BB97 stock question

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Re: BB97 stock question

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Pigeon wrote:It is a shame for Blaser that they make this fuzzy insert from plastic - therefor the full performance of the Swarovski SR rail could not be used. It should have been milled from metal instead! This is just a cheap way Blaser goes for saving a bunch of money.

Well, mostly I have seen this happen, when the screws have not been tightened enough (but normaly the recoil should not be transferred by friction from the SR-rail to the scope mount, and therefor it should be independent from the screw´s torque given, but it is not with just the Blaser scope mount.

Call Blaser for a free spare part - they should know how much manure they produce with that cheap plastic insert!!! If they tell You, this is not normal: I have seen more then just this... ! Promised .

Use a torque wrench next time and load the screws to the maxmum torque possible and secure them with Loctite 243.
Or call me if You want some metal insert instead ;-)
Have they always been plastic? I bought my SR rail mount in '04 and seem to recall them being metal as I've not had to touch the mount since other than tightening the crossbolts that hold the base to the barrel :think:

Now that you've got me curious, and pondering if a recently discovered 5cm shift in elevation with that scope isnt just due to degraded handloads :? , what is the correct torque for the SR feet screws?

And on the topic of recoil, have you seen the round lug of Blaser saddlemounts get deformed/scarred from contacting (an unusually sharp?) edge of the divot in the barrel? Is this normal?

Sorry for the :text-threadjacked: Vaughan but once again someones trials and tribulations end up most edifying for even those of us without BBF/BB 95-97s :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Gun Barrel Ecologist wrote:
Now that you've got me curious, and pondering if a recently discovered 5cm shift in elevation with that scope isnt just due to degraded handloads :? , what is the correct torque for the SR feet screws?

And on the topic of recoil, have you seen the round lug of Blaser saddlemounts get deformed/scarred from contacting (an unusually sharp?) edge of the divot in the barrel? Is this normal?

Sorry for the :text-threadjacked: Vaughan but once again someones trials and tribulations end up most edifying for even those of us without BBF/BB 95-97s :handgestures-thumbupleft:
No worries. :handgestures-thumbup:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

No, those inserts have always been plastic at Blaser - they are no Titanium Gunworks scope mounts, which are milled from a single piece of solid Titanium with even the teeth... ;-)

Well, correct torque is 3,0 Nm for the nut screws...
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.com

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Pigeon wrote: they are no Titanium Gunworks scope mounts, which are milled from a single piece of solid Titanium with even the teeth... ;-)...
So why didn't you sell me one of those to begin with, instead of the plastic fantastic from Blaser? :? :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

On the off-chance I can't get my scope base fixed for the BBF in time for opening week - I put a spare scope on the R93 today. The scope is just an old 3-9x Bausch and Lomb but it works fine for moose. I had made up a bunch of different loads with different lead-free bullets over the winter but never settled on anything after buying the BBF, so I decided to use a box of mild TTSX loads from a few years ago I had never hunted with. The scope had never been on this bbl and it took 4 shots to get it on target, then I shot this little group. After the the fuss with the other riflescope, this was a pleasant experience. A little tweek, and job done 8-)
2017-08-22 14.41.16 copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Lol it sounds like my k95 when the scope let go.

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

Vaughan wrote:
Pigeon wrote: they are no Titanium Gunworks scope mounts, which are milled from a single piece of solid Titanium with even the teeth... ;-)...
So why didn't you sell me one of those to begin with, instead of the plastic fantastic from Blaser? :? :lol:
Does not fit the Blaser... ;-)

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Pigeon wrote:
Vaughan wrote:
Does not fit the Blaser... ;-)

Well that just sucks.... and you call yourself an engineer... :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

To cut a long and tedious story short, I now have a new Blaser rail mount for this scope thanks to our friend at Titanium Gunworks. The older mount not only had a busted plastic insert but bent screws. It was quicker to get a new mount but I will fix up the other and have it as a spare for the next scope..... 8-)

I can't thank or praise Pigeon enough for his help. I could not have gotten this sorted as well or as quickly if I had needed to resort to my local store.

The outcome? Scope remounted and the screws bedded in with Loctite this time... Today after shooting the bottom bbl back in and then regulating again the top bbl, I shot the target below at 150m, which was the distance I typically zero for moose hunting.

74R bbl regulation.jpg
I know if I tweaked the top bbl a bit more I could do even better but I'm pretty sure the moose wouldn't notice the difference. I've now stripped the gun down and cleaned it. I'll adjust the scope down a little and if I can shoot something close to this again tomorrow :pray: :pray: :pray: , I'll be good to go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

What? That sort of grouping at 150m and you'd be happy? Come on Vaughan, its only another 1/16th of a turn apart :lol:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

mchughcb wrote:What? That sort of grouping at 150m and you'd be happy? Come on Vaughan, its only another 1/16th of a turn apart :lol:
True, and the moose is going to think, "Ha! That bullet only went through my lung, not my heart, if you had only put another 1/16 of a turn on the screw, you would have killed me"..... :lol:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Pigeon
Pro Staff

Post by Pigeon »

Good luck for the moose hunt! Glad it works now... ;-)

Best regards,
Klaus

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

Vaughan wrote:
mchughcb wrote:What? That sort of grouping at 150m and you'd be happy? Come on Vaughan, its only another 1/16th of a turn apart :lol:
True, and the moose is going to think, "Ha! That bullet only went through my lung, not my heart, if you had only put another 1/16 of a turn on the screw, you would have killed me"..... :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Vaughan wrote:To cut a long and tedious story short, I now have a new Blaser rail mount for this scope thanks to our friend at Titanium Gunworks. The older mount not only had a busted plastic insert but bent screws. It was quicker to get a new mount but I will fix up the other and have it as a spare for the next scope..... 8-)

I can't thank or praise Pigeon enough for his help. I could not have gotten this sorted as well or as quickly if I had needed to resort to my local store.

Can you post us a pic or two old mount pulled apart showing the bent screws and busted up mount parts?

And Pigeon am I correct that the screws and blocks can be bought separately to overhaul the mount? I'm thinking I should pull my SR mount apart for a service so it'd be good to have the spares if needed :think:

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

2017-08-25 07.19.12.jpg
These are the base screws. Only one is seriously bent but the others are not in great shape. The "nuts" I did not photograph but they seem OK. Now that I have the new base, I'm inclined to see if I can replace these as well since it will be a while before I get a new scope to put on this base.....
2017-08-18 16.51.56.jpg
This is the plastic insert I posted above somewhere. You can see where the scope tore all the teeth off.

I understand from Klaus that Blaser will replace the plastic piece and he has sourced some new screws for me. I'm sure he will have extras if you are interested but there are different versions of the base so it may be your screws are different, check with him.

This is basically down to poor maintenance on my part. The scope had been sitting on my R93 ´62 for hundreds of rounds without issue. When I switched it over to the '74R I did check the base screws and they seemed snug to me but I didn't check with a torque wrench so they might have been a bit loose. I'd never had problems so did not expect to encounter any... I'll pay more attention to this in future and I put the base screws is using Loctite Blue this time so hopefully they wont shake loose again. :pray:
/Vaughan

Real dogs have beards

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”