BB97 stock question

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Vaughan

Re: BB97 stock question

Post by Vaughan »

I'm thinking the same.... I've fondled one a few times already. I had been considering the Zeiss just for the fun of it but I now have a spare SR mount so the only question really is 1-8 or 1.7-13? (then there is the matter of paying for it.... :whistle: :shhh: )
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Well its your call as you know the distances you are hunting but for 99% of my hunting 8X would more than adequate for deer with the BBF and enough for belting a fox at 200m with the 9.3x74R. Not sure about Capers at 300 though, then I'd probably move to the big magnification.

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

Vaughan wrote:I'm thinking the same.... I've fondled one a few times already. I had been considering the Zeiss just for the fun of it but I now have a spare SR mount so the only question really is 1-8 or 1.7-13? (then there is the matter of paying for it.... :whistle: :shhh: )
I have a box with a brand-new 1,7-13,3x42 Flexchange and SR rail sitting next to me - now I have to find the time to put it on my K95... I am sure, You will love that scope and I would probably take this over the 1-8x24, except You are planing DangerousGame or driven hunts in narrow forests... :whistle:
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.com

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

8x is plenty. I think I've shot all but one of the moose I've taken in the last 10 years at 6x or lower.

The higher mag is useful for roe and fox but that is where the existing Z6i comes in, which might go better on a 12ga 7mm combo rather than the 8mm R8 now I think of it.... :think: So many options, so little money.... :roll: :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Pigeon wrote:
Vaughan wrote:I'm thinking the same.... I've fondled one a few times already. I had been considering the Zeiss just for the fun of it but I now have a spare SR mount so the only question really is 1-8 or 1.7-13? (then there is the matter of paying for it.... :whistle: :shhh: )
I have a box with a brand-new 1,7-13,3x42 Flexchange and SR rail sitting next to me - now I have to find the time to put it on my K95... I am sure, You will love that scope and I would probably take this over the 1-8x24, except You are planing DangerousGame or driven hunts in narrow forests... :whistle:
Driven hunts in narrow forests pretty much sums up 80% of the rifles expected use. I think I'll pass on dangerous game, although the "old man who whistles in the forest" made his presence known on Saturday, so you never know.... :shifty:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

As something the size of a moose and running or moving most of the time is better done with a red dot or a low power scope.
I've been a big proponent of not over scoping a rifle, but I keep seeing people hunting with 16x scopes etc on their rifles.
I put it down to more people spending time at the range then in the field. Ive seen more missed shots from not getting a clear sight picture or one in a reasonable amount of time then from not having enough magnification.
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

SPEEDY wrote:As something the size of a moose and running or moving most of the time is better done with a red dot or a low power scope.
I've been a big proponent of not over scoping a rifle, but I keep seeing people hunting with 16x scopes etc on their rifles.
I put it down to more people spending time at the range then in the field. Ive seen more missed shots from not getting a clear sight picture or one in a reasonable amount of time then from not having enough magnification.
In general I agree. I just don't like red dots. I'm sure they are great but every time I pick one up I put it down again. The 1-8x scope would be hard to beat for my purposes I think.

I do use a monster scope on 1 rifle, the 10-60x March that sits on my 6BR. I shoot birds and foxes with it, almost invariably off a bipod or backpack. I don't think I've ever shot anything but paper cranked up over 40X, and it gets kinda fuzzy over 50X. But at 30-40X it is a fabulous scope for shooting birds during winter.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

You won´t regret the 1-8x24 either! A lot of scope, but I need to hunt in the dawn or at night, so the 42mm spends much more light gathering then a 24 mm lens only...

There are people using more a high power and others using more the lower power. I am definitely one of the high power party and scopes have between 10x and 16x ... and at least 42 mm now... ;-)

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Pigeon wrote:You won´t regret the 1-8x24 either! A lot of scope, but I need to hunt in the dawn or at night, so the 42mm spends much more light gathering then a 24 mm lens only...

There are people using more a high power and others using more the lower power. I am definitely one of the high power party and scopes have between 10x and 16x ... and at least 42 mm now... ;-)
It was mostly the light gathering aspect that had me thinking of the 1,7-13x. I've not checked how the FOV compares? Well, nothing for now, i'll worry about that for next season.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

I've never used a red dot before either, well not on a hunting rifle anyway.
I definitely agree with the 1-8 although the 2-7 kahles is still my favourite, although since they dropped them I've chosen the 3-10x50 Kahles as my go to scope.
Although if they brought the 2-7 back then I'd jump back on that bandwagon like a shot.

The 10x is much more then I usually need and only come in handy when spotlighting or zeroing.
Id not however be handy capped with a max of 7x unless head shooting foxes etc at longer ranges.

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

Vaughan wrote:
Pigeon wrote:You won´t regret the 1-8x24 either! A lot of scope, but I need to hunt in the dawn or at night, so the 42mm spends much more light gathering then a 24 mm lens only...

It was mostly the light gathering aspect that had me thinking of the 1,7-13x. I've not checked how the FOV compares? Well, nothing for now, i'll worry about that for next season.
You find all the technical data on my website ("Eigenschaften") on the specific scope, or on the Zwar´s website: the 1,0 has a maximum of 42,5 m while the 42mm has 25,2 m.

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

And that FOV is a big difference.

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

mchughcb wrote:And that FOV is a big difference.
That's the biggest thing IMO, no matter how how tight a group you csn shoot or how clear you can make out out your game.
If you can't locate your game quickly in the scope then you won't be able to shoot anyway.

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

I have to laugh whilst reading these comments for scoping big game rifles - I keep coming back to my conclusion that a 1.5-6x42 covers it all; high FOV at low power and enough magnification and light gathering for longer shots on twilight in dimly lit forests.

The reason I laugh is I own two 1-4x24s and three 2.5-10x56s, no 1.5-6x42s :lol: :lol:

stokesrj

Post by stokesrj »

I like a big field of view, but if you have difficulty locating game with a 25 meter field of view you're doing something wrong. Either the gun doesn't fit you, or you haven't trained well enough to develop muscle memory needed to point the gun properly. I can shoot a 12X scope with both eyes open and shoot a going away clay pigeon easy enough with it. To me it simply isn't a critical parameter. I have true 1X, 1.4X, 1.7X, 2X, 3X, and 4X minimum power hunting scopes and can use any of them on moving game. I just picked up one of the Swarovski Z8 1.7-13.3X and am anxious to see how it works out.
Robert J Stokes

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”