BD14 impressions after one year of owning it

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Joe338ST
Meister der jagd

Re: BD14 impressions after one year of owning it

Post by Joe338ST »

Best to sometimes avoid pain to the hip pocket and just dream..... my wife can be deadly.....

Joe
Joe

I hunt, I shoot, I camp, I fish. They are the great reset buttons in my life.

ebrownw2
Meister der jagd

Post by ebrownw2 »

I wish y'all would let this thread die. The longer all the "BD14s are so awesome" talk goes on the more likely it is I'll have to have one.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

Gee that's impressive Bob, what a great result!
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

I cannot believe Chuck and Theo have not done a deal with Mialls for two of those BD14s they have in stock with their names on them... :dance:

TheoR8
Meister der jagd

Post by TheoR8 »

9.3x64 wrote:I cannot believe Chuck and Theo have not done a deal with Mialls for two of those BD14s they have in stock with their names on them... :dance:
I love my R8's too much mate, I'm even thinking about buying another one and getting it painted blaze orange, I saw on faceache that Mialls done, it looked pretty sexy lol. :think: :think: :think: :handgestures-thumbup:

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

9.3x64 wrote:I cannot believe Chuck and Theo have not done a deal with Mialls for two of those BD14s they have in stock with their names on them... :dance:
If only I could take a break from hunting, I'd get down to mialls to talk myself into it. However everytime I shoot another critter with the BBF97, I sit down on a tree stump and ask myself do I really need one - yup :lol:

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Need, why does that word still show up in these sorts of conversations. :lol:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Shooting the BD14 at the range some more yesterday just to practice. I really like the Zeiss 1.5-6X42 HT rail mount on the BD14, it makes a really nice combination. I was practicing off hand shooting at 50 yards and several fellows gathered watching it and one asked how will it do at longer ranges. They were thinking 100 yards is a longer range so I told them that I would move over to the 100 yard range when I was done with this practice session and show them.
So, when I finished, I set up my gear on a 100 yard bench and invited them over to see. I shot three shots from the 30-06 and three shots from the .222. Since I knew precisely where the impact would be at 100 yards I held below the center of bullseye the appropriate amount and placed a less than one MOA six shot group in the very center. The onlooking crowd couldn't believe it. Of course I didn't tell them I had to go through all kinds of combinations of loads and regulations to arrive at this point, but it was fun watching their faces. One guy said he didn't know anyone even made a drilling anymore and that he thought they had gone by the wayside 75 years ago.
Robert J Stokes

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Must resist. As i dont need a 222 lol!

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I wrote that especially for you Chuck :)
Robert J Stokes

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

Sure you do just listen to that little voice in your head saying buy it, buy it. :lol:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

stokesrj wrote:I wrote that especially for you Chuck :)
:clap: :clap:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

Yesterday, I verified sighting and regulation of my BD14 and was satisfied with how it shoots with the 178 grain Hornady ELDX at about 2600 fps from the 30-06 and the Lapua 55 grain (mini mega) soft point at about 2800 fps. So today, I loaded a couple hundred each to tide me over until I can unpack my reloading gear in Arizona.
87B5F88C-844F-482C-84A7-D862B9726658.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert J Stokes

secondtry
Meister der jagd

Post by secondtry »

stokesrj wrote:Yesterday, I verified sighting and regulation of my BD14 and was satisfied with how it shoots with the 178 grain Hornady ELDX at about 2600 fps from the 30-06 and the Lapua 55 grain (mini mega) soft point at about 2800 fps. So today, I loaded a couple hundred each to tide me over until I can unpack my reloading gear in Arizona.
I was unaware of that 55g mini-mega Bob. That would make the 222 into a giant killer. Presumably it is short and stumpy and works in the slow 222 twist. I wonder how it compares to the 60g Partition ?

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

secondtry wrote:
stokesrj wrote:Yesterday, I verified sighting and regulation of my BD14 and was satisfied with how it shoots with the 178 grain Hornady ELDX at about 2600 fps from the 30-06 and the Lapua 55 grain (mini mega) soft point at about 2800 fps. So today, I loaded a couple hundred each to tide me over until I can unpack my reloading gear in Arizona.
I was unaware of that 55g mini-mega Bob. That would make the 222 into a giant killer. Presumably it is short and stumpy and works in the slow 222 twist. I wonder how it compares to the 60g Partition ?
Neither was I.
Certainly gives the many slow twist 222 and 223 's a new edge.

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”