stocks custom fitted for me, it definitely helps in quick pointing situations. I think you will love the K95 I sure do.

Interestingly, my K95 which has an "American" grade 11 stock is very similar to what you came up with, sans the cheek piece. This gun was the original K95 show gun built to introduce the K95 to the American market by Sig Sauer. I don't think it was a huge success, since there are probably only a few dozen K95's in the US today.

I assume you had the stock fitted for upright use, like shooting offhand or off sticks? That is one of the problems I have with fitting a rifle stock to me. It is different offhand, sitting, prone. If one fits perfectly, the others have to be compromises. My K95 fits perfectly offhand but is a little long for best prone use.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing how it works out for you, and all the hunts you take it on.
Robert J Stokes

O4ak95

Post by O4ak95 »

chalky wrote:Congratulations on the new purchase, it's great that you put so much research into getting exactly what you want. I hope you have a lot of luck with it mate.

Thanks Steve, the k95 is the only Blaser that has ever really spun my wheels. The ability to have a package that is lightweight, accurate and takedown is the ultimate for me. I do a lot more walking through dead country than a lot of people and it will be great to have this bit of kit in my pack and have 2 free hands (especially when crossing mountain rivers :D ).As soon as I get to my hunting area reassemble the rifle and start stalking!

Tim

O4ak95

Post by O4ak95 »

Yarrenby wrote:Looks good. I had never considered that they would customise a stock for you. Obviously I should have, as the custom options are endless.

I like the look of what you came up with.

It is a real wonder that they don't offer a synthetic stock for the K95.
Grant,
I pestered Blaser on several occasions about making a synthetic stock for the k95 and they informed me that they had no intentions of it in the near future.

I think they will pretty much make any stock design that you might come up with, at a cost! It was $2500 nz extra ,hence I dropped the extra barrel out of my order.

Tim

O4ak95

Post by O4ak95 »

mchughcb wrote:Great decision. Look forward to hearing how it turns out. I never had a problem with original stock but everyone's fit is different. I love taking my k95 out, it brings a smile to my face. My guess is you won't use as much borepaste as me lol.
Chuck,
What you did was pretty impressive. I don't know of anyone else that can claim that they use bore paste to find a scope fault :lol:
If I can get my k95 to shoot as well as yours I'll be very happy!

Tim

O4ak95

Post by O4ak95 »

stokesrj wrote:I had a few shotgun stocks custom fitted for me, it definitely helps in quick pointing situations. I think you will love the K95 I sure do.

Interestingly, my K95 which has an "American" grade 11 stock is very similar to what you came up with, sans the cheek piece. This gun was the original K95 show gun built to introduce the K95 to the American market by Sig Sauer. I don't think it was a huge success, since there are probably only a few dozen K95's in the US today.

I assume you had the stock fitted for upright use, like shooting offhand or off sticks? That is one of the problems I have with fitting a rifle stock to me. It is different offhand, sitting, prone. If one fits perfectly, the others have to be compromises. My K95 fits perfectly offhand but is a little long for best prone use.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing how it works out for you, and all the hunts you take it on.
Hi Bob,
It was a really hard to decide on exact comb height. All of my bushhunting for red stags is freestanding. If I'm on private property where the country is a bit more open I'm usually shooting prone or sitting. In the South Island if I'm hunting Tahr or Chamois all shots are prone. In the end I went with a comb height that was 5mm higher than the original "American stocked " k95 that had zero drop at comb. I did this because I have no intention of using irons, I like a lot of cheek on the stock and I thought it would be more practical to get a higher scope mount than try to raise the comb height with a add on cheek rest that I see a lot of people using on their R8 rifles. The original k95 "America stock" also had a fairly gentle curve in the pistol grip. The grip on my design is a lot more upright like that of the r8. I've gone with the same scope you put on your k95 ,the z3 4-12 bt.
Fingers crossed it fits me like a glove for at least a couple of shooting positions. Might be a very expensive mistake if I've got it wrong.

Cheers Tim

chalky
Meister der jagd

Post by chalky »

O4ak95 wrote:
Chalky wrote:Congratulations on the new purchase, it's great that you put so much research into getting exactly what you want. I hope you have a lot of luck with it mate.

Thanks Steve, the k95 is the only Blaser that has ever really spun my wheels. The ability to have a package that is lightweight, accurate and takedown is the ultimate for me. I do a lot more walking through dead country than a lot of people and it will be great to have this bit of kit in my pack and have 2 free hands (especially when crossing mountain rivers :D ).As soon as I get to my hunting area reassemble the rifle and start stalking!

Tim
Yeah the Blaser/K95 system sure makes sense when your dealing with tricky terrain like that. I'm looking forward to seeing your first red stag on the ground with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Very wise choice Tim.
Fit is far more important than a second barrell. I had Merkel do a similar thing for me a few years back on a sidelock shotgun.
That gun fits me like no other and I can actually hit things with it, money very well spent.
I think Blaser needs to bring out a similar style stock as your design in synthetic.
Enjoy mate.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Your design would benefit my fractured right wrist. I would like the pistol grip ever so slightly more upright.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

O4ak95 wrote:. I drew the design and the N.Z Blaser agent who has been a great help and a pleasure to deal with put my design to scale for Blaser to craft. I have requested a 86 degree pitch on the stock as well as a palm swell and a Monte Carlo on the butt. I have upgraded to grade 4 walnut also and requested a dark coloured timber. The order is for the stock,action and forend only.
Tim
https://youtu.be/Z7MC8Lw5e9Q?t=113

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

O4ak95 wrote:
Hi Bob,
It was a really hard to decide on exact comb height. All of my bushhunting for red stags is freestanding. If I'm on private property where the country is a bit more open I'm usually shooting prone or sitting. In the South Island if I'm hunting Tahr or Chamois all shots are prone. In the end I went with a comb height that was 5mm higher than the original "American stocked " k95 that had zero drop at comb. I did this because I have no intention of using irons, I like a lot of cheek on the stock and I thought it would be more practical to get a higher scope mount than try to raise the comb height with a add on cheek rest that I see a lot of people using on their R8 rifles. The original k95 "America stock" also had a fairly gentle curve in the pistol grip. The grip on my design is a lot more upright like that of the r8. I've gone with the same scope you put on your k95 ,the z3 4-12 bt.
Fingers crossed it fits me like a glove for at least a couple of shooting positions. Might be a very expensive mistake if I've got it wrong.

Cheers Tim[/quote]
It looks really good, and I would also prefer the more vertical grip.
let us know how she goes.
Bob
Robert J Stokes

Darrylt

Post by Darrylt »

Hi,
I'm interested in your custom stock project for your K95.
I live here in NZ also and have been looking at a similar exercise for my 95.
We discussed with Blaser through Stager Sport the option of fitting up a BD 14 stock to the 95 of which they indicated no problems with but all at a price of course.
The BD 14 stock feel appealed to me being more straight and a deeper grip hence the enquiry to Blaser.
I would be keen to see your stock once completed if possible as I'm looking to address the same issues that you have described.

Cheers
Darryl

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”