BD14 impressions after one year of owning it

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

SPEEDY

Re: BD14 impressions after one year of owning it

Post by SPEEDY »

stokesrj wrote:There are other places to hunt deer other than Victoria, you do know this don't you? :)

No don't say that out loud, you will unleash the beast. :lol:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Theo sent some pics today. For the first time I saw the luxus BD14 , that I'd thought was presold. With prices ranging from 10 to 12.5K, I might have to leave it until next years birthday, in the meantime I'll continue to use the cheaper, but still highly effective BBF :lol:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Is the BD14 legal for hunting Deer and Ducks in VIC?

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Probably not but who is going to pull you up and there's plenty of other species to hunt.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

That's what held me back from buying a Drilling, if I move down south more I will wind up hunting in VIC a lot.
So it made more sense to buy a rifle then the Drilling.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I think every hunter should have a combo gun of some sort in their arsenal. Im sure one day i will have a bock drilling.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Same here, but it will be a toy more then the serious hunting arm that it should be.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I'm finding the BD14 to be a pretty serious gun, far more useful than I had first believed. It is a bit of work to find the optimum loads in combination between calibers and regulation. But once you have invested this work, it is a serious tool indeed. I'm now up to 15 animals taken with 14 shots with mine. I have absolute faith in it up to 300 yards with the 30-06, 200 yards with the .222, and 50 yards with the 20 gauge slug. At normal hunting ranges it is a very deadly combination.
I still prefer my R8 when I expect more than two shots in rapid succession, and my K95 for when I need the extra light weight of mountain ascents and my F3 for pass shooting birds, but for all around hunting the BD14 pretty much fills the bill.
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

No they are good and very useful, it's all about hunting regulations not about the usefulness of a particular gun.

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I bought a new to me scope for my BD14 from Blaser Bud Craig, a Zeiss 1.5-6X42 HT rail with #60 reticle capped turrets. I wanted a slightly smaller, lighter and more versatile scope than my 3-12X56 HT, one that I could use for driven hunts, stalks and from the hochsitz and since in Europe most of the hunting is 200 yards or less I don't need the ASV+ especially since the 3-12 didnt fit my Blaser A case.

As I was preparing to sight it in I had this strange thought, I had never tried the Hornady 178 grain ELD-X Precision Hunter loading in my 30-06 barrel. I had some left over from the R8 30-06 to 308 comparison testing I did so I grabbed them just to see how they would do.

As it turns out the only range available to me on this day was the indoor 100 yard range near my house so I thought at least I can get a rough zero. After adjusting the span of the Blaser QD mount to fit the BD14, I bore sighted it by looking down the bore and seeing where the cross hairs were, it seemed perfect for windage and maybe just a tad low but would be well on paper so I ran the target out to 50 yards and shot a three shot group from the Precision Hunter loading. I chose 50 yards because it is an easy distance to test fire to insure all is well after travel and it would put it back on at 200 yards just a convenient sighting strategy.

The first three shots were encouraging to say the least, dead on windage as it had appeared in bore sighting and just an inch and a half low so I took it up six clicks and fired another three shot group which was just about centered.
fullsizeoutput_294d.jpeg
I now needed to regulate the .222 barrel to the 30-06 which was a breeze taking only three shots. The key to this is remembering which way the adjustments move the point of impact. The front windage is intuitive clockwise moves it right, the vertical adjustment which is under the forearm is the opposite of what I would think clockwise moves the point of impact down.

After this adjustment I fired one shot from the 30-06 followed by the .222 just to verify.
fullsizeoutput_294c.jpeg
I'm thrilled to find two factory loads that shoot well from this rifle (drilling) the Hornady 178 ELd-X Precision Hunter and Lapua 55 grain soft point. I'm pretty happy with how it did at 50 yards and will then verify at 100 and 200 yards once I am able to pick up some more of the Precision Hunter loadings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

That's impressive.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Thats a gun that will cover a lot of gsme in a lot of places, it definitely looks good. :handgestures-thumbup:

Blasernovice

Post by Blasernovice »

Impressive grouping! Now you are set for Elk, grouse and coyote!

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Post by Joe338ST »

Very, very nice gun and grouping. But lots of coin to get one. Wondered how they looked and google showed me.

Great writeup Rob with loads already just about worked out for anyone wanting the same combination.

Joe
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Lucky im taking the K95 stutzen out this arvo which will prevent me heading to mialls to look at the three bd14s in stock lol.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”