New Member, New BBF95

Sponsored by Luxus Arms.

Moderators: Gun Barrel Ecologist, Dom, mchughcb, pagosawingnut

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Re: New Member, New BBF95

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

Its only 90mm to those of us use to metric and doesn't have the advantage of the Swarovski's spring buffered focus.

I doubt you'll cop it with the 6,5 but 3 inch magnum slug loads in the shotgun tube might bring it close enough for country dancing

MM
Meister der jagd

Post by MM »

I have shot 12Ga. 3" Mag slugs and turkey loads through mine and so far have not been kissed by the scope. I think the stock design helps position your head to minimize the chances of the scope hitting you.

Dr. P

Post by Dr. P »

As per the consensus of this group earlier, I have ordered 50 Winchester Super-X Ammunition 20 Gauge 2-3/4" 3/4 oz Rifled Slugs. The gun will be 8 lbs plus with a one pound scope mounted so I would think the recoil should be manageable. More to come when I receive the gun from U.K. In a month or two. Thanks all!
Dr. P

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

More than manageable . I fire 12g 3" rottweill magnum exact slugs out of mine off the bench. The old 3" 2oz No 4 Winchester magnum loads can be quite lethal on ducks on the wing well past 50 yards with the BBF, as some blaserbuds have witnessed.

Dr. P

Post by Dr. P »

So time for an update. 6.5x65R RWS ammo has proved to be very hard to find in the states. New England Custom Guns has promised to add me to their next order with RWS but meanwhile they referred me to Superior Ammo in South Carolina.

Lonnie at Superior has been incredibly helpful to this neophyte (me). Huntington Die Specialties has RWS brass in 6.5X65R and Superior Ammo is going load me various loads so I can see what this BBF 95 likes. Huntington is going to make me a set of dies within 6 weeks that Superior will use to reload my test cartridges. Once I have a good supply of ammo that works well for the gun, I will retain the dies for the future.

The gun came in from London today and it looks to have been built around 2000 and is a 95% condition piece. Great balance and the fit and finish is outstanding.

My local Blaser rep in Charlotte, New London Arms ( http://newlondonarms.com) is going to mount my Kahles 1.1 -4x scope (used) for me and I hope to be on my way to get it sighted in. I would like a BBF95 owners manual. Any suggestion on that?

Also, I am thinking of ordering a set of Bergstutzen barrels for it to use out west where longer range shots are the norm. Would also get another used higher power scope for this set up. I am not clear on how important it is to stay with rimmed cartridges. I do I think 22 Hornet over 7x65R would be a useful comb if the need for rimmed cartridges in break open guns is a pressing one. Otherwise I would opt for .222 over 270 Winchester or .308. Thoughts???

Looking for all useful guidance!

Best,
Dr. P

mchughcb

Post by mchughcb »

I would stick with the 6.5x65R for a while. When you are ready a 222 over 308 or 270Win would be my choice.

Here is a thread on my mates BBF97 in 270 Win. He is very pleased with its performance.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11539

Gun Barrel Ecologist

Post by Gun Barrel Ecologist »

If you like going down the same path as you currently do for ammo there is always the .30R Blaser and 5,6x50R Magnum :twisted:

9.3x64
Meister der jagd

Post by 9.3x64 »

The 7x65R and 22 Hornet make a lot of sense for anything from small game to deer at longer ranges.
The 7x65R is not that far behind the 7mm RM and the 22 Hornet is ... well it's a sweet little "useful" cartridge with minimal noise.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
Hunt with a German Shorthaired Pointer.

dieselten
Meister der jagd

Post by dieselten »

You could buy another used BBF from Europe for what a set of new barrels will cost in the US, plus a scope mount too

SPEEDY

Post by SPEEDY »

dieselten wrote:You could buy another used BBF from Europe for what a set of new barrels will cost in the US, plus a scope mount too
And you could probably buy a new set of barrels in the states for less then a used set would cost in Australia :shock:
I'm soft and I don't care. :dance:

Return to “Drillings, Combinations, Doubles and Singles”