BD14 impressions after one year of owning it

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

stokesrj

Re: BD14 impressions after one year of owning it

Post by stokesrj »

19E0A81C-53CB-4817-97B6-6029EBCF0666.jpeg
The 222 mini mega is the name I made up for it, Lapua refers to this bullet as a soft point or a Scenar soft point in some of their literature. It is one of two bullets offered in 222 loadings by Lapua. The other is also 55 grains but in full metal jacket configuration. My BD14 shoots them better than any 40, 45, or 50 grain I have tried and both shoot to the same point of aim when loaded to the factory load velocities of just over 2800 fps.
I’ve shot a number of animals with the softpoint and a few with the solids. The soft points do a pretty good job on larger varmints or even medium sized wild boars while the solids do really well on birds or small game for the pot. Even a 150 lb boar I shoulder shot with the softpoint died quickly and made a blind run of only 30 yards or so for an easy recovery. To my surprise it broke the off side shoulder and held together rather well, but stopped against the hide without exiting.
I bought a case of each factory load and 500 of each bullet so I have plenty of Lapua brass and bullets to reload. My hand loads equal but do not outperform the factory loadings.
Here is a pic of the one I recovered from the boar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

mchughcb wrote:Must resist. As i dont need a 222 lol!

Chuck, it’s unAustralian not to have a 222 :lol:

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

Thanks Bob.

Those 222 factory loads could a very good reason why Blaser break actions are available in 222 and not 223.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Its in there, they regard 3 barrel guns as punt guns.
It was aimed at ducks but transferred to deer by default, there was talk of correcting this but changes are very slow to happen unless its further restrictions.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Then it did get through, some common sence at last.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

SPEEDY wrote:Then it did get through, some common sence at last.
Yes, brilliant.
Now Chuck has no excuse to not buy a BD14. :lol:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Gee this new law change makes my Merkel double rifle 9.3 drilling, an awesome Sambar gun. :dance:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Somebody hasnt told me. The Act not the regulations make mention of three barrel guns. The regs were changed in 2012 and not due to be reviewed until 2022.

Combo guns are already legal and can use slugs.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Wildlife act
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domin ... 99a076.pdf
Wildlife (game) regulations
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domin ... marked.pdf

Someone :whistle: was pushing for 10g shotguns for ducks when the regs were reviewed, it was pointed out that the definition of a punt gun as “larger than 12 gauge and or containing three or more barrels” was in the Act not the regs. One ponders if it was spite that then saw someone proclaiming that that definition includes drillings, and out of ignorance DSE agreeing with such an interpretation.
As I’ve stated before the quickest was to get it reviewed would be hunt with one, get caught and dispute any charges in court as it is an interpretation of an act stated as a policy imho

Oscar
Meister der jagd

Post by Oscar »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote:Wildlife act
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domin ... 99a076.pdf
Wildlife (game) regulations
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domin ... marked.pdf

Someone :whistle: was pushing for 10g shotguns for ducks when the regs were reviewed, it was pointed out that the definition of a punt gun as “larger than 12 gauge and or containing three or more barrels” was in the Act not the regs. One ponders if it was spite that then saw someone proclaiming that that definition includes drillings, and out of ignorance DSE agreeing with such an interpretation.
As I’ve stated before the quickest was to get it reviewed would be hunt with one, get caught and dispute any charges in court as it is an interpretation of an act stated as a policy imho
I must admit every time I read that piece of legislation I think it should be read with an “and” but unfortunately it has a “ or” because to be a punt gun it would need to have all those feature. Heck under that a .22 benchrest experiemental rifle would meet the criteria on weight?

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”